Frost Death Knight PvP Best Covenants, Soulbinds, Conduits, and Legendary Powers (Dragonflight / 10.0.2.)
On this page, you will find information about which Covenant you should be unlocking. After choosing your Covenant, you will have to unlock your best Soulbind and collect Conduits. This page will outline which of these is the best, including the correct Soulbind path you should choose. Finally, we will tell you which Legendary Powers are the best to have for PvP and in which situations you should be swapping them.
This page is part of our Frost Death Knight PvP Guide.
Best Covenant for Frost Death Knights in PvP
For more information about what Covenants bring you, please refer to our page about Covenant abilities for Monks.
Covenants are an extremely important choice in PvP. They give both a signature ability and a class ability, as well as many additional effects through Soulbinds and Conduits. These mechanics will vary heavily based on the Covenant that you choose. Covenants can also be swapped freely as long as you are at least 80 Renown in one Covenant. Below are the best Covenants for Frost Death Knight.
- Necrolord is the best overall Covenant to use. Abomination Limb is one of the most impactful buttons to press in Frost Death Knight's entire toolkit. It groups up the enemy team for both you and your partner's cleave damage, it generates Rime procs that deal a great amount of cleave damage and generate Killing Machine procs during Pillar of Frost, and also peels every enemy in range from your teammates. All of this from a single button press, while gaining some of the best survival options with Fleshcraft and the Soulbinds makes Necrolord easily the top pick.
- Night Fae provides very powerful cleave opportunities to every Pillar of Frost with the short cooldown on Death's Due. The Soulbinds are also very strong at increasing your burst windows. Night Fae is more setup-based than Necrolord and cannot match the sheer power that Necrolord generates every 2 minutes, but for a more frequent burst window you could play Night Fae.
Best Soulbinds for Frost Death Knights in PvP
Soulbinds are unlocked as you progress your character with a Covenant. These unlock powerful paths that can be taken to give you powerful spells, important passives, etc.
Here are the Soulbinds and paths you should take if you chose Necrolord:
This Soulbind and path earns you a large increase to your burst windows during Abomination Limb and also buffs your teammates during this time, making it the most aggressive option for 3v3 Arena. It does not provide survivability as well as the other two Soulbinds do, but heavily emphasizes your kill windows.
This Soulbind and path emphasizes survivability and sustained damage. The Mastery proc you get from this path will be active nearly all the time which will increase your damage during every setup. The survivability should help you last longer to reach each setup as well.
Here is the Soulbind and path you should take if you chose Night Fae:
This path will add a great Mastery proc to your standard rotation and even more when you use your Covenant Ability. This adds reliable pressure to every setup because it is on-demand. The extra movement speed and slow is fairly powerful for keeping uptime on your target.
Best Conduits for Frost Death Knights in PvP
Conduits are passive buffs that you can use to fill empty slots in your Soulbind Trees. There are three types of Conduits: Potency, Endurance, and Finesse. Here are the best Conduits for each of those different types:
Best Potency Conduits for Frost Death Knights in PvP
- Accelerated Cold makes your rune generation cooldown available much more often, while increasing the Haste it generates which is a very valuable stat for us during burst windows.
- Everfrost is very simple; it just increases the damage of Remorseless Winter by a percent that increases every time it deals damage. This is great for cleave, especially if you are setting up your AoE damage properly and locking the enemy down.
- Unleashed Frenzy is an easily accessible Strength increase as it will proc from every Frost Strike which you will be using fairly often.
- Brutal Grasp adds a ton of damage into an already potent burst window making it even more difficult to deal with, if you have chosen Necrolord as your Covenant.
- Eradicating Blow makes your Obliterate cause the next Frost Strike to deal additional damage stacking up to two times. This is powerful during Pillar of Frost where you are alternating between Frost Strike and Obliterate.
Best Endurance Conduits for Frost Death Knights in PvP
- Insatiable Appetite increases the healing done by Death Strike, which is valuable in every situation.
- Hardened Bones gives much needed damage mitigation to Lichborne making it a much more potent survivability option.
Best Finesse Conduits for Frost Death Knights in PvP
- Chilled Resilience reduces the cooldown on our most impactful defensive and is good in every situation.
- Fleeting Wind gives additional mobility to Death's Advance and mobility is one of our biggest weaknesses.
Best Legendaries for Frost Death Knights in PvP
Legendaries have many different effects and some can alter how you should use some of your abilities. For more information on Legendaries, check out our general guide on them.
Here are the best Legendaries for a Frost Death Knight.
- Absolute Zero is a comp defining Legendary. Frost Death Knight has always relied on its teammates to do AoE stuns after Death Grip but this Legendary provides you with one, on a relatively short cooldown. This both increases the frequency of your setups, and enables them in comps that previously did not have an AoE stun. It is incredible!
- Biting Cold provides a potent increase to every AoE setup you do. The free Rime proc is additional pressure while also generating runes and Killing Machine during Obliteration.
- Koltira's Favor provides a sizeable single-target increase as well as resource generation. It will gain a lot of value over the course of the game because of how much we use Obliterate.
- Death's Embrace is extremely potent for all Death Knights because of how much CC immunity and survivability it provides every time it is active. It is a very good general use Legendary, as it can provide both offensive and defensive value.
- Unity is the new Legendary with 9.2. Unity provides your Covenant's Legendary power in addition to the Legendary you are using. As Death Knight you will be Necrolord which means you will receive Abomination's Frenzy. In most cases, you will pair this with Absolute Zero for enormous power during your Pillar of Frost.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 02 Mar. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.0.
- 11 Dec. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 02 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 20 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 20 Feb. 2021: Addition of a new powerful Soulbind option.
- 05 Dec. 2020: Page added.
- Riders of Azeroth Spotted in Zaralek Cavern in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of the Druid Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Week #2
- World Boss Liskanoth Available on Live Servers During the Week of March 28th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 27th: Class Tuning
- A Preview of Sporebat Rock Mounts in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of Death Knight Crucible Raid Set in Patch 10.1
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Week 1