Enhancement Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle (Shadowlands / 9.1)
PvP requires you to perform various actions in the course of a duel, match, or battleground: interrupting/silencing enemies, damaging them, bursting them down, defending yourself, keeping yourself alive, etc.. It is a game mode that fully utilizes your kit, especially spells that are rarely used in PvE. On this page, we go through all the spells you need to use in PvP as an Enhancement Shaman, how you should use them, and we explain what your playstyle should be.
This page is part of our Enhancement Shaman PvP Guide.
Playstyle for Enhancement Shaman
The Enhancement Shaman should focus on maximizing their damage as much as they can. Maximizing damage and using instant utility like Wind Shear, and Capacitor Totem will give windows where your team can do devastating damaging bursts.
Before Gates Open
If you are playing against a team that has the ability to fear your healer, you can use Tremor Totem. This is a great utility spell.
Set your focus target to the main enemy team member who will be likely using crowd control like Polymorph or Fear.This will allow you to know when to use Wind Shear and Grounding Totem to stop the crowd control.
Use Earth Shield on your teammate who will be focused, which is usually the Enhancemenet Shaman.
Sustained damage is damage you do when your burst cooldowns are not available.
- Use and maintain Flame Shock on the enemy as you approach.
- Use Earthen Spike as soon as you can (if talented).
- Use Stormstrike.
- Use Lava Lash and Crash Lightning as filler abilities.
- Use Frost Shock as a filler ability.
- Use Elemental Blast or Lightning Bolt if you have 5 or more Maelstrom Weapon stacks available, as the last option.
- If you cannot connect to your target use, Frost Shock, Flame Shock, or Lightning Bolt.
- Use utility like Healing Stream Totem, Windfury Totem, Earthbind Totem or Earth Shield.
- Use your burst rotation.
When you have the enemy healer in crowd control and you are trying to kill an enemy, you use your burst damage. If you can, stun the kill target with Capacitor Totem or have your team stun the target so they cannot move or use defensives.
- Use Feral Spirit.
- Use Static Field Totem on the kill target.
- Use Ascendance or Earthen Spike.
- Use Windfury Totem to proc Doom Winds.
- Use Heroism/ Bloodlust on your DPS teammate, if talented.
- Use Stormstrike, or Windstrike while the Ascendance buff is active.
- Use Stormstrike as soon as you get a Stormbringer proc.
- Use Sundering if you are using this talent.
- Use Chain Harvest as soon as you reach 5 Maelstrom Weapon stacks available.
- Use Crash Lightning which will proc Windfury Weapon.
- Use Lava Lash and Frost Shock as filler abilities.
- Use Elemental Blast or Lightning Bolt if you have
5 or more Maelstrom Weapon stacks available.
- Often store your Maelstrom Weapon stacks to save for later use with Healing Surge.
Astral Shift is the main and only defensive cooldown on a Enhancement Shaman. This cannot be used while stunned, and reduces damage taken by 40% for 12 seconds.
Healing Stream Totem is a passive healing totem with 10% of the health of the Enhancement Shaman. It heals about 20% of the maximum health of the Enhancement Shaman over 15 seconds, on a 30 second cooldown.
Healing Surge should only be used with 5 or more Maelstrom Weapon stacks to gain the benefit of the increased throughput. Try to only use Healing Surge on teammates with your Earth Shield, and after pressing Healing Stream Totem with the Swirling Currents buff active.
Spirit Walk will mostly be used to break root effects to keep on a target or to move to safety.
Ethereal Form is your main defensive cooldown if the enemy team are classes with only physical damage available: Subtlety Rogue, Marksmanship Hunter, Windwalker Monk, Arms Warrior, and Outlaw Rogue. This is a very powerful defensive. Use this when you are being focused and your healer is having trouble healing you or is stuck in crowd control. It is also good to note that this cannot be used while stunned.
It is advised to use Macros to use abilities on enemies or allies without having to target them. For this reason, we have a page dedicated to them.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.0.5 for Shadowlands.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated in preparation for first PvP season of Shadowlands.
- 18 Oct. 2020: Updated based on the 9.0.1 Pre-Patch for Shadowlands, and new author.
- 12 Jul. 2020: Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 09 Mar. 2020: Updated Burst and Sustained Damage rotations.
- 20 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for Patch 8.3 and no update was deemed necessary.
- 05 Jan. 2020: Page added.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power