Emperor Thaurissan Guide with Cheap Decks for Blackrock Mountain
Table of Contents
Emperor Thaurissan is the third and final boss of the Blackrock Depths, the first wing of Blackrock Mountain. In this guide, you will learn how to use cheap decks to defeat Thaurissan in both Normal and Heroic modes.
1. Health, Hero Power, Cards, Etc.
|Health||30||30 (+15 Armor)|
|Hero Power||Power of the Firelord costs 2 mana and deals 30 damage. Thankfully, Thaurissan cannot use it, as long as his wife Moira Bronzebeard remains on the board, where she initially is. She is a 1/3 minion in Normal mode (Moira Bronzebeard) and a 3/1 minion in Heroic mode (Moira Bronzebeard). She never attacks minions, unless they have Taunt.|
2. Strategy and Deck Building
As long as Moira is present, Thaurissan will not use Power of the Firelord, his Hero Power. This means that you should refrain from using anything that could kill her (AoE spells, minions with a damaging Deathrattle, etc.). Also, she does not attack minions unless they have Taunt, so refrain from using Taunt minions. In Normal mode, there is room for mistakes, as Moira has 3 health (although you need to be careful with Thaurissan's 2 Unstable Ghouls), but in Heroic mode she has only 1 health and killing her ensures that you will die the next turn (unless your health and armor combined allow you to survive 30 damage). While Moira does not attack minions, she does attack you, meaning the you need to kill Thaurissan before his cards and Moira kill you.
In Normal mode, you can simply build an aggressive deck, even one with basic cards only, and easily outpace Thaurissan. In Heroic mode, this is not possible, as you will be taking at least 3 damage per turn from Moira and you have to deal 45 damage to Thaurissan to kill him. Thaurisson's minions will generally attack face, so you need to use minions that get progressively better, such as Shade of Naxxramas. Since you will be taking a lot of damage, classes that can heal or armor up, like Priest or Warrior, are advised. Warrior works remarkably well against Thaurissan thanks to minions like Frothing Berserker and Armorsmith. Another thing to take into account is that you need silences, in order to deal with minions that try to damage Moira (Unstable Ghoul or Abomination). Finally, Thaurissan has Death's Bite in his deck and the moment he plays it signals that you need to kill him the next turn as otherwise the Deathrattle will kill Moira allowing Thaurissan to use his Hero Power.
To help you build your decks and defeat Thaurissan in both modes, here are decks we defeated him with:
- basic-card-only Mage deck for Thaurissan in Normal mode;
- cheap Priest deck for Thaurissan in Heroic mode.
- mid-budget Warrior deck for Thaurissan in Heroic mode.
- 03 Apr. 2015: Added deck list for Heroic mode and a very cheap Priest deck for Heroic mode.
- Tavern Brawl: Shadow Reflection
- Blizzard Dance & Cosplay Contest at Gamescom 2018
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #18
- Tavern Brawl: Rise of the Zombeasts
- Taverns of Time Event Is Live
- Free Pack Day: Jun 13 + Animated Short
- Hearthstone Patch 11.2 Clarifications & Hotfixes
- Hearthstone Global Games Voting Now Live
- Time-Tinker Monster Hunter
- Odd Rogue
- Tracker Monster Hunter
- Dungeon Run Guides for K&C
- Face (Aggro) Hunter Deck List
- Can you see it?
- Shaman Dungeon Run
- June 30th $10 Prize pool KO tournament