Arcane Mage Frequently Asked Questions — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
How much Haste should Arcane Mage use?
There are no haste caps for Arcane Mages.
However, depending on your chosen talents, and your other stats, Haste will lose some value at higher levels. To make sure you run with optimal stats, it is advised to use Raidbots Stat Weights to actively keep your stats up to date (see our Raidbots guide).
How good is Arcane Mage in the current patch?
All three Mage specs are very close to each other in the current patch, which allows people to largely play what they are most comfortable with. There are , of course exceptions, which we go into below.
In a Raiding setting, Arcane is a arguably the best Mage specialization. If you want to be fully optimal, there are some small benefits you can get from playing a different spec on some bosses, but overall, Arcane is the go-to Mage spec most bosses, especially the later bosses. As time goes on and gear improves, Arcane is likely to become more dominant as boss kill timers become faster and faster.
In a Mythic+ setting, Arcane is very strong. It is among the top specs to be played across all classes, and can be taken to any key level, including the very highest keys being pushed right now.
Which race is best for Arcane Mage?
Troll is the best race for Arcane Mage. However, all races are very close in DPS, and it generally does not matter which race you pick.
For a full overview of the DPS of every race, check the simulations page.
When Should I Enter the Burn Phase?
You can enter the Burn Phase whenever you have Arcane Surge, Touch of the Magi, Radiant Spark and Evocation ready.
- 24 Nov. 2023: Updated viability section based on live data.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated viability section in preperation for season 3.
- 07 Sep. 2023: Updated viability section with more details.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 15 Jul. 2023: Updated viabiliity question for the balance patch.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated viability for 10.1.5 after the Arcane rework, and removed RoP vs IF question due to RoP removal
- 01 May 2023: Updated viability section for 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 10 Jan. 2023: Updated the burn phase conditions to account for Siphon storm talents.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2