Retribution Paladin DPS Stat Priority — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Retribution Paladin. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Retribution Paladin DPS stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Retribution Paladin
The generic stat priority is as follows:
- Haste ~= Critical Strike ~= Versatility ~= Mastery;
Stacking the Expurgation Azerite Trait shifts the stat priority as follows:
- Critical Strike;
- Haste ~= Versatility ~= Mastery;
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
How to Choose Gear for Retribution Paladins
To choose between 2 items, you should not rely on stat priority. For Retribution Paladin, stat priority heavily depends on your own character's stat distribution, corrupted effects, trinkets, talents selected, race, enchants, Azerite Traits, and Essences used. Any changes to your character can change your stat priority. Additionally, a higher item level piece of gear provides more stats, which in some cases will be better than equipping a lower item level piece with perfect stats.
This is why we recommend to use Raidbots Top Gear to find the best gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will take all of the variables into account to find the best gear for you.
Getting a Better Understanding of Retribution Paladin Stats
Important Stat Caps
There are currently no stat soft or hard caps worth chasing for any stat right now.
Strength is your primary statistic. You should look for it in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Attack Power, which determines the damage your abilities do.
Haste increases your attack speed and lowers the global cooldown of all abilities. At 50% Haste, the global cooldown is reduced by 0.5 seconds and at 100% Haste the reduction is hard capped at 0.75 seconds. Haste also reduces the cooldown of your Holy Power generators Blade of Justice, Judgment, Hammer of Wrath, and Crusader Strike.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities.
Versatility increases all your damage and healing done, and decreases all damage taken.
The following baseline abilities are affected by Mastery:
The following talents are affected by Mastery:
The following PvP talents are affected by Mastery:
The following Azerite Traits are affected by Mastery:
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3.
- 18 Jul. 2019: Updated base stat priority.
- 10 Jul. 2019: Added Expurgation stat priority.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Updated for Patch 8.2.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Crucible of Storms and no changes are necessary.
- 11 Mar. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1.5 and no changes are necessary.
- 20 Feb. 2019: Added Indomitable Justice and Empyrean Power to whitelist to clarify that the additional damage indeed buffs the base dmg of the abilities and therefore is affected by Mastery.
- 17 Feb. 2019: Removed Stat Weights note and added Top Gear. Added Haste GCD reduction caps. Added Mastery whitelist.
- 21 Jan. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the opening of Battle of Dazar'alor and no changes are necessary.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 2nd
- Optional Crafting Reagents Update: June 2nd
- World First Mythic +28 Tol'Dagor Cleared in Time
- Dredwing Mounts in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through June 5th
- Specific Vendor Corruptions Prediction Theories
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 1st
- Fist of Justice / Ineffable Truth Hotfix Cancelled