How Soulbinding Works in Shadowlands: A Guide to Covenant Soulbinds and Conduits
Welcome to our guide to Soulbinding in Shadowlands. Here, you will learn what Soulbinding is, how to unlock the individual Soulbinds for each Covenant, what Soulbind traits they bestow upon your character, and how to empower your class further with Conduits.
You will bind your soul to one of the Soulbinds in Shadowlands in exchange for powers in the form of Soulbind traits and Conduits.
Soulbind paths are reminiscent of Legion Artifacts with their trait-like "trees". Here is what a Soulbind path looks like.
You have to select a path of 8 nodes through the proposed tree with multiple choices at times. Each node grants you a Soulbind trait and empty nodes can be filled with class-specific perks of your choice also known as Conduits that you can get from doing various content in Shadowlands.
In Shadowlands, there are 12 possible Soulbind paths, each tied to specific Covenant members that you will encounter in Shadowlands. You will have access to 3 Soulbinds per Covenant.
Soulbinding and Covenants
After hitting Level 60, you can choose to pledge yourself to a Covenant and forge a deep bond with some of their key members, who will lend their powers to use as your own. In practice, each Covenant will allow you to form this link with only 1 of their 3 Soulbinds at a time (but you can easily switch this link to another Soulbind within the same Covenant).
The first 2 Soulbinds are available as soon as you join a Covenant and do some questing. The third Soulbind unlocks when you complete the Covenant Campaign quest line.
Soulbinds have 8 rows of powers that augment your abilities or boost your combat prowess. Each Soulbind offers different traits and has a unique Soulbind path and layout.
You are offered with multiple choices when the nodes intersect.
Unlocking Soulbind Rows
You can unlock new rows of power for your Soulbinds as you increase your trust with your Covenant through the Renown system.
- You may access the second row of Soulbind traits at Renown Level 2.
- You will gain access to the third row of Soulbind traits at Renown Level 4 and 5.
- The fourth row of Soulbind traits unlocks at Renown Level 7 and 10.
- You must reach Renown Level 13 and 16 to unlock the fourth row of Soulbind traits.
- The sixth row of Soulbind traits unlocks at Renown Level 24 and 27.
- The seventh row becomes available at Renown Level 31, 32, and 35.
- The final row of traits for all of your Soulbinds unlocks at Renown Level 39.
You must be in a rest area to switch Soulbinds.
The Forge of Bonds located in your Covenant Sanctum allows you to augment your Soulbinds with Conduits, socketed passives that enhance your Class and Covenant Abilities.
There are three types of Soulbind Conduits (each marked with a different symbol):
- Finesse Conduits — Provide you with utility
- Potency Conduits — Increase your damage output
- Endurance Conduits — Increase your survivability
You must drag a Conduit from your Inventory and insert into the corresponding empty Conduit slot to activate it.
Each Soulbind comes with seven Conduit slots, out of which you can select four.
Note that you cannot use the same Conduit twice and your Conduits will not reset when you switch your specialization.
Obtaining Soulbind Conduits
Conduits can be obtained by completing various activities in the Shadowlands expansion. No other information is available at this time.
Replacing Soulbind Conduits
If you wish to replace an existing Conduit you can simply right-click it and remove it. Then, you can drag and drop the new Conduit into the now empty slot.
Conduits will not take up valuable inventory space and each character will have their own collection of Conduits, very similar to Essences in Battle for Azeroth.
You will be able to swap out Conduits once per week.
Upgrading Soulbind Conduits
Each Soulbind Conduit has up to 15 Ranks. We are not sure how the upgrade system will work at this time, as the system has not been fully tested yet on the Beta.
- 08 Aug. 2020: Updated for the latest Beta Build.
- 22 Jul. 2020: Updates to Introduction section.
- 21 Jul. 2020: Guide added.
- List of Preserved Contaminants on Sale Through August 14th
- Sinrunner Reins Mount in Shadowlands
- Herald of the Titans Achievement in Shadowlands
- Night Fae Soulbind Niya Provides Players with "Shadowmeld" in Shadowlands
- Rockbiter and Windfury Weapon at the Same Time (or Flametongue or Frostbrand)
- Detailed Outland Topographic Map by Sturmbart
- The Jailer's Size Compared to a Dwarf
- Awesome WoW Class Series Trailer by IKedit