Retribution Paladin PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.0.2)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Retribution Paladin in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats, followed by advice on how to choose the rest of your gear and your trinkets.
This page is part of our Retribution Paladin PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Retribution Paladins in PvP
The stat priority for Retribution Paladin in PvP is as follows:
- Critical Strike.
Strength is the best stat in all situations. Haste is the strongest secondary stat at all times due to it reducing the Global Cooldown on abilities and increasing your attack speed. Versatility is the next best stat to have. This will increase the damage/healing you do while reducing the damage you take.
In general, Retribution Paladins want to get trinkets that line up well with Avenging Wrath. These trinkets can have a passive or on-use effect. The stats you want to be increasing are either Strength or Versatility. The reason you want to increase Versatility is because it increases both your damage and healing. Strength is great for increasing your consistent damage output. Here is the best gear we recommend you using as a Retribution Paladin.
- Head: Darkfrost Helmet
- Neck: Sinful Gladiator's Necklace
- Shoulders: Sinful Gladiator's Plate Pauldrons
- Cloak: Sinful Gladiator's Drape
- Chest: Sinful Gladiator's Plate Chestplate
- Wrists: Vambraces of the Depraved Warden
- Hands: Fleshfused Crushers
- Waist: Girdle of the Soulflayer
- Legs: Sinful Gladiator's Plate Legguards
- Feet: Sinful Gladiator's Plate Warboots
- Ring 1: Sinful Gladiator's Ring
- Ring 2: Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet
- Weapon: Drustlord's Greataxe
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a Versatility boost that will increase your damage and healing.
Sinful Gladiator's Medallion is a mandatory trinket to have equipped at all times. This allows you to remove any crowd control on yourself. You will normally use this when you are stuck in crowd control and a teammate is at low health. Note, if you play a Human and are playing against a team with only stuns, Sinful Gladiator's Relentless Brooch is a better option.
Sinful Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Haste and has a 1-minute cooldown that increases your primary stat. This is great to use right before you activate a powerful cooldown.
Sinful Gladiator's Emblem increases your maximum health when used. This gives you an additional defensive when you think a team will be focusing you.
Sinful Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity increases your Haste and has a chance to proc your primary stat. This is an overall strong trinket, as the stat will proc often throughout an arena match.
Gems and Enchants
Here are the best enchants and gems for a Retribution Paladin:
- Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Eternal Strength
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Versatility
- Weapon Enchant: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
Gem all of your gear with Versatile Jewel Cluster.
- 06 Dec. 2020: Added BiS gear list for Shadowlands.
- 30 Nov. 2020: Removed outdated Traits and Essences.
- Removed outdated gear.
- Added gems section.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Shadowlands Season 2 Vicious Mounts Preview
- Rogue Class Changes in Patch 9.0.5 Build 37623
- TCG Pet Bananas Becomes Charity Pet
- No New Customization Options Planned for Shadowlands
- Burning Crusade Classic Will Be Based Off the Final Patch, No Class Tuning and "Some Changes"
- The Wandering Ancient Mount Is Coming in Patch 9.0.5!
- Shadowlands Pathfinder Only Requires Completing the Covenant Campaign
- BlizzConline World of Warcraft Q&A Recap