Enhancement Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle (Dragonflight 10.2)
PvP requires you to perform various actions in the course of a duel, match, or battleground: interrupting/silencing enemies, damaging them, bursting them down, defending yourself, keeping yourself alive, etc.. It is a game mode that fully utilizes your kit, especially spells that are rarely used in PvE. On this page, we go through all the spells you need to use in PvP as an Enhancement Shaman, how you should use them, and we explain what your playstyle should be.
This page is part of our Enhancement Shaman PvP Guide.
Playstyle for Enhancement Shaman
The Enhancement Shaman should focus on maximizing their damage as much as they can. Maximizing damage and using instant utilities like Wind Shear and Grounding Totem will give windows where your team can do devastating damaging bursts.
Before Gates Open
Have a plan for who you will be mainly using your crowd control on. Although Enhancement Shaman do lack crowd control, they still have Hex and Capacitor Totem if someone stands near it.
If you are playing against a team that has the ability to fear your healer, you can use Tremor Totem. This is a great utility spell.
Set your focus target to the main enemy team member who will be likely using crowd control like Polymorph or Fear.This will allow you to know when to use Wind Shear and Grounding Totem to stop the crowd control.
Use Earth Shield on your teammate who will be focused, which is usually the Enhancement Shaman.
Use Windfury Weapon and Flametongue on your weapons before the gates open. Buff yourself with Lightning Shield.
Sustained damage is damage you do when your burst cooldowns are not available.
- Use and maintain Flame Shock on the enemy as you approach.
- Use Stormstrike, generating Maelstrom Weapon.
- Use Stormstrike when you get a Stormbringer proc.
- Use Lightning Bolt if you have more than 8 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon
- Often store your Maelstrom Weapon stacks to save for later use with Healing Surge.
- Use Ice Strike as a filler ability.
- Use Frost Shock as a filler ability.
- Keep Windfury Totem's buff active if talented.
- If you cannot connect to your target use, Frost Shock, Flame Shock, or Lightning Bolt.
- Use utility like Healing Stream Totem, Greater Purge, Purge, Windfury Totem, Earthbind Totem, Earthgrab Totem, or Earth Shield.
- Use your burst rotation.
When you have the enemy healer in crowd control, and you are trying to kill an enemy, you use your burst damage. If you can, stun the kill target with Capacitor Totem or have your team stun the target so they cannot move or use defensives.
- Once 10 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon.
- Use Feral Spirit.
- Use Static Field Totem on the kill target, if talented.
- Use Doom Winds.
- Use Sundering, buffing you with Earthen Might tier bonus.
- Use Stormstrike as top priority, to proc Windfury.
- Use Ice Strike, to proc Windfury.
- Use Lightning Bolt to spend all Maelstrom.
- Use Frost Shock, Ice Strike, Crash Lightning as fillers.
Astral Shift is the main and only defensive cooldown on a Enhancement Shaman. This cannot be used while stunned and reduces damage taken by 40% for 12 seconds.
Healing Stream Totem should be used to provide low amounts of passive Healing, further buffed by Swirling Currents. This is also increased through the 20% benefit if Earth Shield is on the target will provide significant side healing.
Healing Surge should only be used with 5 or more Maelstrom Weapon stacks to gain the benefit of the increased throughput. Try to only use Healing Surge on teammates with your Earth Shield, and after pressing Healing Stream Totem with the Swirling Currents buff active.
Spirit Walk will mostly be used to break root effects to keep on a target or to move to safety.
It is advised to use Macros to use abilities on enemies or allies without having to target them. For this reason, we have a page dedicated to them.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.1.7.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updatedfor Dragonflight 10.1.5.
- 23 May 2023: Updatedfor Dragonflight 10.1 start of season.
- 06 May 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.1.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.0.7.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight post-launch.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 27 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2 of Shadowlands.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5 of Shadowlands.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.0.5 for Shadowlands.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated in preparation for first PvP season of Shadowlands.
- 18 Oct. 2020: Updated based on the 9.0.1 Pre-Patch for Shadowlands, and new author.
- 12 Jul. 2020: Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 09 Mar. 2020: Updated Burst and Sustained Damage rotations.
- 20 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for Patch 8.3 and no update was deemed necessary.
- 05 Jan. 2020: Page added.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)