Frost Death Knight PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Dragonflight / 10.0.5)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Frost Death Knight in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats, followed by advice on how to choose the rest of your gear and your trinkets.
This page is part of our Frost Death Knight PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Frost Death Knights in PvP
The stat priority for Frost Death Knights in PvP is as follows:
- Mastery = Haste
- Critical Strike
Versatility is the best stat by far. Versatility, in PvP, has the highest contribution to output, while also heavily increasing survivability through healing and damage mitigation. No other stat can compete with Versatility in value in PvP.
Mastery and Haste are both very valuable stats and a combination of both should be used. Mastery drastically improves output to important abilities like Chill Streak and Obliterate during Killing Machine while Haste improves your ability to use your important burst windows by increasing resource generation and reducing the global cooldown.
Critical Strike is purely an output stat and does not do as much for our class as the other stats. Furthermore, during Pillar of Frost using the talent Obliteration all of our Obliterate presses will already crit, making the stat much less worthwhile during those windows.
As for gearing, there are no pieces you truly need to target for slots like legs or boots; you are just looking for the proper stats on them which will come from honor, conquest, professions, and the weekly cache. You will wear the crafted PvP Boots and crafted PvP Helmet for plate.
Crimson Gladiator's Emblem can be an option if you need to play particularly defensive against a comp you have not been able to survive against (probably Rogue/Hunter comps). Death Knights scale very well with increased health effects, because their heals are based on a percentage of your maximum health.
Crimson Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity is going to be used in most situations. The trinket provides a main stat proc along with static haste. Early on there will be low haste values so this trinket will prove to be useful.
Crimson Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity is best used with your damage cooldowns. Badge has higher value later into the season.
Gems and Enchants
Fill every gem socket you have with Zen Neltharite.
These are the best Frost Death Knight enchants by slot:
- Wrist: Enchant Bracer - Devotion of Leech or Enchant Bracer - Devotion of Leech
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Regenerative Leech or Enchant Cloak - Homebound Speed
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Sustained Strength
- Legs: Fierce Armor Kit
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Devotion of Versatility
- Neck: Tiered Medallion Setting
- Boots: Enchant Boots - Plainsrunner's Breeze
Death Knights get a special weapon enchant called Runeforges. Runeforging is done by using your Death Gate to get back to Acherus, the Ebon Hold. Rune of the Fallen Crusader, Rune of Razorice, Rune of Sanguination, and Rune of Spellwarding all have value in a PvP setting. Fallen Crusader and Razorice are the standard output-increasing Runeforges. However, Sanguination provides increased survivability against all comps, and Spellwarding provides heavily increased survivability against spell-cleaves. You can have multiple weapon sets in your bag, and switch them based on the enemy team composition.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 02 Mar. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 11 Dec. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 02 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 20 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 05 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 12 Nov. 2020: Updates made by new writer.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Riders of Azeroth Spotted in Zaralek Cavern in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of the Druid Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Week #2
- World Boss Liskanoth Available on Live Servers During the Week of March 28th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 27th: Class Tuning
- A Preview of Sporebat Rock Mounts in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of Death Knight Crucible Raid Set in Patch 10.1
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Week 1