Retribution Paladin PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.2.5)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Retribution Paladin in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats, followed by advice on how to choose the rest of your gear and your trinkets.
This page is part of our Retribution Paladin PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Retribution Paladins in PvP
The stat priority for Retribution Paladin in PvP is as follows:
- Critical Strike.
Strength is the best stat in all situations. Haste is the strongest secondary stat at all times due to it reducing the Global Cooldown on abilities and increasing your attack speed. Versatility is the next best stat to have. This will increase the damage/healing you do while reducing the damage you take.
In general, Retribution Paladins want to get trinkets that line up well with Avenging Wrath. These trinkets can have a passive or on-use effect. The stats you want to be increasing are either Strength or Versatility. The reason you want to increase Versatility is because it increases both your damage and healing. Strength is great for increasing your consistent damage output. Here is the best gear we recommend you using as a Retribution Paladin.
- Head: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Helm
- Neck: Eternal Gladiator's Necklace
- Shoulders: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Pauldrons
- Cloak: Eternal Gladiator's Drape
- Chest: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Chestplate
- Wrists: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Vambraces
- Hands: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Handguards
- Waist: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Greatbelt
- Legs: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Legguards
- Feet: Eternal Gladiator's Plate Warboots
- Ring 1: Eternal Gladiator's Ring
- Ring 2: Eternal Gladiator's Band
- Weapon: Eternal Gladiator's Pulverizer
Tier Set Bonuses for Retribution Paladin
Tier set pieces are obtained in PvP from the Great Vault and can eventually be created from other items in the same slot using the Creation Catalyst. Overall, the set bonuses provide a large amount of damage throughout an arena match. It is extremely important to obtain both the Retribution Paladin 2-Piece and Retribution Paladin 4-Piece set bonuses as soon as possible. Here are the best pieces to get for the set:
- Head: Luminous Chevalier's Casque;
- Shoulders: Luminous Chevalier's Epaulettes;
- Chest: Luminous Chevalier's Plackart ;
- Gloves: Luminous Chevalier's Gauntlets.
For an in-depth analysis of the set bonuses visit here:
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a Stamina and Strength boost that will increase your survivability and damage output.
Eternal Gladiator's Medallion is a mandatory trinket to have equipped at all times. This allows you to remove any crowd control on yourself. You will normally use this when you are stuck in crowd control and a teammate is at low health. Note, if you play a Human and are playing against a team with only stuns, Eternal Gladiator's Relentless Brooch is a better option.
Eternal Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Haste and has a 1-minute cooldown that increases your primary stat. This is great to use right before you activate a powerful cooldown.
Eternal Gladiator's Emblem increases your maximum health when used. This gives you an additional defensive when you think a team will be focusing you.
Eternal Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity increases your Haste and has a chance to proc your primary stat. This is an overall strong trinket, as the stat will proc often throughout an arena match.
Gems and Enchants
Here are the best enchants and gems for a Retribution Paladin:
- Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Eternal Strength
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Versatility
- Weapon Enchant: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
Gem all of your gear with Versatile Jewel Cluster.
- 01 Aug. 2022: Reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- Updated Recommended Gear.
- Added Tier-Sets section.
- Removed Shards of Domination section.
- 10 Nov. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 02 Jul. 2021: Updated Recommended Gear.
- Added Shards of Domination section.
- 08 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 06 Dec. 2020: Added BiS gear list for Shadowlands.
- 30 Nov. 2020: Removed outdated Traits and Essences.
- Removed outdated gear.
- Added gems section.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st