Arcane Mage DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, we explain how to easily play Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Arcane Mage
Arcane is a great Swiss Army Knife that has a complete toolkit to approach any situation. It provides great burst as well as impressive AoE. It is also hyper mobile and comes equipped with a variety of defensive spells and cooldowns. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
If you are completely new to Arcane and need more information on the abilities available to you, you can check out our Spell Summary page.
Covenant Choice for Arcane Mage
If you want to go more indepth, we suggest you check out the Covenant page below for what Covenant to play for what situation.
Conduit Choice for Arcane Mage
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Arcane Mage
- Arcane Prodigy (when Night Fae
- Magi's Brand
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only)
- Arcane Prodigy (when not Night Fae)
- Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only)
- Nether Precision
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Arcane Mage
- Artifice of the Archmage
- Magi's Brand
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only)
- Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
For more info regarding what Soulbind and Conduits to pick for what situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Talent Choice for Arcane Mage
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. These talents aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Amplification
- Level 25: Shimmer or Slipstream
- Level 30: Rune of Power
- Level 35: Arcane Resonance OR Arcane Echo if you have 4-set
- Level 40: Chrono Shift
- Level 45: Arcane Orb
- Level 50: Overpowered
If you are looking for the absolute best talents for Arcane, which do not compromise on performance for ease of use, you can find a more in-depth analysis on our full talents page below.
Gearing an Arcane Mage
Stat Choice for Arcane Mage
You will want to prioritize secondary stats as follows:
- Critical Strike;
We recommend you prioritize item levels over specific stats, as they are all very close in value.
While the stat priority for classes is normally the same for both the Easy Mode page and our full guide, subtle differences can still occur. If you want to see the full explanation of the stat priority, as well as the absolute top choices for the priority, head to our full stats page below.
Legendary Choice for Arcane Mage
With 9.2, you are able to equip 2 Legendaries. Your first standard Legendary to equip should be Arcane Harmony. Then additionally, you can equip Unity, which will grant you the Covenant specific Legendary, which is Harmonic Echo when playing Kyrian.
If you are looking for in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
If you are interested in finding out about the specific best in slot items from the current tier, or want more information on how to gear, we suggest reading the full gearing page below.
Basic Rotation for Arcane Mage
The Arcane rotation consists of 2 priority lists, the Burn Phase and the Conserve Phase. The concept is to maintain a high and stable Mana pool during your "Conserve" phase, biding time until your cooldowns are available. As soon as your cooldowns are ready, you enter the "Burn" phase where you siphon all your Mana into damage. Then when you run out of Mana, you use Evocation to return back to full Mana.
The Burn Phase
You can enter the Burn Phase when the following is true:
- Arcane Power OR Rune of Power is ready;
- You have 18 stacks of Arcane Harmony;
- Radiant Spark is ready;
- Touch of the Magi is ready.
Below we have listed the order in which you should perform your spells during the Burn Phase.
- If Arcane Power is not available, cast Rune of Power, if available;
- Cast Radiant Spark;
- Cast Touch of the Magi;
- Cast Arcane Power (if ready) and any other cooldowns, like Racial abilities and on-use trinket, if available;
- Cast Arcane Blast 5 times
- Cast Arcane Barrage immediately after finishing the 5th Arcane Blast. As long as you ensure you cast Arcane Barrage together with the 5th Arcane Blast, both will fire at the same time and both will benefit from the final charge of Radiant Spark.
The Conserve Phase
You should enter the Conserve Phase any time you are not in the Burn Phase. The goal of the Conserve Phase is to ensure you do not go out of Mana, while trying to get in as many Arcane Barrages with high stacks of Arcane Harmony as possible.
- Cast Arcane Barrage with more than 15 stacks of Arcane Harmony, and 4 OR 0 Arcane Charges (not 1-3)
- Cast Arcane Orb when you are on 0 or 1 Arcane Charges
- Cast Arcane Blast when you have 1, 2, or 3 Arcane Charges (generally only happens after using Arcane Orb)
- Cast Arcane Missiles as your filler to generate Arcane Harmony stacks
The above rotation should get you started on performing well on your Arcane Mage. However, there are many small optimisations you can make in your rotation, which can be found in the full detailed rotation guide.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Jan. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Changed suggested Covenant to Necrolord due to 9.0.5 buffs.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Launch. Removed BfA sections like essences and azerite, and added Shadowlands sections like Legendaries and Covenants. Updated talents and rotation for new optimal play.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Beta Development Notes: June 22nd
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Closed Beta Now Live
- Halondrus Visuals Fixed, but Now the Ground Is Missing?
- What's Ahead for Wrath Classic (Developer Update)
- Putting a Plan Together Quest Currently Up on Live Servers
- Faction and Transfer Restrictions Lifted in Burning Crusade Classic
- Lil Ursoc Model and Emotes Preview
- Third Encrypted Dragonflight Alpha Build on WoW Dev Branch