Blood Death Knight Tank Macros and Addons — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Blood Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Generic Macros for Death Knights
- #showtooltip Raise Ally
- /cast [@mouseover,help][@target]Raise Ally
This macro casts Raise Ally on your mouseover target, if they are a friendly player. Otherwise, it casts Raise Ally on your current target.
- #showtooltip Mind Freeze
- /cast [@focus,harm,nodead] Mind Freeze
This macro allows you to interrupt your focus target, if you have one, and if not to simply interrupt your current target.
Specific Macros for Blood Death Knights
- #showtooltip Gorefiend's Grasp
- /cast [target=focus] Gorefiend's Grasp
This macro allows you to use Gorefiend's Grasp to grip adds on top of your focus target.
- #showtooltip Gorefiend's Grasp
- /cast [@mouseover,exists,nodead][@player] Gorefiend's Grasp
If you have your cursor over a valid target to center Gorefiend's Grasp on, this macro will cast Gorefiend's Grasp at your cursor. Otherwise, it will center your Gorefiend's Grasp on yourself.
Death and Decay
- #showtooltip Death and Decay
- #show Death and Decay
- /cast [mod:ctrl, @cursor] Death and Decay; [@player] Death and Decay
This will drop Death and Decay at your feet without using the ground targeting reticle; while holding down CTRL, it will instead cast Death and Decay wherever your cursor is pointing (again, without using the ground targeting reticle). Since the vast majority of bosses have a large enough hitbox to be affected by a Death and Decay dropped at your feet, this speeds up casting and maximizes your ability to shift around and still remain standing in Death and Decay.
Blessing of Protection Cancelaura Macro
- /cancelaura Blessing of Protection
This macro is very useful to have. It allows you to cancel a Blessing of Protection that may have been cast on you, allowing you to resume your attacks. It is also important because while you are under the effect of Blessing of Protection, mobs will not attack you and instead will just attack the next person on the aggro list (often a DPS player), though taunting a mob will still force it to attack you for 3 seconds.
- /target pet
- /run PetDismiss()
- /use Control Undead
In some dungeons (King's Rest, Atal'Dazar), you are able to Control Undead some mobs for additional DPS.
Generic Addons for Death Knights
Here, at Icy Veins, we use ElvUI for all our characters. This addon is a complete replacement of the default User Interface. It comes with almost everything you need to perform properly: action bars, cooldown timers, proc display, etc.
We strongly recommend that you get this addon and our forum moderator Pandacho has written a quick configuration guide for it.
Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or Bigwigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is Big Wigs.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
Parrot or Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Parrot and Mik's Scrolling Battle Text are highly customisable addons for displaying floating battle text while in combat (incoming heals, damage of your spells, etc.). They both work very well by default.
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
Recount / Skada / Details!
Recount is a well known addon that most people use for displaying current DPS or HPS (Healing Per Second). This add-on is not really lightweight, and provides a very high amount of information (and it can sometimes cause issues with performance). It is generally a good option to use Recount for checking what you take damage from and if the share of damage/healing you do with each of your abilities is similar to that of other players of your class.
An alternative to Recount (similar in function, so the choice is personal preference) is Details!.
A lightweight alternative to Recount and Details! is Skada Damage Meter.
mRunes is a useful Runic System UI replacement addon that will allow you to keep better track of your resources.
Omen Threat Meter
Omen Threat Meter is the most popular addon for displaying the current threat levels on your target. We recommend you to use it to check on your current threat levels and ensure that you are not being overtaken in aggro.
Compact Runes is a great addon for tracking Rune cooldowns, and it also has a number of other Death Knight-specific modules to track your buffs, debuffs, and cooldowns.
Specific Addons for Blood Death Knights
Currently, we do not believe that you need any additional addons to play your specialisation to its full potential.
- 14 Jan. 2020: This page was reviewed for Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Macro added for Re-controling pet.
- 22 Jan. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Season 2 and no changes are necessary.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Fixed Death and Decay macro to cast at cursor.
- Big PvP Updates Coming to Shadowlands Beta
- Average Player Leveling in the Pre-patch and Shadowlands Will Take 8-10 Hours
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854: Class Changes Recap
- Player Solos All Alliance Faction Leaders
- Shadowlands Mythic Season 1 End-of-Run Rewards Capped Below Castle Nathria Heroic Item Level
- Shaman Class Changes in Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854
- Engineer's Workshop: The WoW Companion App and Multi-Expansion Support
- Fan-Made Shadowlands Login Screen