Fire Mage DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Fire Mage
Fire is a well rounded specialization that largely relies on planning windows of burst in advance. Generally speaking, it is not very keybind taxing, though the amount of actions executed in short succession can easily overwhelm less seasoned players. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
If you are completely new to Fire and need more information on the abilities available to you, you can check out our Spell Summary page.
Covenant Choice for Fire Mage
The best Covenant for all PvE content is Night Fae. All Soulbinds are very close in strength, so you can largely pick the Soulbind you prefer based on utility. With maxed out Renown, Dreamweaver is the highest DPS Soulbind, by going this tree.
Conduit Choice for Fire Mage
Best Single Target Potency Conduits for Fire Mage
- Infernal Cascade
- Controlled Destruction
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only)
- Flame Accretion
- Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Fire Mage
- Infernal Cascade
- Master Flame
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
- Controlled Destruction
- Flame Accretion
For more info regarding what Soulbind and Conduits to pick for what situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Talent Choice for Fire Mage
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Searing Touch
- Level 25: Shimmer
- Level 30: Incanter's Flow
- Level 35: Flame On
- Level 40: Frenetic Speed
- Level 45: Conflagration for single-target or Flame Patch for AoE
- Level 50: Kindling
If you are looking for the absolute best talents for Fire, which do not compromise on performance for ease of use, you can find a more in-depth analysis on our full talents page below.
Gearing a Fire Mage
Stat Choice for Fire Mage
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for both single-target and AoE:
- Critical Strike.
We recommend you prioritize item levels over specific stats, as they are all close in value.
While the stat priority for classes is normally the same for both the Easy Mode page and our full guide, subtle differences can still occur. If you want to see the full explanation of the stat priority, as well as the absolute top choices for the priority, head to our full stats page below.
Legendary Choice for Fire Mage
Disciplinary Command is the strongest Legendary for all PvE situations, in terms of DPS. However, it requires changing your rotation, which is why we suggest Fevered Incantation for an easier playstyle. This only gives up about 2-3% DPS over perfect execution with Disciplinary Command. If you are interested in bridging this 2-3% gap, or are looking for an in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for any situation and how to obtain them, we strongly suggest reading the Legendary page below for more information on how to play with Disciplinary Command.
If you are interested in finding out about the specific best in slot items from the current tier, or want more information on how to gear, we suggest reading the full gearing page below.
Basic Rotation for Fire Mage
Below we have outlined a basic priority list for Fire Mages.
- Cast Shifting Power when you have no Fire Blast stacks remaining.
- Use Combustion when available.
- During Combustion, use Fire Blasts to convert Heating Up to Hot Streak until you are out of Fire Blasts, after which you should use Phoenix Flames to convert Heating Up to Hot Streak.
- Cast Pyroblast when you have Hot Streak. Cast Flamestrike instead if there are 3+ targets stacked.
- Cast Fireball as a filler to generate Heating Up. When the enemy reaches 30% Health or lower, replace Fireball with Scorch (because of Searing Touch).
- Use Fire Blast to get Hot Streaks when you have Heating Up.
The above rotation should get you started on your Fire Mage. However, there are many optimisations you can make in your rotation, which can be found in the full detailed rotation guide.
- 03 Jul. 2021: Updated stats to match standard stats page.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Disciplinary Command as BiS Legendary after the 9.0.5 buffs.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated page for Fevered Incantation bugfix (buff), causing it to become BiS.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands launch. Removed references to Azerite and Essences, added Covenant, Soulbind and Legendary sections. Updated rotation, talents & stats sections for the new optimal choices for Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power