Subtlety Rogue DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Subtlety Rogue in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic DPS Rogue gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Subtlety Rogue
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Subtlety Rogue, this section will help you to find out which item pieces aim for to maximize DPS.
This page does not refer to enchants, gems or consumables so in case you need help with getting the most out of your newly acquired item, make sure to check out what enchants and gems are the best for Subtlety Rogues in the page below.
Upgrading Your Gear with Valor Points
Valor Points can be acquired by completing Covenant Callings or finishing Mythic+ dungeons. They can be used to upgrade the item level of any item you have received in a dungeon. The maximum item level that you can upgrade an item to is limited by your success in timing Mythic+ Keystones. If you have completed 2000 Mythic+ rating, the maximum item level is 246.
The best items for Subtlety Rogues to focus on from Mythic+ are weapons, Phial of Putrefaction and Inscrutable Quantum Device. Other than these items, focus on upgrading items with good stats and replacing your weaker slots.
You can find out more about this new upgrade system on our dedicated Valor page.
This section will briefly list the Legendaries that are good for Subtlety Rogues. For more in-depth information on them and how to craft them (through Runecarving), make sure to check our dedicated Legendary Powers page, as well as our Runecarving guide:
- Obedience (Best single-target Legendary for Venthyr Subtlety Rogues)
- Resounding Clarity (Best single-target Legendary for Kyrian Subtlety Rogues)
- Finality (Best for multi-target situations and decent on single-target)
- Akaari's Soul Fragment (Good for single-target, falls off on AoE)
Best Domination Sockets for Subtlety Rogue
In Patch 9.1, domination sockets were added to the game. These are new types of sockets that give powerful effects when wearing them. Any helm, shoulder, chest, boots or gloves that drops from Sanctum of Domination will have this type of socket for a max total of 5. You will want to avoid crafting a legendary in any slot that has a domination socket to give yourself the most benefit.
Your best in slot setup will look something like this:
- Shard of Zed as one of your three Unholy gems.
- Shard of Dyz as one of your three Unholy gems.
- Shard of Oth as one of your three Unholy gems.
- Shard of Bek as one of your extra gems.
- Shard of Cor as one of your extra gems.
By wearing three unholy gems, you gain the set bonus Chaos Bane. This is by far the strongest set bonus available to us and you will want to obtain this as quickly as possible. Shard of Bek and Shard of Cor are the best choices for your extra Domination Sockets, as they give you the most damage output.
To activate the Unholy set bonus, you need to equip a helm from Sanctum of Domination.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Subtlety Rogue
At this stage in the game, and despite the stat priority, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose optimal gear such as Legendaries trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
The Droptimizer feature from Raidbots lets you identify which dungeons and Raid Bosses you should spend your Bonus Rolls on. It simulates all of the potential upgrades in a raid or a dungeon, and lists the bosses/dungeons by rank order of how much DPS you can expect to gain from bonus rolling on it. We have a guide for it that you can access using the link below.
Best in Slot Items for Subtlety Rogue from Sanctum of Domination
Adding Sockets to Gear
This trinket list compares all current trinkets at various equal item levels, meant as a guideline to help prioritize upgrades, so care should be taken when assessing your own pieces should they vary in item level or bonuses. As always, simming your own gear is recommended.
Single-Target with Add Waves
- 06 Jul. 2021: Best in Slot updated for Sanctum of Domination.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 10 Mar. 2021: Added Valor section.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated page for Shadowlands release with gearing recommendations.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips
- Final Fantasy XIV Director on World of Warcraft
- World of Warcraft Style Maps of US States
- Darkmoon Faire Returns: August 1st
- Fangcrack Fun and 1-Shotting the Fallen Charger