Frost Death Knight DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.0.2
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Frost Death Knight in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.0.2.
Gearing a Frost Death Knight
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Frost Death Knight. This section will cover everything you need to know about gearing your character correctly.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Frost Death Knight
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
As you find new gear upgrades, you will want to make sure that they are kept enchanted and gemmed according to your sim results. In order to do so efficiently, make sure to check out our Enchants and Stats pages below.
Simulations are usually character specific, but there are simulations available for the best gear setup obtainable. Below, you can find some of these more general simulations on our dedicated page, but it is important to note that the outcome of these simulations heavily depends on the builds chosen.
Remember that it can be better to have more (quantitatively) secondary stats of different kinds, than simply focusing on one secondary stat, due to the secondary stat diminishing returns. This can mean that a higher item level piece of gear with worse stats can be an upgrade simply because of the amount of stats on that piece of gear. For more information on stats, please refer to our dedicated page.
Early Gearing in Shadowlands
Once you reach max level and finish the Shadowlands campaign you will start to look for upgrades to your gear. Our recommendation for this is to start with World Quests and Heroic Dungeons. For Mythic dungeons, at 0 level, it is most efficient to find a group of people to clear all the dungeons in one go, during the first lockout. Make sure to grab your legendary from Torghast and buy any crafted or BoE gear that fits your budget from the Auction House.
Adding Sockets to Your Gear
There is an NPC in The Maw that allows you to obtain a consumable that adds a socket to an item that did not already have one. For more information on how to obtain it, please visit our Ve'nari page.
Trinket Simulation for Frost Death Knight
Legendary Powers for Frost Death Knight
In Shadowlands, you have a choice as to which legendary power your character will use. You will eventually get all of the powers, however this will take a long time so you should focus on the powers that best fit what you want to do in the game.
Here are the 3 best Legendary Powers.
- Koltira's Favor offers the best single-target increase, as well as solid resource generation. It is over 2% above the next-best option for single target, while still being a solid AoE option.
- Rage of the Frozen Champion is a consistent and competitive option offering solid single-target and AoE damage, while also being available before Castle Nathria, unlike Koltira's Favor.
- Biting Cold is a weak single-target option, but offers the best AoE damage, making it a decent Mythic+ option depending on your group.
Since Koltira's Favor is not available until Castle Nathria is released then you will have to look at the other options. We recommend going Rage of the Frozen Champion until you are able to get Koltira's Favor. Rage of the Frozen Champion is the most balanced option until then allowing you to optimize your damage in Mythic 0s, Mythic+, and the raid.
Best in Slot Items for Frost Death Knight
If you have read the previous section, you should now understand that static Best in Slot lists are always misleading, and it is best to use the tools at your disposal, notably Raidbots Top Gear and its new Droptimizer options. This page will be updated before the Castle Nathria with a Raid BiS list.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands release, added a section on early Shadowlands gearing and one on Legendary Powers, removed a lot of BfA-specific information.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- The Shadowlands User Metacritic Score Is... Problematic
- Doubleagent Is Back at It, Already Level 53
- Naxxramas and Changes to the Scourge Event in WoW Classic
- Naxxramas Movie Teaser by IKedit
- Collect 810 Soul Ash to Craft First Legendary Next Week
- Legendary Powers Catch-Up System in Shadowlands
- The Only Realm First Achievement of Shadowlands
- Glory of the Shadowlands Hero Has Already Been Completed