Marksmanship Hunter DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Hunter gear and best in slot.
1. The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Marksmanship Hunter
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Azerite traits, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
2. Benthic Gear for Marksmanship Hunters
Benthic Gear is a unique type of gear introduced in Patch 8.2. It comes in the form of gear tokens for each item slot that has a chance to become one of several unique items per slot. Some of them have special effects that provide extra damage, which makes them relevant for raiding and Mythic+ content. When you buy a Benthic Token, you can right-click the token in your inventory to identify the item. Benthic Items can have sockets on them. Below we list the Benthic Items that are unique or provide damage bonuses.
|Helm||Azsh'ari Stormsurger Helm||Unique Trait: Arcane Heart|
|Shoulder||Azsh'ari Stormsurger Shoulderguards||Unique Trait: Loyal to the End|
|Chest||Azsh'ari Stormsurger Vest||Unique Trait: Undulating Tides|
|Wrists||Neri's Chain Manacles||Gives your spells a chance to deal AoE Physical Damage. Only works in Nazjatar and the Eternal Palace. ~2 Procs per Minute.|
|Wrists||Ori's Tidal Bracers||Gives your spells a chance to deal single-target Frost damage. Only works in Nazjatar and the Eternal Palace. ~1.5 Procs per Minute.|
|Gloves||Poen's Deepsea Handgrips||Gives your spells a chance to deal single-target Frost damage. Only works in Nazjatar and the Eternal Palace. ~3 Procs per Minute.|
|Waist||Azsh'ari Stormsurger Links||Increases your damage done to Aberrations by 2%. Several bosses in the Eternal Palace are Aberrations, or have Aberration adds.|
|Waist||Vim's Scalecrusher Chain||Gives your spells a chance to deal single-target Physical damage. Only works in Nazjatar and the Eternal Palace. ~1.5 Procs per Minute.|
|Boots||Akana's Reefstrider Treads||Increases your critical strike damage done by 3%, up to 203%. Only works in Nazjatar and the Eternal Palace.|
|Boots||Azsh'ari Stormsurger Boots||Gives you a Mastery buff after you kill an Aberration in Nazjatar or the Eternal Palace.|
Most of the damage-dealing Benthic items are competitive with iLvl 445 Mythic The Eternal Palace gear, especially with sockets. It costs 240 Prismatic Manapearls to upgrade an item from 385 to 430.
The Azerite Traits vary in their power and usually have some penalties to them anyway. Since Azerite Benthic only goes to iLevel 430, it is not generally recommended or competitive against iLvl 445 Azerite from the Eternal Palace.
Finally, we do not recommend upgrading Benthic pieces that do not have sockets, with the exception of Azerite gear (which cannot have sockets).
3. What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
4. Mechagon Gear
Mechagon offers two unique types of gear. The first is the Pocket-Sized Computation Device Trinket, which has 3 sockets that can be filled with punchcards. Yellow Punchcards offer stats, Red Punchcards offer damaging effects, and Blue Punchcards offer unique utility.
The whole Trinket's item level scales with the item level of the punchcards in it, as an average of the Red and Yellow punchcards. The item level of the trinket affects the power of the punchcards in it.
Yellow Punchcards can be looted from Rares in Mechagon, or from bosses inside the Operation: Mechagon dungeon. They offer a large amount of one secondary stat, and a small amount of another. The best Yellow Punchcard for Marksmanship Hunters is any high Versatility punchcard, with a high item level.
The only truly interesting Red Punchcard is the Cyclotronic Blast. This is an on-use trinket effect that deals extremely heavy damage over time. It has a short cast, followed by a 2.5-second channel that is affected by Haste. You can buy it in Mechagon when you reach Revered with the Rustbolt Resistance. It is extremely powerful and competitive with up to Mythic Eternal Palace Trinkets.
The other type of gear are the set rings from Operation: Mechagon. By combining a "Logic Loop" ring like Logic Loop of Division with a "Bit Band" ring like Shorting Bit Band, you can combine the two effects to create a unique effect with a unique trigger. The Division and Shorting combo is the most potent for Hunters. These rings are only item level 415, but they are competitive for quite a while into Heroic The Eternal Palace, and sometimes beyond.
5. Weekly Mythic+ Chest
Along these same lines, you should be completing at least one keystone at a high item level each week to make use of the weekly chest. Each week you will receive one piece of loot, and a fixed amount of Titan Residuum. The highest keystone you complete (up to a maximum of 10) will determine the final reward:
|Keystone Level||Weekly Chest Loot||Residuum Awarded|
6. Notable Trinkets and Weapons
Trinkets, Weapons, and Azerite Armor are the three largest DPS increases to any class in the game. Getting good pieces to fill these slots early allows you to perform incredibly well. They are also the hardest pieces to get.
There are a number of strong weapons for Marksmanship Hunters. Ideally, you should be looking for weapons with a healthy mix of Versatility and Mastery/Critical Strike:
- * Shiver Venom Crossbow from Abyssal Commander Sivara in The Eternal Palace;
- Snakebite Recurve from the Temple of Sethraliss.
*This weapon's unique proc is stronger than secondary stats, but only on a single target, and only if there is a caster in your raid using the Shiver Venom Relic Trinket.
*This weapon's unique proc is stronger than secondary stats, but only on a single target. In AoE or Mythic+ situations, any other weapon with secondary stats will perform better.
Thanks to Bloodmallet.com, a comprehensive list of available trinkets for Marksmanship are listed against each other below. Keep in mind that this is only a guideline.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is nearly always better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear.
You can check through the Marksmanship Azerite page to look through the values of different traits and target different items. A quick recommendation of ideal pieces to aim for in Battle for Dazar'alor and which traits to select can be seen below:
|Helm||Visage of Bloody Horrors|
|Shoulder||Gardbrace of Fractured Reality|
|Chest||Corrupted Hexxer's Vestments|
9. Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
This does not include trinkets as they are covered in the above chart.
Note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls!
- 13 Jul. 2019: Updated the Best in Slot List, the list of the best Azerite pieces, and added information about unique Mechagon and Operation: Mechagon items.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Added Vim's Scalecrusher Chain to the Benthic Gear List.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Added a section dedicated to the Benthic Gear System, offering some basic recommendations and a list of the interesting Benthic items you can get.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 01 May 2019: Added a number of new sections to the page, aimed mostly at newer players.
- 15 Apr. 2019: Updated the Raid-based Best-in-Slot list for Crucible of Storms.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Added a Recommended Gear List for Battle for Dazar'alor, and an introduction to the Raidbots Droptimizer feature.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation charts to be hosted through BloodMallet.
- 12 Oct. 2018: Updated the list of good dungeons and their items.
- 07 Sep. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include the recent SimCraft changes to RPPM.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include buff to the Tiny Electromental in a Jar.
- 24 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include various World Quest trinkets.
- 23 Aug. 2018: Added a link to the origin spreadsheet for the simulation chart.
- 21 Aug. 2018: Updated Trinket simulations.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Changed the BiS list to a more generally useful list of good dungeons to farm, as this will be relevant throughout the entire expansion.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth release.
- 20 Jul. 2018: Updated Celerity of the Windrunners' Haste level from 2% to 3%.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated Golganneth's Vitality to just be an Argus Personal Loot drop.
- Where Is My Bee Mount?
- Limit 7/8 World First + Azshara Mythic First Look
- Eternal Palace Race Day 4: Za'qul (Almost) Going Down
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 19th
- Blizzard Co-founder Frank Pearce Retires After 28 Years
- Upcoming Purification Protocol Hotfix
- Eternal Palace Race Day 3: The Court Disappoints, Za'qul Does Not
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 18th
- Vengeance Demon Hunter 8.2
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Class Discord Channels
- Mechagon and Junkyard Tinkering
- Priest Leveling Guide
- Retribution Paladin 8.2
- Arcane Mage PvP 8.1.5