Protection Paladin Tank Mythic+ Tips — Dragonflight 10.2
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Protection Paladin in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
Mythic+ Guide for Protection Paladins
Protection Paladins are very strong in Mythic+ due to their self-and group healing, dispels, utility, and with their ability to lock down caster mobs with Avenger's Shield. While we are lacking the ability to force move enemies around, we make up for it in utility.
If you want to learn more about Mythic+ during Dragonflight in general or Protection Paladin's place in the overall rankings, see our overviews below.
Protection Paladin Utility
- Avenger's Shield is one of our strongest abilities in our toolkit for Mythic+. Not only does it interrupt, it will also silence enemies that can be silenced for 3 seconds. This allows you to almost fully lock down any caster by yourself, especially if they can be stunned by Hammer of Justice as well, and let the rest of the group deal with another caster.
- Turn Evil allows you to kill undead enemies when they are below 30% Health.
- Cleanse Toxins has value in every dungeon apart from Neltharus and is valuable to deal with the Afflicted affix.
- Hammer of Justice is a long single-target stun that can be used often with the Fist of Justice talent. This can be used to make enemies nonthreatening for a couple of seconds or prevent them from moving if they may want to. It is also valuable to deal with mobs that spawn from the Incorporeal affix.
- Unbound Freedom will help with negating slows/roots on your party , but, more importantly, also apply Blessing of Freedom to yourself when cast on others. This is very valuable for the Entangling affix.
- Blessing of Protection/ Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice are amazing tools in dungeons to help your group survive both dangerous affixes as well as abilities.
- Word of Glory and Lay on Hands are not only self-heal abilities, but can be used on group members to great effect as well to help the healer. It can also be used to heal the mobs that spawn from the Afflicted affix.
For more information about Protection Paladin abilities and how to use them, please refer to our rotation and cooldown page:
Trinkets and Gearing for Protection Paladin in Mythic+
Trinkets specifically for Mythic+ are primarily dictated by the key level you are engaging with. If it is a key level that does not punish you and you can survive with your and your group's basic toolkits, then offensive trinkets are the go-to here. If you require additional tools, then trinkets are the answer!
For an in-depth analysis of the best gear for the right situations, check out our Gear page below.
Talents for Mythic+ Dungeons
Some dungeons may require a different set of talents, but in general, you should start with the following talents and only make changes if you know that you will need a different talent for a specific reason in a dungeon. For a breakdown of all relevant talents, please refer to our Protection Paladin talents page.
Remember that you can easily import the talent tree below into the game with either of the two "Copy Export String" buttons:
For general information about affixes, see our linked general Mythic+ guide. Otherwise, below, we will mention some of the affixes where a Paladin's utility can really help out.
Tier Two Affixes
These affixes now begin at keystone level 7 (was 4)
- Afflicted spawns a mob that needs to be helped. You can remove debuffs on it with Cleanse Toxins or heal it with Word of Glory.
- Entangling will apply snares to players in the group. This can be broken with Blessing of Freedom. If you have Unbound Freedom talented, you can cast Blessing of Freedom on a party member, and it will also be applied to yourself!
- Incorporeal will spawn creatures that need to be crowd-controlled. You can crowd-control it with Hammer of Justice , Repentance or Turn Evil. You can also interrupt it with Avenger's Shield or Rebuke. This creature cannot be crowd-controlled with Blinding Light.
Tier Three Affixes
These affixes now begin at keystone level 14 (was 10)
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when an enemy dies. This pool will heal enemies who stay inside the zone while damaging players. It can be wise to un-talent Consecrated Ground to easier move mobs out of Sanguine pools.
- Bursting causes enemies to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their maximum health in damage every four seconds. When handling the Bursting affix, make sure to help the rest of the group with Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice if you end up killing off a lot of enemies quickly after each other, and consider using Divine Shield for yourself. You can also spec into Hand of the Protector should more effective off-healing be needed.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Season 3.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated talent tree for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Updated talent tree for Patch 10.1 and affix information for Season 2.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated talent builds for Patch 10.0.7. Added Turn Evil usage.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Warrior Players Unhappy with the Lack of Choice in Odyn Questline
- World First Season of Discovery Blackfathom Deeps Raid Clear
- Season of Discovery Initial Tuning
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, December 1st
- Huge 10.2 Class Tuning: December 5th
- Void.gg's Hosting a $10K Solo Shuffle Tournament: Dec 2-3
- Sky-Captain's Masquerade Attire Set
- Living Flame (EU) Lone Wolf (EU) and Crusader Strike (US) Reams Temporarily Locked to New Players