Survival Hunter PvP Talents and Builds (Dragonflight / Patch 10.0.5)
Choosing the right PvP and PvE talents is a prerequisite to proper performance in PvP. This guide goes through the various talent choices available to you as a Survival Hunter and gives you the best combinations you can take.
This page is part of our Survival Hunter PvP Guide.
Talent Choices for Survival Hunters
PvP Talents for Survival Hunters
You can choose 3 of the following PvP talents. Each of them has their uses, but some are better for certain strategies than others. The top three choices are the most useful, but can be replaced with other PvP talents, depending on your team's goal.
Primary PvP Talents for Survival Hunters
Roar of Sacrifice instructs your pet to protect a friendly target from critical strikes, making attacks against that target unable to be critical strikes, but 20% of all damage taken by that target is also taken by the pet. It lasts 12 seconds and this is a powerful defensive cooldown that is helpful for you and your teammates. With a cooldown of only 1 minute, this is an ability that your healer can call-out to use if they are stuck in crowd control. This is a mandatory PvP talent.
Situational PvP Talents for Survival Hunters
Survival Tactics causes Feign Death to remove all harmful magical effects, and reduces damage taken by 99% for 1.5 seconds. This is a mandatory talent when playing against classes with multiple DoTs (Affliction Warlock, Shadow Priest, Balance Druid). This reduces the enemies' overall damage and helps your healer with dispelling harmful effects. You can also use this to stop incoming spells that are being cast on you. This is a mandatory talent when playing against a DoT class.
Chimaeral Sting does offer an interesting range of effects. When used, this will apply a slow, then a silence, then a damage/healing reduction on your target. This could be used if your team wants to focus a healer or caster for most of the game. Use this during your burst rotation.
Mending Bandage instantly clears all bleeds, poisons, and diseases from your target, and heals for 30% damage over 6 seconds. Being attacked will stop you from using Mending Bandage. You should consider this PvP talent when playing against specializations like Feral Druids or Assassination Rogues, or if you are against another Venthyr Hunter as you can clear Flayed Shot using this ability.
Never ever take Sticky Tar, as it is bugged and can lead to DPS increases for the enemy team.
Pets do not have talent trees, and instead have their own types of specialization (Cunning, Ferocity, or Tenacity).
Each specialization gives your pet a few abilities. Cunning provides the ability Master's Call, by far the best pet ability to have. To get the Mortal Wounds debuff from your pets, you will need one of the following pets:
You can also use a Ferocity pet which grants 10% Leech if you are not comfortable using Master's Call, though we highly recommend it:
- Carrion Bird
- 30 Jan. 2023: Updated the recommended talent build.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 29 Jul. 2022: Reviewed and updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Updated the recommended talents.
- 10 Nov. 2021: Updated Tier 6 Regular Talent.
- Updated PvP Talents.
- 03 Jul. 2021: Updated PvP Talents.
- 30 Mar. 2021: No updates needed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 16 Oct. 2020: Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tiers 3 and 4 Regular Talents.
- Updated PvP Talents.
- 09 Sep. 2020: Updated Pet Talents.
- 20 Feb. 2020: Updated PvP Talents.
- 28 Jan. 2020: Page added.
- Everything You Need to Know About Forbidden Reach Catch-Up Gear in Patch 10.0.7
- Dracthyr Racial Mounts Available for Everyone to Purchase in Patch 10.0.7
- Turbulent Timeways Timewalking Event Starts March 29th
- Save 30% on Select Game Services Through April 3rd
- Dragonflight DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates, Week 14
- The Forbidden Reach Dragon Glyphs Guide (Exact Locations with TomTom Coords)
- The Most Popular Specializations for Mythic+ in Dragonflight Season 1 (Week 14)
- Bakar Dog Mounts in Patch 10.0.7 Still Remain Shrouded in Mystery