Retribution Paladin DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Retribution Paladin in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Retribution Paladin gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Retribution Paladin
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Retribution Paladin. This section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Retribution Paladin
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. This website can help you choose set bonuses, Conduits, Soulbinds, Covenants, trinkets, Valor upgrades, and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
The Droptimizer feature from Raidbots lets you identify which dungeons and Raid Bosses you should spend your Bonus Rolls on. It simulates all of the potential upgrades in a raid or a dungeon, and lists the bosses/dungeons by rank order of how much DPS you can expect to gain from bonus rolling on it. We have a guide for it that you can access using the link below.
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets rewards from weekly chests, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are. Below are a few suggestions if you cannot simulate your own trinkets.
- The Unchained Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity trinket is a very good trinket for Kyrian Paladins and decent for Paladins using other Covenants.
- The Overwhelming Power Crystal trinket is strong for both single-target and cleave and it mixes well with out burst cooldowns.
- The Inscrutable Quantum Device trinket can be very good, but more often than not, it will be more frustrating than useful in actual use.
- The Spare Meat Hook trinket is good for single-target, as long you can stay within range of your hooked target.
- The Old Warrior's Soul trinket is a outstanding Haste stat stick for both single-target and cleave raid usage.
- The Titanic Ocular Gland trinket is a great stat stick both single-target and cleave raid usage, with the caveat that you have to retain above 50% health at all times.
- The Phial of Putrefaction trinket is strong for pure single-target fights.
- The Decanter of Anima-Charged Winds trinket is strong for cleave and good for single-target.
- The So'leah's Secret Technique trinket is decent stat stick for cleave and good for single-target.
- The Whispering Shard of Power trinket is decent for cleave for single-target. Souls will spawn that you need to take down in order to get the buff. You need to select the Souls that spawn and take them down to get the buff, cleave will not work.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is often better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear. For more stats information, please refer to our dedicated page.
Best Domination Shards for Retribution Paladin
Domination Shards and Sockets were added in Patch 9.1. These are new types of gems and sockets that give powerful effects when wearing gear with them inside the new raid, The Maw, and inside Torghast. Gear to insert these Shards can be primarily be obtained from bosses in Sanctum of Domination. For Plate, the 5 slots that can have Domination Sockets are Head, Shoulder, Chest, Wrist, and Hands. You want to wear the maximum amount of Domination Sockets, therefore you need to craft Legendaries while avoiding these reserved slots for Domination Sockets. Domination Shards can be upgraded with Stygian Ember, which drop from bosses in Sanctum of Domination, from a weekly quest in Korthia, and from bi-weekly Covenant Assaults. Equipping 3 Shards of Domination of the same type unlocks a set bonus with 5 different levels. The level will always be equal to the level of your lowest Unholy Shard. This means you want to upgrade all of your Unholy Shards with about equal priority in order to get the highest set level possible.
You want to upgrade your Unholy Shards in the following order:
- Shard of Dyz 1/5
- Shard of Zed 1/5
- Shard of Oth 1/5
- Shard of Dyz 2/5
- Shard of Zed 2/5
- Shard of Oth 2/5
- Shard of Dyz 3/5
- Shard of Zed 3/5
- Shard of Oth 3/5
- Shard of Dyz 4/5
- Shard of Zed 4/5
- Shard of Oth 4/5
- Shard of Dyz 5/5
- Shard of Zed 5/5
- Shard of Oth 5/5
Once you upgraded all your Unholy Shards to level 5, you want to upgrade your non-set Shards:
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
Raiding Gear for Retribution Paladin
This does not include trinkets, as they are covered in the section above.
It is heavily recommended to simulate your own gear with Raidbots, but you can use the table below as an idea pool when you cannot simulate your own options for raid loot.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 16 Jun. 2021: Updated recommended Jaithys consume level to 5/5 and Domination Gem upgrade order.
- 14 Jun. 2021: Updated recommended Jaithys consume level to 4/5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 16 Jan. 2021: Added trinket options.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 13 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- How to Upgrade Legendaries to Rank 7 in Patch 9.2
- Gluttonous Gardbrace Makes You Eat Food Faster in Patch 9.2
- Everything New in Patch 9.2 Build 41827
- Everything You Need to Know About Wearing 2 Legendaries At Once in Patch 9.2
- Zereth Mortis Catch-Up Gear in Patch 9.2
- Encrypted Files Hint at Potential Deluxe Edition Rewards for WoW's Upcoming Expansion
- Class Tier List for Mythic+ in Patch 9.1.5 (Week #11)
- Interesting Loot from the Jailer in Patch 9.2