Protection Paladin Tank Mythic+ Tips — Dragonflight 10.0.7
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Protection Paladin in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.0.7.
Mythic+ Guide for Protection Paladins
Protection Paladins are very strong in Mythic+ due to their self-and group healing, dispels, utility, and with their ability to lock down caster mobs with Avenger's Shield. While we are lacking the ability to force move enemies around, we make up for it in utility.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Protection Paladin Utility
- Avenger's Shield is one of our strongest abilities in our toolkit for Mythic+. Not only does it interrupt, it will also silence enemies that can be silenced for 3 seconds. This allows you to almost fully lock down any caster by yourself, especially if they can be stunned by Hammer of Justice as well, and let the rest of the group deal with another caster.
- Turn Evil allows you to kill undead enemies when they are below 30% Health.
- Hammer of Justice is a long single target stun that can be used often with the Fist of Justice talent. This can be used to make enemies non threatening for a couple of seconds or prevent them from moving if they may want to.
- Consecrated Ground is a very important tool to allow you to kite enemies, it easily has a 100% uptime and the cooldown of Consecration is so short that you can easily drop another Consecration down once they exit the first one.
- Blessing of Protection/ Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice are amazing tools in dungeons to help your group survive both dangerous affixes as well as abilities.
- Word of Glory and Lay on Hands are not only self-heal abilities, but can be used on group members to great effect as well to help the healer.
For more information about Protection Paladin abilities and how to use them, please refer to our rotation and cooldown page:
Trinkets and Gearing for Protection Paladin in Mythic+
Trinkets specifically for Mythic+ are primarily dictated by the key level you are engaging with. If its a key level that does not punish you and you can survive with your and your groups basic toolkits then offensive trinkets are the go-to here. If you require additional tools then trinkets are the answer!
For an in-depth analysis of the best gear for the right situations, check out our Gear page below.
Talents for Mythic+ Dungeons
Some dungeons may require a different set of talents, but in general, you should start with the following talents and only make changes if you know that you will need a different talent for a specific reason in a dungeon. For a breakdown of all relevant talents, please refer to our Protection Paladin talents page.
Remember that you can easily import the talent tree below into the game with either of the two "Copy Export String" buttons:
For general information about affixes, see our linked general Mythic+ guide. Otherwise, below we will mention some of the affixes where a Paladin's utility can really help out.
Tier Two Affixes
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when an enemy dies. This pool will heal enemies who stay inside the zone, while damaging players. It can be wise to un-talent Consecrated Ground to easier move mobs out of Sanguine pools.
- Bursting causes enemies to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their maximum health in damage every four seconds. When handling the Bursting affix, make sure to help the rest of the group with Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice if you end up killing off a lot of enemies quickly after each other, and consider using Divine Shield for yourself. You can also spec into Hand of the Protector should more effective off-healing be needed.
Tier Three Affixes
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking damage over time effect when they fall below 90%. Make sure to help your healer with Word of Glory heals on the group or talent it into Hand of the Protector should stronger off-healing be needed, each cast of Word of Glory will remove 1 stack of Grievous. It is also a good affix to make sure you have Blessing of Protection available to help your healer out, as Grievous is physical and can be removed with Blessing of Protection.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum health in damage to each player caught in the zone and interrupt any casts being finished during the shockwave. Blessing of Protection will make you immune to the interrupt effect as well as the damage. This is a great tool if you have a bad timed Quaking (if, for example, the healer really needs to heal during it).
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not cleavable and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled. Should you be running with Crusader's Judgment you have a great tool against this affix as Judgment deals with the orbs very well. Explosive Orbs can be killed with Avenger's Shield as well, as long as you target the orb when casting.
Dragonflight Season 1: Thundering
Every Mythic+ season of Dragonflight will once again include a unique Seasonal Affix; Dragonflight Mythic+ Season 1's special affix is Thundering.
Throughout the dungeon a thunderstorm will trigger. This creates small lightning impact spots nearby which you should avoid and every player in the party will have a debuff applied to them. This debuff increases your damage and healing done by 30% whilst it is active. This debuff can be removed by running into a player with the opposite debuff.
If this debuff is not removed in 15 seconds you will be stunned and take a large amount of Nature damage.
Since there are five players and only two pairs of debuffs able to be cleared, one player is allowed to keep their remaining debuff (and its increased damage/healing) for the entire time. Because you are a tank, this should rarely, if ever, be you. Instead, focus on clearing your debuff and allowing your strongest DPS to keep theirs.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated talent builds for Patch 10.0.7. Added Turn Evil usage.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Paladin Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- Everything You Need to Know About Forbidden Reach Catch-Up Gear in Patch 10.0.7
- Dracthyr Racial Mounts Available for Everyone to Purchase in Patch 10.0.7
- Turbulent Timeways Timewalking Event Starts March 29th
- Save 30% on Select Game Services Through April 3rd
- Dragonflight DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates, Week 14
- The Forbidden Reach Dragon Glyphs Guide (Exact Locations with TomTom Coords)
- The Most Popular Specializations for Mythic+ in Dragonflight Season 1 (Week 14)
- Bakar Dog Mounts in Patch 10.0.7 Still Remain Shrouded in Mystery