Marksmanship Hunter PvP Best Arena Compositions (Dragonflight 10.2)
Team composition in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena is very important, because not all classes work well together. Here, we give you the best compositions you can have for your Marksmanship Hunter (i.e., the best classes to pair with it).
This page is part of our Marksmanship Hunter PvP Guide.
Things to look for in partners as Marksmanship
- Ability to crowd control on the "Disorient" Diminishing return
Examples: Psychic Scream, Cyclone, Blind, Blinding Light, Blinding Sleet, Intimidating Shout
- Ability to stun a kill target every 30 seconds when there is a
Freezing Trap on healer
Examples: Kidney Shot, Storm Bolt, Hammer of Justice
- Ability to do high single-target burst damage, preferably every 30 or 60
Examples: Feral Frenzy, Symbols of Death, Avenging Wrath, Pillar of Frost
- Ability to apply a short stun on healers to set up traps every 60 seconds
when Intimidation is not available
Examples: Cheap Shot, Mighty Bash, Rake (With Shadowmeld), Holy Word: Chastise
- Ability to peel when you are stunned, either with damage reductions or
crowd control breaks
Examples: Intervene, Blessing of Protection, Blessing of Freedom, Blessing of Sanctuary, Cyclone, Ursol's Vortex, Disarm, Dismantle
Things to avoid in partners as Marksmanship
- Specs that rely on "multi-dotting" (keeping damage over time effects
on multiple members of the enemy team, which would be removed when you
Scatter Shot or Freezing Trap the enemy)
Examples: Affliction Warlocks, Elemental Shamans, Unholy Death Knights
- Specs that have their main crowd control abilities on the disorient
diminishing returns category
Examples: Polymorph, Hex, Paralysis, Repentance, Imprison
- Specs that cleave when they are bursting
Examples: Spinning Crane Kick, Eye Beam, Immolation Aura, Frozen Orb, Fists of Fury
- Healers that require you to stand still or stack in order to heal efficiently
Examples: Earthen Wall Totem, Mastery: Lightbringer
- Specs that are unable to stun your kill target at least once every 30
Examples: All Mage specs, Windwalker, Death Knight
You might have noticed a running theme from the list above. All of the DPS specs that work best with Marksman Hunter are melee specializations.
And all of the healing specializations that work best with Marksman Hunters are ones that have access to the Disorient diminishing return category (Discipline Priest) and ideally, the stun diminishing return category as well (Holy Priest, Restoration Druid).
It is recommended that if you are just starting out or trying to push as high as possible, then you play with a healer.
The gameplan will almost always be:
- Freezing Trap Healer
(out of Intimidation, Holy Word: Chastise, Mighty Bash or Rake if needed)
- Burst DPS
(stun them with Holy Word: Chastise, Mighty Bash, Rake or Maim if possible)
- Use your disorient diminishing return out of the Freezing Trap
( Psychic Scream, Mind Control or Cyclone)
And between that:
- Scatter Shot DPS to peel when they are dealing high damage or to set up Aimed Shot casts ( Cyclone out of the Scatter Shot if playing with a Druid)
- Kite with Concussive Shot, Tar Trap, Steel Trap, Ursol's Vortex
- Swap to the enemy healer if the kill target uses defensives or line of sights your casts (consider using your focus Aimed Shot or Sniper Shot macro for this to make it unpredictable, and following up with a Chimaeral Sting if it looks like the healer might die)
Here is a ranked list of Marksman + healer compositions for 2v2:
- Marksmanship Hunter + Restoration Shaman
If you are confident as a Marksman Hunter and have a good partner who is willing to use voice, understands how to stay alive without a healer and is happy to occasionally face unwinnable matchups; you can also play with DPS specializations. Note this is much harder to do, but arguably can be more fun.
Here is a ranked list of Marksman double DPS compositions for 2v2:
- Marksmanship Hunter + Subtlety Rogue
- Marksmanship Hunter + Shadow Priest
There are many comps available to Marksman Hunter in 3v3. The best will be Marksman + melee + healer. The only ranged DPS that is competitive playing with Marksman is Shadow Priest because it has so many diminishing return categories that do not overlap with the disorient diminishing return.
The best healer for your comp will almost always be either be Holy Priest or Discipline Priest. Restoration Druid will sometimes work if your comp has very high damage and doesn't need a healer that can apply the disorient diminishing return category (Restoration Druids struggle to cast cyclone or use stuns in 3v3 as they need to stay at a long distance to heal effectively). Restoration Druid + Marksman 3v3 comps tend to win by having great damage and efficiency rather than through crowd-control setups.
Sometimes, other healers can be competitive with Marksman Hunter if their healing is highly overtuned. This is not the case in the current patch, though.
Your gameplan will almost always be:
- Freezing Trap Healer
(out of Intimidation, Mighty Bash, Cheap Shot or Holy Word: Chastise if needed)
- Stun your kill target and use burst cooldowns
(stun them with Cheap Shot, Kidney Shot, Storm Bolt, Maim or Hammer of Justice when the healer is in a Freezing Trap).
- Scatter Shot The second DPS when the kill target is stunned or
when you are using Freezing Trap on the healer
(so they can't use defensives on the kill target or deny your Freezing Trap)
- Use your disorient diminishing return out of the Freezing Trap
( Psychic Scream, Mind Control, Cyclone or Blind)
Note that step 4 is completely essential, and this is why Holy and Discipline Priests are so good in Hunter comps. If you aren't able to achieve long crowd control chains by using a disorient category crowd control out of Freezing Trap, you will find it difficult to kill your target unless your comp has enough damage to kill enemies without crowd control on the healer.
The most common issues that cause teams to struggle to climb with a Marksman Hunter's composition is that either:
- Your team is not lining up their stun on kill target with your Freezing Trap
- Your team is not using their disorient ( Psychic Scream on the healer immediately before or after Freezing Trap)
- You are missing Freezing Traps or not landing Freezing Trap every 30 seconds because your team are not helping to set them up by using their stuns on the enemy healer.
- Your team are not using cross crowd control (eg, Scatter Shot) on the second DPS when the enemy healer is in a trap, and your kill target is in a stun, and therefore, the second DPS is able to save the kill target (eg, with Intervene or Blessing of Protection).
- Your team are not rotating defensive cooldowns or kiting the enemy DPS players when they have damage cooldowns or crowd control active.
It doesn't matter what comp you play; if you are not solving the above issues, your team will struggle to climb (and if you are able to solve those issues, your team will climb very quickly).
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 3v3:
- Cupid Cleave (Marksmanship Hunter + Retribution Paladin + Holy Priest/ Discipline Priest)
- Thug Cleave (Marksmanship Hunter + Subtlety Rogue/ Assassination Rogue + Holy Priest/ Discipline Priest)
- Thug Cleave with Restoration Druid (Marksmanship Hunter + Assassination Rogue + Restoration Druid)
- Scatterplay (Marksmanship Hunter + Shadow Priest + Restoration Druid)
- Beast Cleave (Marksmanship Hunter + Enhancement Shaman + Holy Priest/ Discipline Priest)
- PHD (Marksmanship Hunter + Unholy Death Knight + Restoration Druid (can also work with Holy Priest/ Discipline Priest))
- Outlaw Thug Cleave (Marksmanship Hunter + Outlaw Rogue) + ( Holy Priest/ Discipline Priest)
- KFC (Kung Fu Cleave) (Marksmanship Hunter + Arms Warrior/ Fury Warrior + Holy Priest/ Discipline Priest/ Restoration Druid)
- 19 Nov. 2023: Re-arranged tier list for Season 3.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed and updated for Patch 10.1.7
- 01 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for patch 10.1.7 with minor tweaks.
- 30 Jul. 2023: Updated 3v3 tiers; Jungle is the best comp.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Guide re-written.
- 09 May 2023: Updated for Dragonflight Patch 10.1.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 10 Nov. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Updated best 2v2 compositions.
- 15 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch (9.0.1)
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2