Marksmanship Hunter DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Marksmanship Hunter gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Marksmanship Hunter
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Marksmanship Hunter. This section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
For more detailed information on Stat Priority, please visit our Stats page.
For more detailed information on Gems and Enchants, please visit our Gems and Enchants page.
We also have a page dedicated to simulations for different aspects of your character. These can be found on our Simulations page.
Tier Set Bonuses
The Tier Set Bonus for Marksmanship Hunter can be obtained from the Raid, as well as the Weekly Great Vault. Tier bonuses exist on Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Gloves, and Legs, and you need 4 pieces to complete the set. The bonuses are as follows:
- Marksmanship Hunter 2-Piece — Trick Shots now also increases the damage of the affected shot by 30%.
- Marksmanship Hunter 4-Piece — Spending 40 Focus grants you the Trick Shots buff.
The set bonuses in combination are extremely strong for both single-target and AoE, although the 2PC bonus does nothing on single-target without the 4PC. Acquiring the set bonus is a crucial part of gearing up for PvE in Patch 9.2.
Since you only need 4 pieces while there are 5 in total, this means that you can omit one piece in favour of a stronger one with better stats, or higher item level. The most obvious candidate for this is omitting the Legs in favour of the Epochal Oppressor's Greaves from The Jailer, which are 7 iLvls higher than the tier legs.
You can also use the open slot for a Legendary craft, provided that you have the other 4 pieces required to finish the set. Legs are another good candidate for this, but so is the Chest and Helm.
In the longer term, you can use the Creation Catalyst to convert any item of the aforementioned slots into a Tier item, retaining its item level and tertiary stats. This means that you could convert the Epochal Oppressor's Greaves into a tier item eventually, and then use Creation Catalyst to put a Legendary in your high-budget Helm or Chest slots.
Domination Gems in Patch 9.2
Domination Gems do not work in any Patch 9.2 content, and are no longer within the scope of this guide for that reason.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Marksmanship Hunter
At this stage in the game, and despite the Stat Priority, there are so many variables and layers of optimization you can apply to your character that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose items, trinkets, Legendaries, Enchants/Gems, even Covenants, Soulbinds, Conduits, and so on.
Upgrading Marksmanship Hunter Gear with Valor Points
Marksmanship Hunters should upgrade the items with Valor that will benefit the most in the moment. The easiest way to figure out what is best for your specific character is by using Raidbots' Droptimizer. You can select "+10 Weekly Chest" as a replacement for the highest item level Valor upgrade. Below is a list of item slots that you might want to upgrade first.
- Your weapon is by far your strongest item, and should always be the top priority to upgrade.
- Trinkets have a major impact on your DPS, particularly on-use ones such as Inscrutable Quantum Device and Overcharged Anima Battery.
- Aside from this, the best scaling items tend to be Helms, Chests, and Leg items. Wrists and Cloaks are low-priority as they have relatively little Agility on them.
Thanks to Bloodmallet.com, a comprehensive list of available trinkets for Marksmanship are listed against each other below. Keep in mind that this is only a guideline, and that you should be simming your own character if you care about optimizing it.
Note on the Inscrutable Quantum Device
While the Inscrutable Quantum Device trinket performs exceptionally well in simulations, its use in Raids is very varied, as there will be many situations where it will not proc its powerful stat proc, but instead heal someone, or give a healer Mana. Raidbots offers the ability to sim it at different "odds" of getting a stat proc beyond the first use. Use this in conjunction with log analysis to find out if you should be using this Trinket.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is nearly always better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear. For more stats information, please refer to our dedicated page.
Overall BiS List for Marksmanship Hunter
This does not include trinkets as they are covered in the above chart. It also does not include Legendaries, as we have a dedicated page for those.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Updated the BiS list to include Sepulcher gear and added information about Tier Set acquisition and slot choice.
- 07 Dec. 2021: Updated the recommendations for Legion Timewalking Trinkets after new sim results.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Added information about the new Legion Timewalking Trinkets, and how useful they are.
- 03 Sep. 2021: Updated the optimal individual Domination Shards.
- 02 Aug. 2021: Updated the optimal Domination Shard Set Bonus after Blood Link was buffed.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 31 Mar. 2021: Updated the BiS Bow's name (it is still the same item, but it had the wrong name listed) and updated the BiS cloak.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added a section dedicated to Valor Point upgrades.
- 01 Mar. 2021: Separated the Raid and Dungeon BiS Lists.
- 09 Jan. 2021: Added note about the Inscrutable Quantum Device and altered the name of the BiS weapon to the Night Fae one.
- 25 Dec. 2020: Updated the BiS List to include Raid Items as well as Mythic+ items.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Updated the Trinket Sims.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 15 Oct. 2020: Updated the BiS Rings and Azerite Pieces.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Patch 9.2.5 Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Weeks 3 and 4
- Amazon Twitch Prime Rewards for WoW: Jewel of the Firelord
- Fourth Encrypted Dragonflight Alpha Build on WoW Dev Branch
- Blizzard Entertainment Acquires Spellbreak Development Studio Proletariat
- Accepting Cross-Faction Invites Turns You Hostile to Everyone in PvP Brawls and Battlegrounds
- Level 70 Character Boost Coming in Wrath Classic?
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Beta Update 0.9.2
- Patch 9.2.5 Hotfixes: June 28th