Holy Paladin Healing Spec, Builds, and Talents — Shadowlands 9.0.5
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Holy Paladin in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.5. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our .
Talent Choices for Holy Paladin
|15||✓ Crusader's Might||✓ Bestow Faith||? Light's Hammer|
|25||? Saved by the Light||✓ Judgment of Light||✓ Holy Prism|
|30||? Fist of Justice||? Repentance||? Blinding Light|
|35||? Unbreakable Spirit||? Cavalier||✓ Rule of Law|
|40||✓ Divine Purpose||✓ Holy Avenger||? Seraphim|
|45||✓ Sanctified Wrath||? Avenging Crusader||✓ Awakening|
|50||✓ Glimmer of Light||? Beacon of Faith||? Beacon of Virtue|
Talents can be freely changed when out of combat and in a rested XP area (such as an inn or a capital city). Moreover, Tome of the Still Mind and Codex of the Still Mind can be used to temporarily allow players to change talents anywhere, as long as they are out of combat.
The current best build for Holy Paladin revolves around using the Glimmer of Light talent. If you are interested in seeing how this build plays and the rotation for it, please check out our dedicated rotation page below.
General-Use Talents for Holy Paladin
- Level 15: Crusader's Might
- Level 25: Judgment of Light
- Level 30: Any
- Level 35: Rule of Law
- Level 40: Divine Purpose
- Level 45: Awakening
- Level 50: Glimmer of Light
The talents listed above will provide you with the best spot for both large and small group sizes. The only real change you could make is replacing Rule of Law with Unbreakable Spirit for small group content. This will give you increased uptime on your defensives, which is more often needed, as you can normally reach the entire group when doing small content.
- Crusader's Might will allow your Crusader Strike to reduce the cooldown of Holy Shock.
- Avenging Wrath reduces the Holy Shock cooldown in half while active.
For raiding specific tips and advice, please consult our dedicated Holy Paladin raiding page, which you can find below. This will have boss specific talents, tips, and even raiding Azerite trait ranks.
If you are interested in how your talents and playstyle might change in Mythic+, please look at our detailed page for it below. There you will find recommended talents as well as tips.
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Holy Paladins
|✔ Crusader's Might||✔ Bestow Faith||? Light's Hammer|
- Crusader's Might causes Crusader Strike to reduce the cooldown of Holy Shock by 1.5 seconds.
- Bestow Faith is an active ability with a 12-second cooldown. It places a 5-second buff on an ally, which heals them at the end of the 5 seconds (but which does nothing until then). You gain 1 Holy Power when you cast the ability.
- Light's Hammer is an active ability with a 1-minute cooldown. It allows you to place a hammer on the ground at the targeted location, which lasts for 14 seconds. Every 2 seconds, it damages enemies within 10 yards, and heals up to 6 allies in the same radius.
Light's Hammer could be used on encounters where a large number of stacked raid members will sustain damage. It is quite poor on fights where the raid must spread out or move out of the active area. It is also fairly expensive compared to the Mana-efficient Bestow Faith.
Tier 2 (Level 25) Talents for Holy Paladins
|? Saved by the Light||✔ Judgment of Light||✔ Holy Prism|
- Saved by the Light provides your Beacon of Light target with a shield when they drop below 30% health. It can only be activated once every minute.
- Judgment of Light causes Judgment to apply a debuff with 25 targets to the target, called Judgment of Light. When the target is attacked, the attacker is healed and one charge is consumed.
- Holy Prism is an active ability with a 20-second cooldown. It allows you to target an ally or an enemy. When cast at an ally, it heals the target and damages 5 enemies within 15 yards of them. When cast at an enemy, it damages them and heals 5 allies within 15 yards of them.
Both Holy Prism and Judgment of Light are viable choices. While Holy Prism provides competitive HPS, it does not flow very well into the Holy Paladin rotation and can leave the class feel very clunky. It also has a mana cost that comes with it. Judgment of Light on the other hand plays very smoothly and has a mana cost of 0. In most cases you will want to take Judgment of Light for both Raiding and Mythic+.
Unfortunately, Saved by the Light will likely get outshined by its counterparts and will only be picked in very niche situations.
Tier 3 (Level 30) Talents for Holy Paladins
|? Fist of Justice||? Repentance||? Blinding Light|
- Fist of Justice causes each Holy Power spent to reduce the remaining cooldown of Hammer of Justice by 2 seconds.
- Repentance is an active ability with an 15-second cooldown. It is a form of crowd-control that incapacitates the target for up to 1 minute. Damage done will break the effect. Repentance can only be used against Humanoids, Demons, Undead, Dragonkin, and Giants.
- Blinding Light is an active ability with an 90-second cooldown. It disorients all enemies within a 10-yard radius around you for 6 seconds. Non-holy damage done to them will break the disorient effect.
The talents in this tier are completely situational, and you should choose them based on the requirements of the encounter.
That said, you will generally prefer Blinding Light for the additional interrupt; in Mythic+ dungeons especially, the mass interrupt is extremely useful. Alternatively, it can be nice to use Repentance for crowd-control in some situations, but Blinding Light is typically better.
Tier 4 (Level 35) Talents for Holy Paladins
|? Unbreakable Spirit||? Cavalier||✔ Rule of Law|
- Unbreakable Spirit passively reduces the cooldown of your Divine Shield, Divine Protection, and Lay on Hands by 30%.
- Cavalier causes your Divine Steed to have 2 charges.
- Rule of Law is an active ability with 2 charges and a 30-second recharge time. It increases the range of your heals and your Mastery: Lightbringer by 50% for 10 seconds. Regarding the Mastery range increase, your Mastery causes your healing to have full effectiveness on targets that are within 10 yards of you, with the effectiveness decreasing the farther away they are beyond that point. While Rule of Law is active, the maximum effectiveness radius is extended by 50%, to 15 yards, and only after that does your healing start to decrease.
In raids, we believe that the best choice is Rule of Law, which not only provides you with increased maximum range, but more importantly also increases the maximum effectiveness radius of your Mastery: Lightbringer to 15 yards. Note that this is also the only talent in this tier that increases overall healing done.
Cavalier is a poor choice for raid content in general, but it could work for fights where you absolutely need increased mobility.
In dungeons, all three talents are viable, but we recommend taking Unbreakable Spirit by default, especially for Mythic+ content. Rule of Law will only prove useful in exceptional cases where the group is spread out.
Tier 5 (Level 40) Talents for Holy Paladins
|✔ Divine Purpose||✔ Holy Avenger||? Seraphim|
- Divine Purpose causes your Holy Power spending abilities to have a 15% chance to make your next Holy Power spending ability free and deal 20% increased damage and healing.
- Holy Avenger provides a 3-minute cooldown that triples all Holy Power generation for its 20-second duration.
- Seraphim is an active ability with a 45-second cooldown and costs 3 Holy Power. It grants 8% Haste, Critical Strike, Versatility, and 12% Mastery for its 15-second duration.
Our level 40 talent row is extremely competitive it not unreasonable to see any of the three talents played. It is hard to know for sure what will pull ahead until Castle Nathria actually opens and we have the opportunity to collect more data.
Holy Avenger is still incredibly powerful with Light of Dawn doing a large portion of our healing. As long as the damage your group is taking will be long enough to match the duration of Holy Avenger, this talent will remain competitive.
Divine Purpose falls into a similar category of Holy Avenger, Light of Dawn does a lot of our healing and Divine Purpose just helps to give us more casts of that ability. It also has the added benefit of not requiring extended damage windows, we can make use of it no matter when it occurs.
Seraphim is interesting because it has very strong synergy with our primary cooldown Avenging Wrath as well as the Kyrian covenant ability Divine Toll. While we will not recommend this talent initially, do not be surprised if it ends up being the best talent in the row.
Tier 6 (Level 45) Talents for Holy Paladins
|✔ Sanctified Wrath||? Avenging Crusader||✔ Awakening|
- Sanctified Wrath increases the duration of Avenging Wrath by 25%, and reduces the cooldown of Holy Shock by 50% while Avenging Wrath is active.
- Avenging Crusader is a two minute cooldown with a 20 second duration that replaces Avenging Wrath. When Avenging Crusader is active your Judgment and Crusader Strike have their cooldowns reduced by 30% and any damage you deal with them will heal 3 injured allies for 250% of the damage dealt, each.
- Awakening gives Light of Dawn and Word of Glory a 15% chance to trigger the Avenging Wrath buff for 10 seconds. If Avenging Wrath is already active, the duration will be extended by 10 seconds.
Both Awakening and Sanctified Wrath are competitive choices. Changes to awakening in Shadowlands has caused the ability to gain significant power. While it is still heavily RNG reliant, the higher uptime it provides to Avenging Wrath has caused it to surpass Sanctified Wrath. In most cases you will want to select awakening for raiding.
Tier 7 (Level 50) Talents for Holy Paladins
|✔ Glimmer of Light||? Beacon of Faith||? Beacon of Virtue|
- Glimmer of Light causes Holy Shock to leave a buff on the target for 30 seconds when used on an ally. If used on an enemy, it will instead put a debuff on the target. Whenever you Holy Shock, all targets with Glimmer of Light are healed or damaged. You can only have Glimmer of Light on up to 8 targets.
- Beacon of Faith is an active ability with no cooldown. It allows you to place a second Beacon of Light on a different target. The second Beacon target will receive the same healing as the first one, but both beacons have 30% reduced efficiency (when compared to not using this talent).
- Beacon of Virtue replaces Beacon of Light. It has a 15-second cooldown, and it lasts 8 seconds. It allows you to place a Beacon of Light on the target, which also affects 3 injured allies within 30 yards. All 4 targets are healed for 40% of all healing you do for the 8-second duration. Your Flash of Light and Holy Light casts on these targets will refund 25% of their Mana cost.
PvP Talents (War Mode)
In Battle for Azeroth, there will be the option to enable "War Mode". Enabling War Mode grants the following benefits:
- PvP talents are enabled in the outdoor world.
- 10% increase in World Quest rewards at max level.
- 10% more experience gained while leveling.
- Earn Conquest Points which can reward gear every week.
With the benefits of enabling War Mode for leveling and PvE content, it is recommended to enable the feature to maximize your leveling and rewards at max level. However, doing so will enable PvP combat, and the possibility of being attacked by members of the opposite faction while leveling or doing World Quests exists.
General PvP Talents
- Adaptation automatically removes loss of control effects longer than 5 seconds.
- Relentless reduces the duration of crowd control effects by 20%, rather than removing them.
- Gladiator's Medallion is an ability that removes all movement impairing and all loss of control effects when used.
We recommend Adaptation for levelling and questing with War Mode active since it will trigger automatically when you are in a long crowd control.
Holy Paladin PvP Talents
While the talents below might not be the best for purely open world PvP combat, we believe them to be a solid compromise for both PvE and PvP combat in a small group if you have War Mode enabled.
- Light's Grace provides an incredibly powerful boost to your Holy Light as well as a damage reduction.
- Avenging Light will increase your damage while you heal yourself or your group.
- Divine Favor gives you a large emergency heal on a relatively short cooldown.
- 13 Mar. 2021: Changed general-use recommendation of Holy Avenger to Divine Purpose.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 07 Jan. 2021: Updated talent recommendations to reflect changes in meta.
- 06 Dec. 2020: Talent recommendations changed slightly.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Talent recommendations updated for Shadowlands.
- 29 Oct. 2020: Updated talent recommendations.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Amazing Animation and Effects in "Judgement" Animated Short
- Vicious War Gorm Mounts in Shadowlands Season 2
- A Summary of All Patch 9.1 Build 38872 Class Changes
- A List of All Burning Crusade and Patch 9.0.5 Hotfixes (June 1-8)
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 7th
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 13: Arcane Mages Dominate, Frost Rises as Well
- Impressive Arthas and Teldrassil Faction Animated Wallpapers
- Shaman Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38872