Frost Death Knight DPS Spell Summary — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, we present you with all spells and procs that you need to understand as a Frost Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5.
If you are new to Frost, this is a great place to start to get an understanding of how the spec works. On this page we will discuss what abilities you have, what they are used for within the specialisation, how they interact with each other and also with important cooldowns. If you already have experience with Frost and are comfortable with it in Legion, it is recommended you skip this section and move on to the rest of the guide.
2. Main Resources of Frost Death Knights
Runic Power and Runes are your two resources. Throughout the fight, you will look to spend as many Runes as possible and generate as much Runic Power as you can, which you will then use to help you deal more damage.
3. Frost Death Knight Basic Abilities
These are your core skills that are available regardless of talents, and form the core gameplay of the specialisation.
Howling Blast costs 1 Rune (although its cost is removed when you have a Rime proc), deals Frost damage to the target and all other enemies within 10 yards of them, and affects all targets it hits with Frost Fever.
Frost Strike costs 25 Runic Power, and this is your only means to dump Runic Power and deal damage throughout the fight.
Remorseless Winter costs 1 Rune and deals Frost damage over time to all enemies in a radius around you, also slowing their movement speed by 50% for the duration.
Death's Advance is a useful movement ability that has a 45-second cooldown which increases your movement speed by 30% and prevents you from being slowed below 100% of your baseline movement speed. It also passively prevents you from being slowed below 70% of your baseline movement speed.
Anti-Magic Shell absorbs up to 30% of your maximum health in magic damage over 5 seconds, and generates Runic Power based on the damage absorbed. This should be used to mitigate magic damage throughout the fight, while the added Runic Power will help increase your DPS.
4. Important Procs for Frost Death Knights
Frost Death Knights have two important procs.
Rime is a proc that can be triggered by either your Obliterate (with a 45% chance) or your Frostscythe (with a 22.5% chance), and it causes the next Howling Blast to cost no Runes and deal 300% increased damage. Using these procs before re-casting Obliterate is a very high priority.
5. Cooldowns for Frost Death Knights
Frost Death Knights have two important offensive cooldowns.
- Pillar of Frost increases your Strength by 20% for 15 seconds, also making you immune to "external movement effects", such as knockbacks, for the duration. It has a 45-second cooldown. Each Rune spent during Pillar of Frost increases your Strength by 1%.
- Empower Rune Weapon increases your Haste by 15% and generates 1 Rune and 5 Runic Power instantly and every 5 seconds for 20 seconds. It has a 2-minute cooldown.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- Pieces Take the World First on Restless Cabal
- Against Overwhelming Odds Clarifications: April 24th
- Crucible of Storms M Race Day 1: Cabal Lives!
- 8.2 PTR Dev Notes, April 23rd: Heritage Armor, Pet Battle WQs
- This Week in WoW: April 23rd
- Crucible of Storms Mythic Progress Race Hub
- The Dreadwake Mount Returns to Blizzard Shop
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: April 23rd
- Feral Druid 8.1
- Shadow Priest PvP 8.1
- Fire Mage 8.1
- Druid Leveling Guide
- Outlaw Rogue 8.1
- Gold Making Q & A Streams
- Gold making: Beginner professions
- Picking a profession in BfA