Arcane Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Arcane Mage in Mythic+
Arcane Mage, although not the best out of the Mage specs, can hold its own in Mythic+. It can focus down priority targets very quickly due to its burst potential, and it can also do quite strong AoE damage when needed.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Arcane Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Arcane Mage DPS rotation, refer back to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
Arcane Mage Utility
The main reason to bring a Arcane Mage to a Mythic+ group is for its damage, but aside from that, it also has some very valuable utility which makes every Mythic+ group want at least one Mage:
- Arcane Intellect is a big boost for both the other caster DPS in the group, as well as additional healing for the healer.
- Time Warp is a required cooldown for any Mythic+ group.
- Remove Curse can be useful to dispel Curses in some dungeons.
- An Arcane Mage adds some crowd-control in the form of Polymorph.
- Spellsteal can be useful in some dungeons to remove dangerous buffs from enemy targets. Sometimes it can also be used as a big DPS boost for the Arcane Mage by Spellstealing beneficial buffs that increase your damage.
Mythic+ Talents for Arcane Mage
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+. There are a couple of choices you can make with the talents, which are discussed below.
|15||✗ Amplification||✓ Rule of Threes||? Arcane Familiar|
|30||? Mana Shield||✓ Shimmer||✓ Slipstream|
|45||? Incanter's Flow||✗ Mirror Image||✓ Rune of Power|
|60||✓ Resonance||✗ Charged Up||✗ Supernova|
|75||✓ Chrono Shift||✗ Ice Ward||✗ Ring of Frost|
|90||✓ Reverberate||✗ Touch of the Magi||✓ Nether Tempest|
|100||✓ Overpowered||✗ Time Anomaly||✓ Arcane Orb|
There are 3 real choices to make in the talent tree for Mythic+ content.
Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents for Arcane Mage in Mythic+
Rune of Power is in theory the better choice here. It is both more DPS on single-target and on AoE. However, in certain dungeons it may be hard to stay in your Rune of Power due to a variety of different reasons. If you notice you are forced to move out of your Rune of Power multiple times during a dungeon, you should consider Incanter's Flow.
Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents for Arcane Mage in Mythic+
Reverberate is the better AoE DPS option. However, during Tyrannical weeks, Nether Tempest should be considered. This is because Nether Tempest is not far behind Reverberate on AoE, and can actually be used for single-target DPS.
Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents for Arcane Mage in Mythic+
Season 4 Affix: Awakened
The only part of this affix that really applies to Mages, is Voidweaver Mal'thir. Mal'thir spawns when you activate the Cursed Spire of Ny'alotha—or when the last boss is pulled without activating that spire—and proceeds to cast both Crippling Pestilence and Lingering Doubt. Lingering Doubt leaves a curse on the target that reduces casting speed by 70% for 8 seconds. It is up to you to Remove Curse if that should land on a caster.
Beyond that, treat them as you would any other trash mobs. They need to die, and if engaged by their spire, so do their adds.
Mythic+ Azerite Traits
There are two Arcane Mage-specific traits should be used when possible in Mythic+
- Explosive Echo will increase your AoE damage significantly in Mythic+.
- Arcane Pressure is extremely strong in Mythic+, especially combined with Resonance. If you make sure to have 4 Arcane Charges when a group of enemies hits 35% Health, you can instantly Arcane Barrage them, follow it up with an Arcane Orb which should give you 4 Arcane Charges again, and allow you to Arcane Barrage again. In a lot of Mythic+ levels, this rotation of 3 spells will outright finish off an entire pack of enemies from 35%, especially if you managed to get the trait on multiple pieces of Azerite gear.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Updated for season 4.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Added season 3 affix descriptions.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 03 Feb. 2019: Slightly tweaked Reaping affix recommendation.
- 01 Feb. 2019: Updated for Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for 8.1.
- 28 Aug. 2018: Added Overpowered as a viable talent choices for Tyrannical weeks.
- 20 Aug. 2018: Changed talent suggestions based on more in-game experience and simulations.
- 10 Aug. 2018: Added Arcane Mage Mythic+ page.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd