Fire Mage DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we explain how to easily play Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Fire Mage
Fire is a well rounded specialization that largely relies on planning windows of burst in advance. Generally speaking, it is not very keybind taxing, though the amount of actions executed in short succession can easily overwhelm less seasoned players. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
Talent Choice for Fire Mage
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Searing Touch
- Level 30: Shimmer
- Level 45: Incanter's Flow
- Level 60: Flame On
- Level 75: Frenetic Speed
- Level 90: Conflagration or Living Bomb on huge groups of enemies
- Level 100: Meteor
Gearing a Fire Mage
Azerite Traits Choice for a Fire Mage
There are multiple good Azerite Traits you can go for as a Fire Mage. Below we have listed some of the top choices.
Azerite Essence Choices for a Fire Mage
Below, we have listed the optimal essence choice for most situations:
- Major: Memory of Lucid Dreams
- Minor 1: Breath of the Dying
- Minor 2: Worldvein Resonance
- Minor 3: Essence of the Focusing Iris
Stat Choice for Fire Mage
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for single-target:
- Critical Strike;
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for multiple targets:
- Mastery; (by far)
- Critical Strike
We recommend you prioritize item levels over specific stats, as they are all close in value.
If you want more information about how to properly gear yourself we highly recommend you read the gear page.
Basic Rotation for Fire Mage
Below we have outlined a basic priority list for Fire Mages.
- Use Memory of Lucid Dreams when available, right before activating Combustion.
- Use Combustion when available. When Combustion is close to being ready, save your Fire Blasts so you can alternate between Pyroblast and Fire Blast for most of Combustion.
- Cast Pyroblast when you have Hot Streak. Cast Flamestrike instead if there are 5+ targets stacked.
- Use Living Bomb if there are 3+ targets present.
- Cast Fireball as a filler to generate Heating Up. When the enemy reaches 30% Health or lower, replace Fireball with Scorch (because of Searing Touch).
- Use Fire Blast to get Hot Streaks when you have Heating Up.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Updated to different essences after essence buffs/nerfs, and add 8.3 essences. Updated rotation accordingly for the new essences.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Added Essence and trait recommendations. Expanded stats to include both single-target and multiple targets.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 19 Aug. 2018: Updated for expected stats for a pre-raid character.
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 2nd
- Optional Crafting Reagents Update: June 2nd
- World First Mythic +28 Tol'Dagor Cleared in Time
- Dredwing Mounts in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through June 5th
- Specific Vendor Corruptions Prediction Theories
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 1st
- Fist of Justice / Ineffable Truth Hotfix Cancelled