Marksmanship Hunter DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5.
1. The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Marksmanship Hunter
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Azerite traits, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
2. How to Gear Before Raids in BfA
Gearing up to prepare to enter raids provides a lot of different options now that Battle for Azeroth has opened up the majority of different gear paths. You will ideally want to get yourself to a healthy item level before setting foot in either Battle of Dazar'alor or The Crucible of Storms, and this can be done through a variety of different ways.
Remember to sim yourself a healthy amount when deciding on gear pieces to know what stats to aim for and which pieces to equip. The stats that you want to focus on will usually be decided by what build you are currently using (as defined by your Azerite traits), but Mastery and Critical Strike are both safe choices for most content types.
- World Quests will provide players with a variety of gear rewards for all slots, including Azerite. This will cap out at 370. Emissaries will also appear once a day and can potentially provide either an equipment piece or an Azerite piece, which will cap at item level 395/400 in season 2.
- Reputation gives out rewards based on your status with the faction. For most factions, Honored awards a 320 cloak, Revered a 335 item, and Exalted gives a 350 piece. Champions of Azeroth awards a 355 item level Azerite Chest with the Furious Gaze trait. Additionally, each reputation level grants additional item level boosts to your Heart of Azeroth.
- Mythic+ rewards gear based upon the keystone level you complete:
- 2-3: 375
- 4: 380
- 5-6: 385
- 7: 390
- 8-9: 395
- 10: 400
- World Bosses in Zandalar and Kul'Tiras spawn weekly, and killing this grants a once a week chance at a 355 item level piece of gear. There is also a cycling World Boss tied to each Warfront, with Arathi granting up to 370 item level gear, and Darkshore up to 400 item level.
- Leatherworking can craft 355 item level Boots and Legs, which can be upgraded using Breath of Bwonsamdis from Battle of Dazar'alor up to 415 item level.
- Engineering provides a craftable Azerite helm with unique traits, and can be upgraded in the same way as Leatherworking using Breath of Bwonsamdi.
- Warfronts can be repeated as many times as you want, each rewarding a random piece of gear. Arathi will be set at 340, and Darkshore will be 355. Each time the Warfront becomes available, a one time quest will reward a higher item level piece, with Arathi being set at 370, and Darkshore at 400. These can only be done when your faction has the siege event open for each respective warfront.
3. What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
3.1. Weekly Mythic+ Chest
Along these same lines, you should be completing at least one keystone at a high item level each week to make use of the weekly chest. Each week you will receive one piece of loot, and a fixed amount of Titan Residuum. The highest keystone you complete (up to a maximum of 10) will determine the final reward:
|Keystone Level||Weekly Chest Loot||Residuum Awarded|
3.2. Notable Trinkets and Weapons
Trinkets, Weapons, and Azerite Armor are the three largest DPS increases to any class in the game. Getting good pieces to fill these slots early allows you to perform incredibly well. They are also the hardest pieces to get.
There are a number of strong weapons for Marksmanship Hunters. Ideally, you should be looking for weapons with a healthy mix of Mastery and Critical Strike/Versatility:
- * Twin-Pipe Buster Cannon from Mekkatorque in Battle of Dazar'alor.
- Korgus' Blackpowder Rifle from Tol Dagor;
*This weapon's unique proc is stronger than secondary stats, but only on a single target. In AoE or Mythic+ situations, any other weapon with secondary stats will perform better.
Thanks to Bloodmallet.com, a comprehensive list of available trinkets for Marksmanship are listed against each other below. Keep in mind that this is only a guideline.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is nearly always better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear.
You can check through the Marksmanship Azerite page to look through the values of different traits and target different items. A quick recommendation of ideal pieces to aim for in Battle for Dazar'alor and which traits to select can be seen below:
|Slot||Item||Trait 1||Trait 2||Trait 3|
|Helm||Target-Tracking Headgear||Unerring Vision||In The Rhythm||Heed My Call|
|Shoulder||Pauldrons of Ancestral Vengeance||In The Rhythm||Unerring Vision||Overwhelming Power|
|Chest||Mistfire Raiment||In The Rhythm||Treacherous Covenant||Heed My Call|
6. Recommended Battle for Dazar'alor/Crucible of Storms Gear
This does not include items that are found outside of the raid, so this may be altered based on items you have available from outside sources. Note that this also does not include trinkets as they are covered in the above chart:
Also note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls!
- 01 May 2019: Added a number of new sections to the page, aimed mostly at newer players.
- 15 Apr. 2019: Updated the Raid-based Best-in-Slot list for Crucible of Storms.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Added a Recommended Gear List for Battle for Dazar'alor, and an introduction to the Raidbots Droptimizer feature.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation charts to be hosted through BloodMallet.
- 12 Oct. 2018: Updated the list of good dungeons and their items.
- 07 Sep. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include the recent SimCraft changes to RPPM.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include buff to the Tiny Electromental in a Jar.
- 24 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include various World Quest trinkets.
- 23 Aug. 2018: Added a link to the origin spreadsheet for the simulation chart.
- 21 Aug. 2018: Updated Trinket simulations.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Changed the BiS list to a more generally useful list of good dungeons to farm, as this will be relevant throughout the entire expansion.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth release.
- 20 Jul. 2018: Updated Celerity of the Windrunners' Haste level from 2% to 3%.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated Golganneth's Vitality to just be an Argus Personal Loot drop.
- 8.2 PTR: Gnome and Tauren Mount Size Changes
- 8.2 PTR: Breath of Sindragosa, Glimmer of Light Changes
- Classic Stress Test and Beta Invite Clarifications
- 8.2: Rise of Azshara PTR Dev Notes: May 22nd
- Queen Azshara Encounter Spoilers & 8.2 Raid Testing: May 24th
- Patch 8.2: Gnome & Tauren Heritage Armor (Official Preview)
- Blacksmithing in Patch 8.2
- Patch 8.2: Child of Torcali Mount
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Paladin Leveling Guide
- Protection Paladin 8.1.5
- Elemental Shaman 8.1.5
- Balance Druid 8.1.5
- Frost Mage 8.1.5
- Hunter Rotation Notes Questions
- Heavy m+ healing