Survival Hunter DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Survival Hunter in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Hunter gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Survival Hunter
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Survival Hunter, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
For more detailed information on Stat Priority, please visit our Stats page.
For more detailed information on Gems and Enchants, please visit our Gems and Enchants page.
We also have a page dedicated to simulations for different aspects of your character. These can be found on our Simulationspage.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Survival Hunter
At this stage in the game, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Azerite traits, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
Corruptions and Corrupted Items
For more information about the best Corruptions and corrupted items you can get, please refer to our dedicated page.
Mechagon offers two unique types of gear. The first is the Pocket-Sized Computation Device Trinket, which has 3 sockets that can be filled with punchcards. Yellow Punchcards offer stats, Red Punchcards offer damaging effects, and Blue Punchcards offer unique utility.
The whole Trinket's item level scales with the item level of the punchcards in it, as an average of the Red and Yellow punchcards. The item level of the trinket affects the power of the punchcards in it.
Yellow Punchcards can be looted from Rares in Mechagon, or from bosses inside the Operation: Mechagon dungeon. They offer a large amount of one secondary stat, and a small amount of another. The best Yellow Punchcard for Survival Hunters is any high Haste punchcard, with a high item level.
There are two noteworthy Red Punchcards: Cyclotronic Blast and Subroutine: Recalibration, the former being more interesting at lower gear levels and the latter being more interesting at higher gear levels.
The other type of gear are the set rings from Operation: Mechagon. By combining a "Logic Loop" ring like Logic Loop of Division with a "Bit Band" ring like Shorting Bit Band, you can combine the two effects to create a unique effect with a unique trigger. The Division and Shorting combo is the most potent for Hunters.
Weekly Mythic+ Chest
You should be completing at least one keystone at a high item level each week to make use of the weekly chest. Each week you will receive one piece of loot, and a fixed amount of Titan Residuum. The highest keystone you complete (up to a maximum of 15) will determine the final reward.
|Mythic+ Level||Loot iLvl - End of Dungeon||Loot iLvl - Weekly Chest||# of Loot - End of Dungeon||Titan Residuum in Weekly Chest|
|Mythic+16||465||475||3 (40% chance of 4th piece)||2240|
|Mythic+17||465||475||3 (80% chance of 4th piece)||2330|
|Mythic+18||465||475||4 (20% chance of 5th piece)||2420|
Thanks to Bloodmallet.com, a comprehensive list of available trinkets for Survvial are listed against each other below. Keep in mind that this is only a guideline, and that you should be simming your own character if you care about optimizing it.
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is nearly always better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
This does not include trinkets as they are covered in the above chart.
This list is based on Birds of Prey, as it is more popular for raiding.
Note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls!
- 12 Feb. 2020: Updated the best Essences and added a paragraph about the highest Corruption you should be using.
- 27 Jan. 2020: BiS List and Corruption Notes.
- Updated the notes and recommendations of Corruptions to reflect recent nerfs and balance changes.
- Updated the BiS list for Ny'alotha.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Several Corruption-related updates.
- Clarified the rankings, adding specific notes about some of the best Corruptions.
- Added information about Corruption Weapons.
- 13 Jan. 2020: This page will be updated with more specific information as simulation tools improve in Patch 8.3.
- 25 Oct. 2019: Reworded the text about the Shiver Venom Lance. Updated the trait choices on the BiS Blur of Talons Azerite pieces.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Updated the Best in Slot List, the list of the best Azerite pieces, and added information about unique Mechagon and Operation: Mechagon items.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Added Vim's Scalecrusher Chain to the Benthic Gear List.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 01 May 2019: Added a number of new sections to the page, aimed mostly at newer players.
- 15 Apr. 2019: Updated the Raid-based Best-in-Slot list for Crucible of Storms.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Added a Recommended Gear List for Battle for Dazar'alor, and an introduction to the Raidbots Droptimizer feature.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 07 Sep. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include the recent SimCraft changes to RPPM.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include buff to the Tiny Electromental in a Jar.
- 24 Aug. 2018: Updated the trinket simulation to include various World Quest trinkets.
- 23 Aug. 2018: Added a link to the origin spreadsheet for the simulation chart.
- 21 Aug. 2018: Updated Trinket simulations.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Gear and Trinket list updates.
- Updated the trinket simulation.
- Changed the BiS list to a more generally useful list of good dungeons to farm, as this will be relevant throughout the entire expansion.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 20 Jul. 2018: Made a few updates.
- Updated Celerity of the Windrunners' Haste level from 2% to 3%.
- Added Butcher's Bone Apron to the Legendary ranking.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Made several updates.
- Added a tier-piece alternative to the off-piece Best in Slot helm, if you are using both top Legendaries.
- Fixed Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish's position in the Legendary rankings, so that it no longer appears twice under the multi-target list.
- Updated the 2nd BiS trinket from the Shadow-Singed Fang to Gorshalach's Legacy.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated Golganneth's Vitality to just be an Argus Personal Loot drop. Revised Legendary ranking and added Soul of the Huntmaster and Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish to it.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Added Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish to the bottom of the single-target legendary ranking.
- Big PvP Updates Coming to Shadowlands Beta
- Average Player Leveling in the Pre-patch and Shadowlands Will Take 8-10 Hours
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854: Class Changes Recap
- Player Solos All Alliance Faction Leaders
- Shadowlands Mythic Season 1 End-of-Run Rewards Capped Below Castle Nathria Heroic Item Level
- Shaman Class Changes in Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854
- Engineer's Workshop: The WoW Companion App and Multi-Expansion Support
- Fan-Made Shadowlands Login Screen