Subtlety Rogue PvP Best Arena Compositions (Shadowlands / 9.2.5)
Team composition in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena is very important, because not all classes work well together. Here, we give you the best compositions you can have for your Subtlety Rogue (i.e., the best classes to pair with it).
This page is part of our Subtlety Rogue PvP Guide.
Subtlety Rogue in 2v2 is about setting up crowd control on the enemy healer for your team, whether you are playing with a healer or with another DPS, and then stunning your kill target so that both you and your teammate can burst it down. Your sustained damage is almost nonexistent, so you will want to avoid the fight in between your setups. It is worth mentioning that since Subtlety Rogues have a lot of crowd control and burst damage they are particularly powerful in double DPS comps as they will be able to crowd control both enemies, leaving their ally totally free to burst someone down.
In rare scenarios you will want to crowd control the DPS and kill the healer instead, but as a general rule the DPS will be the kill target with the enemy healer locked in crown control. You win the game once the enemy team is out of ways to get out of crowd control, and out of defensives they can use while inside crowd control.
When there are no diminishing returns on your targets, and your team is ready to go, you want to use Kidney Shot on the enemy you are not trying to kill, and then Cheap Shot on your kill target. A Mage, Priest or Hunter, for instance, will follow your Kidney Shot with a crowd control ability of their own — Polymorph, Psychic Scream, and Freezing Trap respectively. Meanwhile you will keep your kill target in three consecutive Cheap Shot while dealing damage. It is of utmost importance to keep the target stunned without any gap in order to prevent the use of any defensive cooldown or self-healing. Repeat this every time the diminishing returns allow it.
Also, as a Rogue, you have access to Blind. This is a key ability that you will use to force the enemy healer to trinket on one of your setups. You may initiate your go with it, although it is usually better to use it either after Kidney Shot if your partner is unable to follow up, or after the crowd control spell of your partner if your kill target is still in danger.
In between your set-ups you want to run. Rogue in general and Subtlety Rogue especially is not designed for head-to-head combat. Every single DPS specialization in the game wins the fight against a Subtlety Rogue who is not under the effects of Shadow Dance. To survive, and to make it easier on your healer's Mana, you need to run away from the fight when enemies can no longer be crowd controlled. Avoid as much damage as possible. Ideally, you even want to kite well enough to enter Stealth again without having to use Vanish, which will make your next setup even more deadly if you play with the legendary Mark of the Master Assassin. You should, however, make sure that your teammate does not need your help to stay alive before you go away.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 2v2:
- Subtlety Rogue + Fire Mage
- Subtlety Rogue + Holy Priest
- Subtlety Rogue + Survival Hunter
- Subtlety Rogue + Shadow Priest
- Subtlety Rogue + Retribution Paladin
The way to play Subtlety Rogue in 3v3 is similar to 2v2. The key difference is that since there is one more enemy you may have to land crowd control on every time you go for a kill. Most of the time, a simple Cheap Shot will be enough, and your teammates will do the rest. The reason why it is so important to land CC on the third target is because as a Subtlety Rogue you can only kill when your target is in a stun and receives no healing. If you do not land crowd control on the third player he might prevent your teammates from landing crowd control of their own on the enemy healer after your Kidney Shot, or he could simply save his partner himself with healing spells or by crowd controlling your team.
Subtlety Rogue is only played in comps revolving around setups at the moment, as it has very little sustained damage, so the gameplay described here will hold true for any comp you may play.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 3v3:
- RMP (Subtlety Rogue + Fire Mage + Holy Priest)
- Thug Cleave (Subtlety Rogue + Beast Mastery Hunter/Survival Hunter/Marksmanship Hunter + Holy Priest)
- Subtlety Rogue + Retribution Paladin + Shadow Priest)
- 28 Jul. 2022: Reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 01 Jul. 2022: Updated 3v3 comps.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 23 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 10 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 28 Mar. 2021: Rewritten by Shadenox and updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st