Unholy Death Knight DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Unholy Death Knight in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Unholy Death Knight
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Azerite traits, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
Patch 8.2 introduced a new type of gear themed around Nazjatar and the new raid (The Eternal Palace). You can obtain this gear through activities such as World Quests, Regular Quests, and they are even Bind on Account, meaning you can use them to gear up your alts. There is a shop where you can purchase these Bind on Account Benthic gear tokens for Prismatic Manapearls. This currency is also used to upgrade the base item from 385 all the way up to 425. These tokens have a chance to roll tertiary stats and even a socket, so you may want to hold off upgrading gear until you get a socket on the piece you want.
Of the Benthic gear that is available, these are the ones that are very powerful for the Eternal Palace and Nazjatar content: Zanj'ir Scaleguard Greatbelt (works on Orgozoa and Za'qul, Harbinger of Ny'alotha in the Eternal Palace), Vim's Scalecrusher Girdle, Waveblade Farseer's Armguards, and Akana's Reefstrider Boots.
Currently in Operation: Mechagon, the most notable items are the pair of rings Logic Loop of Division and Overclocking Bit Band or Shorting Bit Band. This set of rings together is very powerful since you are able to have 100% uptime on the buff as long as you can get behind the target. If you can obtain this set then it may perform better than some Heroic and Mythic Ny'alotha rings.
Azerite Gear for Unholy Death Knights
For information about what Azerite traits to choose and what the best items are, see our Azerite page.
With the changes in Battle for Azeroth your primary stat is going to be your best stat. Even though this is the case, a higher item level piece of gear does contain more secondary stats which usually makes it an upgrade. When you are looking for gear upgrades you will usually find them in a higher item level piece of gear.
Trinket Simulation for Unholy Death Knight
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
Single-Target Corruption Ranking
AoE Corruption Ranking
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- Death's Advance and Wraith Walk are very useful for dealing with Grasping Tendrils so saving these cooldowns for crucial moments where movement is important is very helpful.
- Anti-Magic Shell can be used to absorb some of the damage of the Eye of Corruption which can also act as a DPS gain seeing as you will gain Ruinic power when your Anti-Magic Shell absorbs magic damage.
- Asphyxiate can be used on the Thing from Beyond from Grand Delusions in order to get rid of it since it disappears when it is stunned.
Corruption Weapon for Unholy Death Knight
- Sk'shuul Vaz has the Obsidian Skin effect which is a much better option for Blood Death Knights as opposed to Unholy. This weapon does not have a very good corruption to DPS ratio and may need to be cleansed.
- Devastation's Hour has the Twilight Devastation effect has a decent effect that can be very good in Mythic+ or other AoE situations. For single target and corruption to DPS ratio however this weapon is not very strong and may need to be cleansed. If you plan on cleansing one of the raid weapons then choose Devastation's Hour since it is from N'zoth and rolls a higher item level meaning more stats.
Recommended The Eternal Palace Gear
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
This does not include items that are found outside of the raid, so this may be altered based on items you have available from outside sources. Note that this also does not include trinkets as they are covered in the above chart:
Also note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls.
- 21 Jan. 2020: Updated the BiS List for Ny'alotha.
- 15 Jan. 2020: Added a section for corrupted weapons and tips for dealing with corruption.
- 14 Jan. 2020: This page will be updated with more specific information as simulation tools improve in Patch 8.3.
- 20 Jul. 2019: Added a section for Mechagon gear.
- 12 Jul. 2019: Corrected an error in the sources for BiS gear.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Updated BiS for The Eternal Palace.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 04 Mar. 2019: Fixed gear sources.
- 22 Jan. 2019: Added a Recommended Gear List for Battle of Dazar'alor, and an introduction to the RaidBots Droptimizer feature.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 29 Aug. 2018: Added a hectic add cleave trinket chart.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 06 Aug. 2018: Updated the legendary list and tier 21 description to fix some mistakes.
- 30 Jul. 2018: Updated the legendary list to better reflect the current meta.
- Illidan, Ragnaros and Deathwing Recreated in Minecraft (Megabuilds)
- Two Mythic Mounts Now Drop Off Mythic Jaina and N'Zoth
- Spirit of Eche'ro Mount Quest Now Available on Live Servers
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 14th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 13th
- Warsong Gulch Exit Portals to Be Removed
- MDI and AWC 2020 Plans and Changes Revealed
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 12th
- Protection Warrior 8.2
- Mage Leveling Guide
- Restoration Shaman 8.2
- Mistweaver Monk PvP 8.1.5
- Holy Paladin 8.2
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Lunar Festival