Frost Death Knight DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Frost Death Knight in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Frost Death Knight
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Azerite traits, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
Patch 8.2 introduced a new type of gear themed around Nazjatar and the new raid (The Eternal Palace). You can obtain this gear through activities such as World Quests, Regular Quests, and they are even Bind on Account, meaning you can use them to gear up your alts. There is a shop where you can purchase these Bind on Account Benthic gear tokens for Prismatic Manapearls. This currency is also used to upgrade the base item from 385 all the way up to 425. These tokens have a chance to roll tertiary stats and even a socket, so you may want to hold off upgrading gear until you get a socket on the piece you want.
Of the Benthic gear that is available, these are the ones that are very powerful for the Eternal Palace and Nazjatar content: Zanj'ir Scaleguard Greatbelt (works on Orgozoa and Za'qul, Harbinger of Ny'alotha in the Eternal Palace), Vim's Scalecrusher Girdle, Waveblade Farseer's Armguards, and Akana's Reefstrider Boots.
Currently, for Frost Death Knights, the Akana's Reefstrider Boots are especially strong and you may see some of these pieces sim even higher than Mythic raid gear.
Currently in Operation: Mechagon, the most notable items are the pair of rings Logic Loop of Division and Overclocking Bit Band or Shorting Bit Band. This set of rings together is very powerful, since you are able to have 100% uptime on the buff as long as you can get behind the target. If you can obtain this set, then it may perform better than some Heroic and Mythic Ny'alotha rings.
Azerite Gear for Frost Death Knights
For information about what Azerite traits to choose and what the best items are, see our Azerite page.
With the changes in Battle for Azeroth your primary stat is going to be your best stat. Even though this is the case, a higher item level piece of gear does contain more secondary stats which usually makes it an upgrade. When you are looking for gear upgrades you will usually find them in a higher item level piece of gear.
Trinket Simulation for Frost Death Knight
The current best end-game setup for single target trinkets is Azshara's Font of Power and Ashvane's Razor Coral. How you use these 2 together is by using Azshara's Font of Power at 5 seconds before the pull, then use Ashvane's Razor Coral about 15 seconds into the fight when it comes off the 20 second trinket on use cooldown. The second usage of this setup is before your 2nd Breath of Sindragosa, when your 4th Pillar of Frost is coming off cooldown, you use Azshara's Font of Power 10 seconds before Pillar of Frost is off cooldown, then Ashvane's Razor Coral at 10 seconds into your Breath of Sindragosa.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
Single-Target Corruption Ranking
AoE Corruption Ranking
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- Death's Advance and Wraith Walk are very useful for dealing with Grasping Tendrils so saving these cooldowns for crucial moments where movement is important is very helpful.
- Anti-Magic Shell can be used to absorb some of the damage of the Eye of Corruption which can also act as a DPS gain seeing as you will gain Ruinic power when your Anti-Magic Shell absorbs magic damage.
- Asphyxiate can be used on the Thing from Beyond from Grand Delusions in order to get rid of it since it disappears when it is stunned.
Corruption Weapon for Frost Death Knight
- Faralos, Empire's Dream is nice because it drops from the first boss of the raid (Wrathion) however the effect Searing Flames is not very strong and has a low corruption to DPS ratio making it very likely that you cleanse this weapon.
Recommended The Eternal Palace Gear
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
This does not include items that are found outside of the raid, so this may be altered based on items you have available from outside sources. Note that this also does not include trinkets as they are covered in the above chart:
Also note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls.
|Helm||Second Sight Helm||Il'gynoth, Corruption Reborn in Ny'alotha raid|
|Shoulder||Writhing Spaulders of Madness||The Prophet Skitra in Ny'alotha raid|
|Cloak||Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve||Legendary Cloak quest line|
|Chest||Breastplate of Twilight Decimation||Vexiona in Ny'alotha raid|
|Wrists||Bracers of Phantom Pains||Shad'har the Insatiable in Ny'alotha raid|
|Gloves||Mirage-Weaver's Gauntlets||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha raid|
|Belt||Belt of Muttering Truths||Drest'agath in Ny'alotha raid|
|Legs||Living Obsidian Legguards||Maut in Ny'alotha raid|
|Boots||Boots of Hallucinatory Reality||The Prophet Skitra> in Ny'alotha raid|
|Ring #1||Ichorspine Loop||Drest'agath in Ny'alotha raid|
|Ring #2||Void-Etched Band||Shad'har the Insatiable in Ny'alotha raid|
|Weapon||Lurker's Piercing Gaze||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha raid|
- 21 Jan. 2020: Updated the BiS List for Ny'alotha.
- 15 Jan. 2020: Added a section for corrupted weapons and tips for dealing with corruption.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Initial update for Patch 8.3, with more to come.
- 20 Jul. 2019: Added a section for Mechagon gear.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Updated BiS for The Eternal Palace.
- 05 Jul. 2019: Added a section for Benthic gear.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 19 Mar. 2019: Added a note about on-use trinkets.
- 22 Jan. 2019: Added a Recommended Gear List for Battle of Dazar'alor, and an introduction to the RaidBots Droptimizer feature.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 29 Aug. 2018: Added a hectic add cleave trinket chart.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Battle.net App Updated for Shadowlands Alpha
- The Blizzard April Fools Archive and Highlights
- Long Queues on Select Realms Will Be Addressed Soon
- Is Shadowlands Alpha Coming Next Week?
- Player Beats the Game and Earns All Achievements in World of Warcraft
- New Statues & Framed Photographs Available on Blizzard Gear Store
- Community April Fools Roundup
- Patch 8.8.8 Official Notes
- Elemental Shaman 8.3
- Cant Complete "Establishing your Outpost"
- Havoc Demon Hunter PvP 8.3
- Mission Table - Advancements Guide
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.3
- looking for help with pve/pvp build for good dps and good pvp
- Tortollan Seekers Reputation
- Death Knight Leveling