Unholy Death Knight DPS Macros and Addons — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Unholy Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5.
Generic Macros for Death Knights
- #showtooltip Raise Ally
- /cast [@mouseover,help][@target]Raise Ally
This macro casts Raise Ally on your mouseover target, if they are a friendly player. Otherwise, it casts Raise Ally on your current target.
- #showtooltip Mind Freeze
- /cast [@focus,harm,nodead] Mind Freeze
This macro allows you to interrupt your focus target, if you have one, and if not to simply interrupt your current target.
Specific Macros for Unholy Death Knights
Outbreak Mouseover Macro
- #showtooltip Outbreak
- /cast [target=mouseover,exists] Outbreak; Outbreak
This macro will cast Outbreak on your mouseover target.
- /petdismiss [pet]
This macro allows you to dismiss your pet, which might be required for dungeons, especially if you also have All Will Serve talent.
- #showtooltip Death and Decay
- /cast [@cursor] Death and Decay
- #showtooltip Anti-magic Zone
- /cast [@cursor] Anti-magic Zone
Pet Claw Macro
- #showtooltip Ability
- /cast Ability
- /cast [@pettarget] Claw
This macro helps your pet use up its energy before you cast Dark Transformation. Simply use this instead of your frequently used abilities like Scourge Strike and Death Coil, replacing the "Ability" in the macro with the actual name of your spell. This is a small DPS increase.
Inscrutable Quantum Device Macro
- /target player
- /use Inscrutable Quantum Device
This macro will prevent your Inscrutable Quantum Device (IQD) from triggering the execute effect. This is generally desirable if you use the trinket together with your other cooldowns when a boss or enemy is below 20% health.
Generic Addons for Death Knights
Here, at Icy Veins, we use ElvUI for all our characters. This addon is a complete replacement of the default User Interface. It comes with almost everything you need to perform properly: action bars, cooldown timers, proc display, etc.
We strongly recommend that you get this addon and our forum moderator Pandacho has written a quick configuration guide for it.
Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or Bigwigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is Big Wigs.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
Parrot or Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Parrot and Mik's Scrolling Battle Text are highly customisable addons for displaying floating battle text while in combat (incoming heals, damage of your spells, etc.). They both work very well by default.
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
Recount / Skada / Details!
Recount is a well known addon that most people use for displaying current DPS or HPS (Healing Per Second). This add-on is not really lightweight, and provides a very high amount of information (and it can sometimes cause issues with performance). It is generally a good option to use Recount for checking what you take damage from and if the share of damage/healing you do with each of your abilities is similar to that of other players of your class.
An alternative to Recount (similar in function, so the choice is personal preference) is Details!.
A lightweight alternative to Recount and Details! is Skada Damage Meter.
Omen Threat Meter
Omen Threat Meter is the most popular addon for displaying the current threat levels on your target. We recommend you to use it to avoid taking aggro when the tank is still building up threat on an enemy.
TellMeWhen is an extremely useful addon with a user-friendly interface that allows you to track a multitude of things, from internal cooldowns, to buffs, debuffs, and procs.
Grid and GridClickSets (Optional)
ElvUI comes with decent raid frames. The only real reason for using Grid and GridClickSets is if you want to be able to mouseover dead raid or party members in order to resurrect them with Raise Ally. If you choose to go with Grid, then you might want to also use GridStatusRaidDebuff.
Specific Addons for Unholy Death Knights
Currently, we do not believe that you need any additional addons to play your specialisation to its full potential.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 20 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Guide reviewed and updated for Patch 9.1.
- 10 May 2021: Added cursor macros and pet claw macro.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st