Class Changes in Shadowlands Expansion
In this overview, you will find a comprehensive list of all class changes and the general class philosophy going into the Shadowlands expansion.
Shadowlands Class Changes
On this page, you will find more details about Blizzard's class philosophy for the Shadowlands expansion and links to individual class changes.
Shadowlands Class Philosophy
Many tools and perks that had once defined certain classes became increasingly widespread over the years, diminishing class uniqueness. To fix this in the past, the developers made changes to talents with Mists of Pandaria, and removed several abilities in Warlords of Draenor. In Legion, they focused on class identity and carving out a distinct fantasy for each specialization to go along with their Artifact weapons, which resulted in the removal of several long-standing class-wide abilities and adding new specialization-specific abilities in the process.
In Battle for Azeroth, they have moved too far away from the core of the class that initially sparked players' interest when they first created their character, and in Shadowlands, they want to return to the idea that a specialization is about powering up a specific part of a class's kit, not narrowing down their toolset.
Shadowlands is about player choice and the goal is to give players more opportunities to make impactful choices to customize their gameplay and express their own vision of how their characters engage in combat. To achieve this, many specialization-specific and iconic abilities that help define class identity are coming back and will be class-wide.
Area-of-Effect Ability Changes
Large pulls have become a prevalent tactic in much of the game, which made it hard for many classes to find a clear role. As a result, Blizzard revisited the maximum number of targets that many abilities can hit in Shadowlands, which results in nerfs to many AoE abilities.
The general philosophy is to allow melee classes to excel in situations with four to five targets and ranged casters perform better against five or more targets.
Shadowlands Talent Changes
Due to the level squish, you will gain access to a new row of talents at Level 15, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50.
Shadowlands Class Changes
You can find all class-specific changes linked below. They will go live with the Shadowlands pre-patch before the expansion is released.
Shadowlands Class Changes History
This section contains links to all past class changes that went live with each Alpha build.
- Shadowlands Alpha Build 34490 Class Changes
- Shadowlands Alpha Build 34365 Class Changes
- Shadowlands Alpha Build 34278 Class Changes
- Shadowlands Alpha Build 34199 Class Changes
- Shadowlands Alpha Build 34137 Class Changes
- Shadowlands Alpha Build 34081 Class Changes
- 25 May 2020: Class changes history updated with links to Alpha Build 34490 news.
- 14 May 2020: Class changes history updated with latest Alpha build.
- 08 May 2020: Updated with class changes history.
- 28 Apr. 2020: Included AoE ability changes.
- 21 Apr. 2020: Page added.
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: Class Changes
- Unique Icy Veins Death Knight Armor Set by Handclaw
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: New Anima Powers
- Shade Beast Mounts in Shadowlands