Unholy Death Knight DPS Stat Priority — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Unholy Death Knight. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
The Basics of Stats for Unholy Death Knight
The most common stat priority you will find in your sims for Unholy Death Knights is as follows:
- Critical Strike
The exact amount of raw stat you have do have quite a large impact. We use Mirror of Fractured Tomorrows as our on-use trinket, which provides a secondary stat boost of our top stat by raw amount. If you have 5.5k Mastery, 5k Haste, 3k Crit and 1k Vers, the trinket would proc Mastery. Now, we really do want the trinket to proc Mastery, which is why Mastery is our top stat. However, we also value Haste greatly and ideally want it to be just below our Mastery by raw amount. The ideal scenario is, therefore, to have Mastery as top by raw amount (not %), and then have Haste just below it. Something like 5.5k Mastery and 5.4k Haste!
Pay close attention to various other trinkets and procs that provide raw stat amount. Bloodlust, Empower Rune Weapon, Power Infusion etc, all provide % values and do not influence your raw amount. However, trinkets like Accelerating Sandglass, Pip's Emerald Friendship Badge and Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block provide raw rating and can influence your Mirror of Fractured Tomorrows proc!
For AoE, it changes slightly with Haste dropping lower in the priority:
- Critical Strike
Usually, a higher item level piece of gear will be a bigger upgrade than a lower item level piece of gear, even with better stats. We highly recommend you sim your character to find the stat weights that work best for you.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Getting a Better Understanding of Unholy Death Knight Stats
Strength is your primary statistic. You should look for it in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Attack Power, which determines the damage your abilities do.
Mastery, through Mastery: Dreadblade, increases your Shadow and minion damage. Shadow and minion damage makes up a majority of your total damage. The first strict diminishing return starts at 68.4% Mastery.
Haste will increase your attack speed and Rune regeneration rate. It also reduces your Global Cooldown.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities.
Versatility increases all your damage and healing done, and decreases all damage taken.
For Unholy, your pets and minions inherit your stats. Increasing your Haste will make them hit faster and regenerate Energy faster. Critical strike will increase their Critical Strike chance, etc. Stats are dynamically updated for the pets, meaning a new buff you receive will then also be applied to any pets you currently have. This means that you do not need to worry about applying buffs before summoning any minions! However, it is important to recognize the fact that this inheritance is not instantaneous! It takes anywhere between 0 and 5 seconds for the pets to actually inherit the stats from us (both when we gain and lose the stats). This is the reason why you see recommendations like using Berserking 15 seconds before the end of Summon Gargoyle, instead of 12 seconds that you might assume be optimal given the duration.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
The gems, enchants, and consumables that you choose are directly affected by your stat priority. To find the best mix of these, we do recommend that you simulate yourself using a program like Raidbots or Simulationcraft, however, we have a page linked below that will give you advice on this topic.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2, added discussion on pet inheritance delay and raw stat impact on mirror procs.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 30 Apr. 2023: Reviewed and Updated for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- One THOUSAND+ Pull Dramatic Tindral Mythic Kill by Skyline
- Wowdle: World of Warcraft Wordle-Style Game
- Illidari Doomhawk Available for Purchase with Timewarped Badges
- Tabard of Fury Available to Amazon Prime Subscribers This Month
- Patch 10.2 Week 4 Guide: A Comprehensive To-Do List for Season 3 Week 3
- Item Level of Timewalking Rewards in Dragonflight Season 3
- Second Catalyst Charge Available This Week on Live Servers
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 27th