Holy Paladin Healing Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Holy Paladin in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Holy Paladin gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Holy Paladin
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Holy Paladin, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
Gearing in Shadowlands
Once you reach max level in Shadowlands, you will have a variety of different ways you can go about acquiring gear to increase your character's power. World quests and Covenant quests will both provide you with decent starting gear once you reach max level.
After that, you will want to start trying to run Normal, Heroic, and even Mythic dungeons for the gear they offer. Once you are geared enough, you can begin running Mythic+ and Castle Nathria for the highest item level gear.
Many wonderful resources are available to Holy Paladin that will allow you to quickly and easily simulate your character to find the best combinations of gear, what item to pick from your weekly Great Vault, and even what type of content you can do to get the biggest gear upgrades. Please visit our simulations page below to find links to these resources.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. In most cases, equipping a lower item level piece because it has better secondary stats will result in a very minor change in output. Because of this, it is not always worth to pick lower item level gear. If you would like a more in-depth look at our stats, please look at our dedicated page for it.
Best Domination Sockets for Holy Paladin
In Patch 9.1, Domination Shards and Sockets were added to the game. These are new types of gems that give powerful effects when wearing them in. their special sockets. Any Helm, Shoulder, Chest, Bracer, or Glove that drops from Sanctum of Domination will have this type of socket for a max total of 5. You will want to avoid crafting a Legendary in any slot that has a Domination Socket to give yourself the most benefit.
Your best in slot setup will look something like this:
- Shard of Zed as one of your three Unholy Shards.
- Shard of Dyz as one of your three Unholy Shards.
- Shard of Oth as one of your three Unholy Shards.
- Shard of Kyr as one of your extra Shards.
- Shard of Tel as one of your extra Shards.
By wearing three Unholy Shards, you gain the set bonus Chaos Bane. This is by far the strongest set bonus available to us and you will want to obtain this as quick as possible. Shard of Kyr and Shard of Tel are the best choices for your extra Domination Shards as they provide the next largest healing increase.
It is important to note that in order to obtain the set bonuses, you will need a specific Domination Socket gear piece. For example, even with three Unholy Shards, you will need a Domination Socket helm in order to gain the bonus. If you had three Frost Shards in your gear, you would need a Domination Socket Shoulder piece.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
Trinkets for Holy Paladins
Your best trinket will depend primarily on the item levels of what you are deciding between. Regardless, below you can find the very best trinkets available to Holy Paladin. You will want to aim to get at least 2 of these.
- Sinful Aspirant's Insignia of Alacrity (PvP vendor)
- Sinful Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity (PvP vendor)
- Cabalist's Hymnal (Sire Denathrius in Castle Nathria)
- Unbound Changeling (Ingra Maloch in Mists of Tirna Scithe)
- Manabound Mirror (Sire Denathrius in Castle Nathria)
- Soulletting Ruby (Kul'tharok in Theater of Pain)
- Tuft of Smoldering Plumage (Sun King's Salvation in Castle Nathria)
- Vial of Spectral Essence (An Affront of Challengers in Theater of Pain)
- Darkmoon Deck: Repose (Inscription or Auction House)
- Inscrutable Quantum Device (Dealer Xy'exa in De Other Side)
- Macabre Sheet Music (Council of Blood in Castle Nathria)
- Consumptive Infusion (Hungering Destroyer in Castle Nathria)
- Boon of the Archon (Devos in Spires of Ascension)
- Lingering Sunmote (Grand Proctor Beryllia in Sanguine Depths)
- Overflowing Anima Cage (Executor Tarvold in Sanguine Depths)
- Sunblood Amethyst (High Adjudicator Aleez in Halls of Atonement)
In Shadowlands, Legendaries are back and will allow us to replace one of our items with a piece that provides a powerful bonus. If you are interested in learning more about the Legendaries available to Holy Paladin, as well as the Legendary system in general, please view our dedicated pages for it below:
Best PvP (BiS) Gear for Holy Paladins in Shadowlands
PvP gear has been revamped in Shadowlands: you buy it from the PvP vendor in Oribos and it will always have Versatility as one of its two stats. You can buy blue quality gear from one of the vendors for Honor. The higher item level gear is bought with Conquest which will take longer to acquire, but obviously has the added benefit of providing better gear. Once you purchase a piece of gear with Conquest, you can use Honor to then upgrade it to a maximum item level that depends on your PvP rating.
Whether or not PvP is your preferred form of content, it is one of the best ways to gear your character and improve your item level. While not every piece of PvP gear will have your desired stats, it is very easy to target weak gear slots and replace them with the PvP gear. This will help remove some of the RNG of trying to get a higher item level piece in a specific slot since you can just purchase a PvP item in that slot.
Best in Slot List for Holy Paladins (Dungeon Gear Only)
Recommended below are the best dungeon items in Shadowlands. Keep in mind that item level will generally be better than any minor stat differences. You can also mix and match pieces of this list with that of the raid list from the next section of the guide.
With the reintroduction of Valor in Patch 9.0.5, you are able to upgrade items obtained through Mythic+ dungeons. In general, you will want to upgrade trinkets first as every other slot can be obtained in other forms of content such as raiding or PvP. Given that you can only get high item level trinkets from your weekly chest or through upgrading, you will want to focus your efforts there. For example, if you do not have a high item level Unbound Changeling, you could choose to upgrade this item first from the valor vendor.
|Helm||Wrathbark Greathelm||Ingra Maloch in Mists of Tirna Scithe|
|Neck||Sin Stained Pendant||Halkias in Halls of Atonement|
|Shoulders||Unyielding Combatant's Pauldrons||Mordretha in Theater of Pain|
|Cloak||Drape of Twisted Loyalties||Devos in Spires of Ascension|
|Chest||Breastplate of Otherworldly Influence||High Adjudicator Aleez in Halls of Atonement|
|Wrists||Vambraces of the Depraved Warden||Executor Tarvold in Sanguine Depths|
|Gloves||Distorted Construct's Gauntlets||Ventunax in Spires of Ascension|
|Belt||Girdle of the Soulflayer||Hakkar in De Other Side|
|Legs||Halkias's Towering Pillars||Halkias in Halls of Atonement|
|Boots||Muckwallow Stompers||Margrave Stradama in Plaguefall|
|Ring #1||Death God's Signet||Mueh'Zala in De Other Side|
|Ring #2||Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet||Blightbone in The Necrotic Wake|
|Weapon||Amarth's Spellblade||Amarth in The Necrotic Wake|
|Shield||Barricade of the Endless Empire||Mordretha in Theater of Pain|
Best in Slot List for Holy Paladins in Castle Nathria
Below are the recommended Castle Nathria items. Do not forget that higher item levels of different pieces will generally be better. You can also mix and match this gear from that of the previous section.
Castle Nathria has a new way of handling weapons compared to that of previous raids. Instead of getting weapons and offhands, you get tokens that you can turn into your Covenant hall for a weapon. The final two bosses of Castle Nathria drop higher item levels weapons that you will want to try to get. Stone Legion Generals will drop your shield ( Apogee Anima Bead) and Sire Denathrius will drop your weapon ( Venerated Anima Spherule).
Please note the name of the recommended BiS weapon/shield will change depending on your Covenant choice but the stats remain the same regardless of Covenant.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 21 Mar. 2021: Adjusted trinket tier list.
- 13 Mar. 2021: Updated formatting; added trinket tier list and mention of simming gear.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added mention of Valor.
- 15 Jan. 2021: Updated BiS gear options from dungeons and raids.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands gearing recommendations.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power