Frost Death Knight DPS Spec, Builds, and Talents — Dragonflight 10.0.7
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Frost Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.0.7. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
Talent Builds for Frost Death Knight
There are three distinct builds that you can choose to run in a raiding environment, each one being good in a specific scenario. The Breath of Sindragosa build is a high-risk, high-reward build that requires you to stick to the boss for 60+ seconds to fully leverage its power. It is great whenever there is constant cleave, or when you can safely maintain it for more than a minute. Furthermore, you can greatly increase its potential by soaking magic damage spells with Anti-Magic Shell and Assimilation.
When it comes to choices in this build, they primarily exist in the class-specific tree. You want to pick up the following great talents: Merciless Strikes, Might of Thassarian, Gloom Ward, Runic Attenuation, Icy Talons, Rune Mastery, Unholy Bond, Empower Rune Weapon and Abomination Limb. Outside of these, the choices are very much up to you. You can opt for a pure defensive build with Permafrost, Will of the Necropolis, Unholy Endurance and Acclimation or you can pick up better mobility with March of Darkness and Wraith Walk. There are lots of viable permutations here!
In the spec-specific tree, our choice primarily comes from allocating points from Bonegrinder into other talents. Potential replacements include Frostwyrm's Fury, Frostwhelp's Aid and Chill Streak (in specific 2-target scenarios)
Furthermore, there are two builds that leverage Obliteration to deal big damage. They have much smaller burst windows (12 seconds) and are more versatile when it comes to mechanics forcing you out of range. First of all, the 2H version is the burstiest version with nice damage every 30-40 seconds. You can import it using the below string
Potential replacements here center around Frostwyrm's Fury. You can opt to pick up Inexorable Assault instead for a bit more passive gameplay without losing much single target throughput. Whenever there are adds though, Frostwyrm's Fury will just win outright.
DW Obliteration is the other choice. This leverages Shattering Blade with the Rune of Razorice Runeforge to deal very consistent damage. Its burst windows are good but it overall deals nice damage all the time. It does have a ton of procs and is a fun build to play if you like a "wack a mole" playstyle.
For boss-specific tips associated with your talents, please see the raid page.
Mythic+ can vary very heavily in the optimal talents that you take, depending on the affixes or the dungeons themselves. If you want advice that is specific to Mythic+, and how to deal with certain affixes and dungeons, then you should check out our Mythic+ page linked below. This is very similar to the raid build only swapping Empower Rune Weapon for Glacial Advance! Potential replacements come from allocating points from Enduring Strength into Chill Streak and Absolute Zero. This can be useful in specific dungeons like Ruby Life Pools!
For more info on Mythic+ builds and info, please see the Mythic+ page below!
Talents can and usually do change your rotation or add new abilities into your priority. For a more detailed breakdown of how your rotation will look with optimal talents, check out our rotation page linked below.
PvP Talents (War Mode)
In this section we will rank the PvP talents that are best for leveling and doing open-world content.
- PvP talents enabled in the outdoor world.
- 10% increase in World Quest rewards at maximum level.
- 10% more experience gained while leveling.
- Earn Conquest Points which can reward gear every week.
With the benefits of enabling War Mode for leveling and PvE content, it is recommended to enable the feature to maximize your leveling and rewards at maximum level. However, you will make yourself available for open-world PvP, and the possibility to be "ganked" while leveling or doing World Quests exists.
Frost Death Knight War Mode Talents
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Frost Death Knight-specific PvE talents.
Frost Death Knight PvP Talents
- Necrotic Aura causes all enemies within 8 yards to take 8% increased magical damage. This has good synergy with a large part of your kit and is a major DPS increase.
- Spellwarden provides the Rune of Spellwarding Runeforge with 25% increased effectiveness. Okay defensive again against caster mobs in PvE.
- Deathchill causes your Remorseless Winter and Chains of Ice to root the target in place for 4 seconds. Your Remorseless Winter causes all targets within 5 yards to be afflicted with Deathchill. If a target is afflicted with Chains of Ice, then casting Chains of Ice again will afflict them with Deathchill. Good option for controlling the enemies you fight against!
- Delirium causes your Howling Blast and Frost Strike to apply Delirium to the target. Delirium reduces the cooldown recovery rate of movement abilities by 25% stacking up to 2 times for 15 seconds.
- Dark Simulacrum places a dark ward on the target for 12 seconds; when the target spends Mana on a spell, you gain a duplicate of that spell. This ability has a 20-second cooldown and costs 20 Runic Power. It can be used to steal a very strong spell that can turn the tides of a fight.
- Strangulate silences the target for 4 seconds. Okay against casters in PvE but generally not worth the point.
- Bitter Chill reduces the target's haste by 8% when affected by Chains of Ice. Frost Strike extends its duration. Good for PvP CC but generally worthless in PvE.
- Rot and Wither applies a 100% absorb shield for the damage dealt by Death and Decay. Not worth it in any PvE content.
- Shroud of Winter reduces the cast range of enemies within 8 yards around you by 30%. Not useful in PvE.
- Dead of Winter causes your Remorseless Winter to stun an enemy for 4 seconds when it deals damage 5 times to that enemy. It also increases Remorseless Winter's cooldown by 25 seconds and reduces the radius by 5 yards. This is a bad PvP talent since it reduces our DPS. Remorseless Winter is a big part of our DPS and increasing its cooldown is a bad thing.
Necrotic Aura is the most beneficial PvP talent by far since it provides and actual DPS increase. Spellwarden is a solid defensive upgrade and Deathchill helps to control your enemies. All other talents are not very impactful or simply worse for our damage throughput!
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated talents for 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Death Knight Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- New Potential Evoker Spells Added in Patch 10.1 Build 48661
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 23rd
- Primordial Stone Hotfix Changes: March 23rd
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Day 1
- Mythic+ Tier List in Dragonflight Season 1 (Week 15)
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 22nd
- Class Set Updates and Clarifications in Patch 10.1: March 22nd
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 PTR Dev Notes: March 22nd