Enhancement Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle (Shadowlands / 9.0.5)
PvP requires you to perform various actions in the course of a duel, match, or battleground: interrupting/silencing enemies, damaging them, bursting them down, defending yourself, keeping yourself alive, etc.. It is a game mode that fully utilizes your kit, especially spells that are rarely used in PvE. On this page, we go through all the spells you need to use in PvP as an Enhancement Shaman, how you should use them, and we explain what your playstyle should be.
This page is part of our Enhancement Shaman PvP Guide.
Playstyle for Enhancement Shaman
The Enhancement Shaman should focus on maximizing their damage as much as they can. Maximizing damage and using instant utility like Wind Shear, and Capacitor Totem will give windows where your team can do devastating damaging bursts.
Before Gates Open
If you are playing against a team that has the ability to fear your healer, you can use Tremor Totem. This is a great utility spell.
Use Earth Shield on your teammate who will be focused, which is usually the Enhancemenet Shaman.
Sustained damage is damage you do when your burst cooldowns are not available.
- Use and maintain Flame Shock on the enemy as you approach.
- Use Earthen Spike as soon as you can(if talent is selected).
- Use Stormstrike.
- Use Lava Lash and Crash Lightning as filler abilities.
- Use Frost Shock as a filler ability.
- Use Elemental Blast or Lightning Bolt if you have 5 or more Maelstrom Weapon stacks available, as the last option.
- If you cannot connect to your target use, Frost Shock, Flame Shock, or Lightning Bolt.
- Use utility like Healing Stream Totem, Windfury Totem, Earthbind Totem or Earth Shield.
- Use your burst rotation.
When you have the enemy healer in crowd control and you are trying to kill an enemy, you use your burst damage.
Before you burst, make sure you have Windfury Totem placed.
- Use Feral Spirit.
- Use Ascendance or Earthen Spike.
- Use Windfury Totem to proc Doom Winds.
- Use Heroism/ Bloodlust on your DPS teammate.
- Use Stormstrike.
- Use Stormstrike as soon as you get a Stormbringer proc.
- Use Sundering if you are using this talent.
- Use Chain Harvest as soon as you reach 5 Maelstrom Weapon stacks available.
- Use Crash Lightning which will proc Windfury Weapon.
- Use Lava Lash and Frost Shock as filler abilities.
- Use Elemental Blast or Lightning Bolt if you have 5 or more Maelstrom Weapon stacks available.
Astral Shift is the main and only defensive cooldown on a Enhancement Shaman. This cannot be used while stunned, and reduces damage taken by 40% for 12 seconds.
Healing Stream Totem is a passive healing totem with 10% of the health of the Enhancement Shaman. It heals about 20% of the maximum health of the Enhancement Shaman over 15 seconds, on a 30 second cooldown.
Healing Surge is a spammable heal that can be used on any of your teammates. Use this if the enemy team does not have interrupts and you or a teammate need additional healing.
Spirit Walk will mostly be used to get to an enemy trying to run away, it can be used to avoid incoming damage or crowd control.
Ethereal Form is your main defensive cooldown if the enemy team are classes with only physical damage available: Subtlety Rogue, Marksmanship Hunter, Windwalker Monk, Arms Warrior, and Outlaw Rogue. This is a very powerful defensive. Use this when you are being focused and your healer is having trouble healing you or is stuck in crowd control. It is also good to note that this cannot be used while stunned.
It is advised to use Macros to use abilities on enemies or allies without having to target them. For this reason, we have a page dedicated to them.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.0.5 for Shadowlands.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated in preparation for first PvP season of Shadowlands.
- 18 Oct. 2020: Updated based on the 9.0.1 Pre-Patch for Shadowlands, and new author.
- 12 Jul. 2020: Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 09 Mar. 2020: Updated Burst and Sustained Damage rotations.
- 20 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for Patch 8.3 and no update was deemed necessary.
- 05 Jan. 2020: Page added.
- The Lowest Mythic Wipe in WoW History?
- Patch 9.1 Raid Testing Schedule: April 22nd
- The Reddit Singularity: Deathwing As Both Mount and Player Housing
- Fire Mage in Patch 9.1: An Initial PTR Spec Overview
- New Leadership for Overwatch After Jeff Kaplan Leaves Blizzard
- Torghast, Sanctum of Domination Loot Item Level
- When Will Daisy the Sloth Become Available?
- New Text-to-Speech Accessibility Option Coming in Patch 9.1