Fire Mage DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands Pre-Patch 9.0.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands Pre-Patch 9.0.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Fire Mage
Fire is a well rounded specialization that largely relies on planning windows of burst in advance. Generally speaking, it is not very keybind taxing, though the amount of actions executed in short succession can easily overwhelm less seasoned players. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
If you are completely new to Fire and need more information on the abilities available to you, you can check out our Spell Summary page.
Talent Choice for Fire Mage
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Searing Touch
- Level 25: Shimmer
- Level 30: Incanter's Flow
- Level 35: Flame On
- Level 40: Frenetic Speed
- Level 45: Conflagration or Living Bomb on huge groups of enemies
- Level 50: Meteor
If you are looking for the absolute best talents for Fire, which do not compromise on performance for ease of use, you can find a more in-depth analysis on our full talents page below.
Gearing a Fire Mage
Azerite Traits Choice for a Fire Mage
There are multiple good Azerite Traits you can go for as a Fire Mage. Below we have listed some of the top choices.
Considering the big impact Azerite Traits have on your damage, and how some traits are good in specific situations, we strongly recommend reading the full Azerite page below to learn more on what traits to use when.
Azerite Essence Choices for a Fire Mage
Below, we have listed the optimal essence choice for most situations:
- Major: Memory of Lucid Dreams
- Minor 1: Breath of the Dying
- Minor 2: Conflict and Strife
- Minor 3: Essence of the Focusing Iris
A lot of essences can be better or worse depending on situation, and the above recommended essences should perform well in most situations. However, if you are interested in learning about the optimal essence for each situation, we suggest reading the page below.
Stat Choice for Fire Mage
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for single-target:
- Critical Strike;
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for multiple targets:
- Mastery; (by far)
- Critical Strike
We recommend you prioritize item levels over specific stats, as they are all close in value.
While the stat priority for classes is normally the same for both the Easy Mode page and our full guide, subtle differences can still occur. If you want to see the full explanation of the stat priority, as well as the absolute top choices for the priority, head to our full stats page below.
If you are interested in finding out about the specific best in slot items from the current tier, or want more information on how to gear, we suggest reading the full gearing page below.
Basic Rotation for Fire Mage
Below we have outlined a basic priority list for Fire Mages.
- Use Memory of Lucid Dreams when available, right before activating Combustion.
- Use Combustion when available. When Combustion is close to being ready, save your Fire Blasts so you can alternate between Pyroblast and Fire Blast for most of Combustion.
- During Combustion, use Fire Blasts to convert Heating Up to Hot Streak until you are out of Fire Blasts, after which you should use Phoenix Flames to convert Heating Up to Hot Streak.
- Cast Pyroblast when you have Hot Streak. Cast Flamestrike instead if there are 5+ targets stacked.
- Use Living Bomb if there are 3+ targets present.
- Cast Fireball as a filler to generate Heating Up. When the enemy reaches 30% Health or lower, replace Fireball with Scorch (because of Searing Touch).
- Use Fire Blast to get Hot Streaks when you have Heating Up.
The above rotation should get you started on your Fire Mage. However, there are many optimisations you can make in your rotation, which can be found in the full detailed rotation guide.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- How to Quickly Reach Exalted with Gelkis and Magram Centaur Clans Under 1 Hour
- More Scourge Zombies Showing Up, But It's Still Not the Pre-patch Event
- Pure Class: Level 50 Without Choosing a Spec Gets Pretty Hard
- Patch 9.0.1 Hotfixes: October 22nd
- The Madness Begins Anew: Exile's Reach Speedruns
- Addon Spotlight: Better Wardrobe and Transmog
- Most Popular Classes and Specs for Mythic+ in the Shadowlands Pre-Patch
- Ghostcrawler Talks WoW After 6 Years: Leveling, His Ret Pala, AoE and More