Protection Paladin Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Paladin in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Protection Paladin gear and best in slot.
Best in Slot List for Protection Paladins
We do not currently provide a Best in Slot list. You should aim to prioritize item level above everything else, as anything 10 item levels or more is virtually guaranteed to be an upgrade.
If you have a choice on the same item level, the alternative will likely, in generic circumstances, not make a difference defensively. As such, we recommend just simming the choice and going with whatever helps you do more damage.
There are some exceptions to this rule and encounter-specific situations where a stat is massively devalued. You should keep an eye on the raid encounter guides to be aware of this. Similarly, certain Mythic+ key levels and dungeons will require a slightly different gearing path. We linked the related guides below, but generally, we will also add a note on here as well:
Dungeon Gear Recommendations for Protection Paladin
Below is a guideline of items to seek and the Dungeons they drop from:
Sanctum of Domination Recommendations for Protection Paladin
Below is a guideline of items to seek and the Bosses in Sanctum of Domination they drop from:
Domination Sockets in Sanctum of Domination Raid Gear
You may have noticed that some items from Sanctum of Domination have Domination Sockets on them. This is a new system that has been introduced for Patch 9.1; when you use 3 Domination Gems you will gain a powerful effect which will only work in the Sanctum of Domination Raid, The Maw, and Torghast.
Based on the available data at present we would advise that you use the following Gems which will provide you with the Unholy bonus Chaos Bane.
- Unholy Shard of Dyz — This will give you a small damage boost to your target for 4 seconds which stacks (and refreshes) up to 3 times. You will have a near-permanent uptime on this effect.
- Unholy Shard of Zed — Your spells will have a chance to trigger an Unholy Aura which will drain small amount of Health from nearby enemies.
- Unholy Shard of Oth — A small speed increase.
- Blood Shard of Bek — This increases your damage done to a target when you have 50% or more health than them. For example, If you are at 90% Health, they will need to be at 40% Health or lower for this to trigger.
- Shards of Domination Frost Shard of Cor — This will give you a small damage boost to a new target for 20 seconds.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
PvP Gear Recommendations for Protection Paladin
It is important to know that the items available from PvP are some of the best items available for Protection Paladins in game.
Notably, you are able to obtain end of Heroic-quality items (item level 246) at 2100 Rating.
All of these items have Versatility on them.
If you are wanting to obtain PvP gear, we would advise doing Rated Battlegrounds as either Protection or Retribution.
Trinket Recommendations for Protection Paladin
Splintered Heart of Al'ar from Sun King's Salvation in Castle Nathria is a good trinket to pick up for progression raiding and key pushing as it will provide you with a relatively good cheat death. If you do not need the cheat death and you know it, this trinket will be a strict throughput loss.
Blood-Spattered Scale is the main trinket you will be after and drops from De Other Side. It is a good defensive trinket and also has a good damaging component behind it too. It scales very well with item level, too.
Reactive Defense Matrix can provide a good amount of damage in a multi-target scenario, such as Mythic+. However, on single-target encounters it may not be a worthwhile choice if you have other options available.
Unchained Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity from PvP is a very potent on-use trinket. The 1-minute cooldown on this trinket means that it will be available on each cast of Avenging Wrath if you are using the Righteous Protector talent. It also be available for every cast of Divine Toll for Kyrian Paladins.
Unchained Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity from PvP is a very strong, simple trinket. It gives you a large chunk of Haste and when it procs you gain Strength. The uptime of the buff is in the ~40-50% region making it a good trinket choice.
Generally you will not be using two defensive trinket choices at all times. When this is the case your other trinket slot will generally be whatever you have that has a benefit that you are needing whether this be more DPS, stats, or utility.
Valor Upgrade Recommendations for Protection Paladin
Phial of Putrefaction. This is a very strong damaging trinket and as you will typically not be using two defensive trinkets at a time this is a very good choice for your 2nd trinket slot.
Acidslough Bulwark. If you do not have a Shield from the raid, then upgrading this will be valuable. If you are in a scenario where you want to upgrade either your Weapon or Shield, upgrade your Shield first as this will be a larger upgrade for your character.
Engorged Worm Smasher. If you do not have a Weapon from the raid, then upgrading this will be valuable.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor recommendations. Added and updated trinket recommendations. Added PvP gearing section.
- 22 Dec. 2020: Added Castle Nathria loot. Fixed incorrect dungeon link.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Added an additional helmet choice.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Removed BfA information. Added Shadowlands Dungeon Gear.
- 13 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power