Retribution Paladin DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Retribution Paladin in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Retribution Paladin gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Retribution Paladin
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Retribution Paladin. This section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Retribution Paladin
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. This website can help you choose Conduits, Soulbinds, Covenants, trinkets, Valor upgrades, and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
The Droptimizer feature from Raidbots lets you identify which dungeons and Raid Bosses you should spend your Bonus Rolls on. It simulates all of the potential upgrades in a raid or a dungeon, and lists the bosses/dungeons by rank order of how much DPS you can expect to gain from bonus rolling on it. We have a guide for it that you can access using the link below.
Tier Set Bonuses
In Patch 9.2, every class can acquire pieces of a gear set uniquely tailored to themselves with two- and four-piece set bonuses for each specialization. For Retribution Paladins, these set bonuses are:
- Retribution Paladin 2-Piece — When you benefit from Art of War, you gain Seraphim for 4 seconds.
- Retribution Paladin 4-Piece — Art of War has a 50% chance to reset the cooldown of Wake of Ashes instead of Blade of Justice.
Shards of Domination Sockets
Legion Timewalking Gear
With the addition of Legion Timewalking Mythic+ dungeons, several new items will become available. Although the gear will be capped to a lower item level than items available from the Sepulcher of the First Ones raid and will not be obtainable from the Great Vault, they can be upgraded through Valor, which may allow for some upgrades.
Most of the Legion Timewalking gear is not really important, but the Faulty Countermeasure trinket is the exception. It is a good trinket to get.
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets rewards from weekly chests, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are. Below are a few suggestions if you cannot simulate your own trinkets.
- The The First Sigil trinket is a very strong burst trinket with a long cd.
- The Cosmic Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity trinket remains a strong trinket choice.
- The Overwhelming Power Crystal trinket is strong for both single-target and cleave and it mixes well with our burst cooldowns.
- The Inscrutable Quantum Device trinket can be very good, but more often than not, it will be more frustrating than useful in actual use.
- The Phial of Putrefaction trinket is strong for pure single-target fights.
- The Elegy of the Eternals trinket is a decent stat stick that also buffs your party members that share your Covenant.
- The So'leah's Secret Technique trinket is a decent stat stick that also buffs someone in your party.
- The Old Warrior's Soul trinket remains a good passive trinket choice.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is often better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear. For more stats information, please refer to our dedicated page.
Raiding Gear for Retribution Paladin
This does not include trinkets, as they are covered in the section above.
It is heavily recommended to simulate your own gear with Raidbots, but you can use the table below as an idea pool when you cannot simulate your own options for raid loot.
|Head Single-Target & Cleave||Luminous Chevalier's Casque||Anduin Wrynn|
|Head Mixed||Vanguard's Momentum||Crafted|
|Neck||Worldkiller Iris||The Jailer|
|Shoulders||Luminous Chevalier's Epaulettes||Lords of Dread|
|Cloak||Shroud of the Sire's Chosen||Lords of Dread|
|Chest Single-Target||Final Verdict||Crafted|
|Chest Mixed & Cleave||Luminous Chevalier's Plackart||Rygelon|
|Wrists||Bracers of the Inscrutable Inventor||Lihuvim, Principal Architect|
|Gloves||Luminous Chevalier's Gauntlets||Rygelon (285 converted with the Creation Catalyst)|
|Legs Single & Mixed Target||Luminous Chevalier's Robes||The Jailer (285 converted with the Creation Catalyst)|
|Legs Cleave||Tempest of the Lightbringer||Crafted|
|Boots||Song-Mad Sabatons||Dausegne, the Fallen Oracle|
|Ring #1||Rygelon's Heraldric Ring||Rygelon|
|Ring #2||Loquacious Keeper's Peridot||Lihuvim, Principal Architect|
|Weapon||Gavel of the First Arbiter||The Jailer|
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 15 Apr. 2022: Updated for converted tier set gear.
- 02 Mar. 2022: Updated for 9.2 Raid opening.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 16 Jun. 2021: Updated recommended Jaithys consume level to 5/5 and Domination Gem upgrade order.
- 14 Jun. 2021: Updated recommended Jaithys consume level to 4/5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 16 Jan. 2021: Added trinket options.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 13 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Alliance Sepulcher Mythic Hall of Fame Closing this Week
- Sepulcher of the First Ones 9.2.5 Mythic DPS, Tank and Healer Log Rankings, Week 5: Affliction Is Back
- How to Receive Different Weapons from Zereth Mortis World and Daily Quests
- Very Solid Ocean Near Stormwind Defeats Player
- Impressive Stormwind Recreation in Minecraft (Video)
- Idol of Y'Shaarj Shadow Priest Talent Explained
- Upcoming Sepulcher of the First Ones Raid Tuning: July 5th
- A Preview of Priest Talent Trees in Dragonflight