Enhancement Shaman DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Enhancement Shaman in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Enhancement Shaman
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Azerite traits, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
Weekly Mythic+ Chest
You should be completing at least one keystone at a high item level each week to make use of the weekly chest. Each week you will receive one piece of loot, and a fixed amount of Titan Residuum. The highest keystone you complete (up to a maximum of 15) will determine the final reward.
|Mythic+ Level||Loot iLvl - End of Dungeon||Loot iLvl - Weekly Chest||# of Loot - End of Dungeon||Titan Residuum in Weekly Chest|
There are a number of Rings that can be paired together to create a unique proc effect as long as you have one of each equipped. The "Logic Loop" rings will drop from the fourth boss, the HK-8 Aerial Oppression Unit found within the Junkyard in Mythic+. The "Bit Band" rings will drop from the seventh boss, the Machinist's Garden within the Workshop. Ideally, the combinations of rings you want to pair for Enhancement are:
There is also the Pocket-Sized Computation Device trinket provided from Mechagon island content, that can be filled with 3 different punchcards. Yellow provides Secondary stat combinations, Red provides unique damage procs or active abilities, and Blue provides separate utility effects. You will only be concerned with Red and Yellow for performance purposes.
The overall item level of the trinket is dictated by the combined item level of the Red and Yellow punchcards placed in the slots of the trinket. Red and Yellow punchcards come from a number of sources, including the Operation: Mechagon dungeon, some rares on the island, Reputation rewards, and the Pascal-K1N6 Junkyard Tinkering.
Ideally, you want to aim for a Yellow punchcard that provides high Haste of any variant, regardless of what other stat is present. For Red punchcards, currently the strongest option is Cyclotronic Blast, which gives an on-use single-target damage effect, but is interrupted by other ability casts. This is easy to access, as it is purchased for Gold when you reach revered with the Rustbolt Resistance. This provides a strong burst on use effect with the cast, even despite the downsides of pausing your rotation. Alternatively, you can acquire higher item level versions of Subroutine: Overclock or Subroutine: Recalibration.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
Notable Corruptions for Enhancement Shaman
We have provided simulations below for all the different Corruptions, but we still feel the need to explain why some Corruptions are good and so on, as simulations rarely tell the full story.
Secondary Stat Passives
All of these are heavily dependent on what secondaries are present on your gear, meaning that simulations and the Top Gear tool on Raidbots are very useful. All 4 of the secondary options will scale variably based on what you have equipped, however Expedient's Haste boost is most consistently providing the highest boost in current simulations.
Strikethrough provides an amplification to all Critical Strikes you deal. While this does add a respectable amount (getting better with the more Critical Strike you have), its DPS per Corruption value is usually beaten by other passive options.
Corruption Proc Effects
- Infinite Stars is very heavily weighted toward single target situations, due to the star debuff requiring high uptime, and time to stack. This falls off quickly in AoE, meaning that you should be aware of its limitations despite its performance.
- Echoing Void provides the best DPS-per-Corruption bar none, in both single-target and AoE situations. This is currently expected to be the go to Corruption if you have it available, but has strong competition from some of the passive options.
- Twilight Devastation is currently simming slightly worse than in practice, and provides high AoE burst. Unfortunately, it is particularly poor in single-target, meaning that you need to know the situation when this is appropriate to use due to its high Corruption cost.
- Gushing Wound is a single-target randomly procced DoT, but is very efficient per point of Corruption and scales well with Haste as well.
- Racing Pulse and Surging Vitality both provide the best options for secondary stat procs. The former has a very short duration so can be wasted, and the latter requires you to be taking damage to trigger it. This means you need to be aware if you are using these two options of the drawbacks as they are quite average DPS-per-Corruption.
Corruption Weapon for Enhancement Shaman
Unguent Caress is the Ny'alotha Corruption Weapon for Enhancement Shamans. It comes with the Lash of the Void Corruption Affix, which has a 5 (+ Haste) RPPM chance to deal Shadow damage ands low your target. This is an extremely Corruption efficient item costing only 25, and also has a slight meteor effect allowing it to scale into AoE, though not very efficiently. Highly recommended if you have access to it for boss encounters.
Corruption Simulations for Enhancement Shaman
Single-Target DPS per Corruption Point
The top chart is more generally useful. Corruption is a resource that we want to minimize wherever we can, and the top chart provides you an idea of which Corruption affixes provide the most DPS for the Corruption they add to your gear. The bottom chart is more of a showcase of the DPS potential of the Corruptions.
Single-Target Corruption DPS Overall
We do not recommend making choices based off of this chart. We recommend using the "DPS per Corruption Point" chart instead.
AoE DPS per Corruption Point
AoE Corruption DPS Overall
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- Spirit Walk removes the Grasping Tendrils slow, and if this is on cooldown, you can use Ghost Wolf to suppress it making this easy to deal with.
- Spirit Walk or Ghost Wolf are very useful to escape the circle spawned by Eye of Corruption, however if you are caught in a bad spot when running out, you can use Healing Surge to keep yourself topped on the way out.
- Capacitor Totem stun will cause the Thing From Beyond spawned by Grand Delusions to despawn, but if this is not available, you can also use Earthbind Totem to create distance.
- Inevitable Doom indicates you have invested too much corruption on your gear, and should probably consider removing some pieces, as the damage taken increase and healing taken reduction will likely be overwhelming.
Notable Trinkets and Weapons
Trinkets and weapons are the two largest DPS increases available to any class in the game outside of Azerite pieces. Getting good pieces to fill these slots early allows you to perform incredibly well.
There are a number of strong weapons for Enhancement Shaman, and note that they can all be used in either hand. Ideally you should be looking for Haste weapons, but there are also unique items such as:
These are both weapons with unique effects that have different strengths in different content if you used at a serviceable item level. However, in most cases you will be picking weapons based on item level.
Thanks to Bloodmallet.com, a comprehensive list of available trinkets for Enhancement are listed against each other below.
You can check through the Enhancement Azerite page to look through the values of different traits and target different items. There are ideal pieces available within Ny'alotha however that provide a great set of traits, and is also the only way of combining both Natural Harmony and Thunderaan's Fury on one piece. A quick recommendation of what to grab is the following:
|Helm||Helm of Actualized Visions|
|Shoulder||Dreamer's Unblinking Pauldrons|
|Chest||Last Vestige of Neltharion|
Recommended Ny'alotha Gear
This list only includes gear obtained within Ny'alotha, but the extra notes beneath have some extra points to consider. Due to this being the final tier, there are a lot of legacy gearing choices that are still relevant, so they are especially useful to consider as options. As always, using the Top Gear feature in Raidbots is recommended, to make sure you are making the right choice. All these selections are also not taking into account any Corruption you may have acquired on the pieces. Trinkets are not listed, as they are covered in the section above.
|Helm||Helm of Actualized Visions||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha|
|Shoulder||Dreamer's Unblinking Pauldrons||Ra-den the Despoiled in Ny'alotha|
|Cloak||Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve||Legendary Cloak quest line|
|Chest||Last Vestige of Neltharion||N'Zoth the Corruptor in Ny'alotha|
|Wrists||Nightmarish Chain Shackles||The Hivemind in Ny'alotha|
|Gloves||Ebony Scaled Gauntlets||Wrathion, the Black Emperor in Ny'alotha|
|Belt||Watcher's Scheming Girdle||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha|
|Legs||Spinebarb Legplates||Drest'agath in Ny'alotha|
|Boots||Greaves of the Twilight Drake||Vexiona in Ny'alotha|
|Ring #1||Ring of Cosmic Potential||N'Zoth the Corruptor in Ny'alotha|
|Ring #2||Ring of Collective Consciousness||The Hivemind in Ny'alotha|
|Weapons||Unguent Caress||Ra-den the Despoiled in Ny'alotha|
|Alternative||Warmace of Waking Nightmares||Shad'har the Insatiable in Ny'alotha|
Ideal Bosses to Coin
You should ideally be spending your Seal of Wartorn Fate on a combination of Ra-den the Despoiled, Carapace of N'Zoth and N'Zoth the Corruptor. This is to get hold of the very powerful Corrupted weapon available, and gain access to the higher item level Azerite from the final bosses with ideal trait options.
Other Noteworthy Pieces
While the above list focuses solely on the raid, there are also some very powerful alternatives that you may find uses for:
- Diver's Folly from The Eternal Palace is still likely to remain relevant as an AoE option in the off-hand. Having access to this in fights where it can be used is something to watch out for.
- Both Logic Loop of Division and Overclocking Bit Band, when paired together, are the ideal rings to make use of if you can acquire them from Mythic+. These will outdo raid options if at relatively similar item level, so also watch out for these if you can get hold of the set.
- While trinkets are not listed, bear in mind that both Ashvane's Razor Coral and Dribbling Inkpod are likely to remain relevant currently within Ny'alotha, due to how strong these individual items are.
- 21 Jan. 2020: Updated with BiS from Ny'alotha, and some note tweaks for other notable pieces.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated with Corruption notes for Patch 8.3, and adjustments for Azerite. BiS will be updated soon.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Updated notes regarding Mechagon gear.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Reviewed and updated with Eternal Palace and Benthic items.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for season 2 gear, updated item levels and recommended Azerite.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Sep. 2018: Updated with gearing paths and Uldir item recommendations.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 22 Jul. 2018: Altered trinket section to indicate direct damage trinkets are performing better.
- Encrypted Shadowlands Alpha Build 18.104.22.168411
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 19th
- WoW Shadowlands Alpha Added to Battle.net Catalog
- Ny'alotha Mythic WF Race, Conclusion: Top 10, N'Zoth Nerf, Limit Tank Goes to Method, Asia Upset and More
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug" List Update: February 19th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 18th
- Burning Crusade Timewalking Event (February 18th - February 25th)
- UI API Change for UnitHealth
- Unholy Aoe Question
- Rustbolt Resistance
- Demonology Warlock 8.3
- Colossus Smash!?
- Protection Warrior 8.3
- Mage Leveling Guide