Unholy Death Knight PvP Best Arena Compositions (Shadowlands / 9.0.5)
Team composition in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena is very important, because not all classes work well together. Here, we give you the best compositions you can have for your Unholy Death Knight (i.e., the best classes to pair with it).
This page is part of our Unholy Death Knight PvP Guide.
Unholy Death Knights perform very well in 2v2 Arena, as their toolkit and damage output perfectly synergizes with the necessary playstyle of 2s. 2v2 Arena begins at 20% dampening, which causes all healing to be reduced by 20%. Unholy has a lot of single target burst, but also "rot" damage through diseases and minions. It is that rot damage that causes them to be so powerful. As healing gets more and more dampened, the sustained pressure of Unholy is harder to deal with, and also unpeelable, because using CC on every pet is impossible, and dispelling an easy to apply disease does not help much.
Therefore, to use your toolkit properly, you will want to prioritize the following things.
Firstly, always make sure you are using your stuns on every burst window, to quickly put your enemy behind. This would be your Asphyxiate and whatever stun your healer provides.
Finally, make sure to be using your disruption on the healer to cause them to fall behind, especially during your burst windows: Death Grip, Mind Freeze, Leap, and Gnaw are some of the ways Unholy can shut down enemy healers.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 2v2:
- Unholy Death Knight + Holy Paladin
- Unholy Death Knight + Restoration Druid
- Unholy Death Knight + Mistweaver Monk
- Unholy Death Knight + Restoration Shaman
Your role in 3v3 Arena is similar to 2v2, but with the addition of another DPS on your team, you will want to use Death Grip in coordination with them to set up impactful burst windows. Generally, you will grip the enemy healer on top of the DPS target that you have been hitting, and AoE stun them or AoE CC them together which allows you to spread pressure to multiple players at once.
Unholy has a lot of cleave, but also a lot of "rot" pressure, making it very difficult to recover from successful "goes". Furthermore, you will have to use your disruption on enemy caster DPS instead of solely the healer, if they are using cooldowns or if your team is in a dangerous situation. Rotating Mind Freeze with your partner can shut down Mages or Warlocks pretty well, especially with your other disruption tools mentioned above.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 3v3:
- Walking Dead (Unholy Death Knight + Windwalker Monk + Holy Paladin/ Restoration Druid)
- TSG (Unholy Death Knight + Arms Warrior + Holy Paladin/Restoration Druid)
- Hero Cleave (Unholy Death Knight + Havoc Demon Hunter + Restoration Shaman/Restoration Druid)
- Shadowcleave (Unholy Death Knight + Destruction Warlock + Restoration Shaman/Holy Paladin)
- Spriest / DK (Unholy Death Knight + Shadow Priest + Restoration Shaman/Holy Paladin)
- 05 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Amazing Animation and Effects in "Judgement" Animated Short
- Vicious War Gorm Mounts in Shadowlands Season 2
- A Summary of All Patch 9.1 Build 38872 Class Changes
- A List of All Burning Crusade and Patch 9.0.5 Hotfixes (June 1-8)
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 7th
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 13: Arcane Mages Dominate, Frost Rises as Well
- Impressive Arthas and Teldrassil Faction Animated Wallpapers
- Shaman Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38872