Protection Paladin Tank Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Protection Paladin in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Mythic+ Guide for Protection Paladins
Protection Paladins are very strong in Mythic+ due to their self-and group healing, dispels, utility, and with their ability to lock down caster mobs with Avenger's Shield. While we are lacking the ability to force move enemies around, we make up for it in utility.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Protection Paladin Utility
- Avenger's Shield is one of our strongest abilities in our toolkit for Mythic+. Not only does it interrupt, it will also silence enemies that can be silenced for 3 seconds. This allows you to almost fully lock down any caster by yourself, especially if they can be stunned by Hammer of Justice as well, and let the rest of the group deal with another caster.
- Hammer of Justice is a long single target stun that can be used often with the Fist of Justice talent. This can be used to make enemies non threatening for a couple of seconds or prevent them from moving if they may want to.
- Consecrated Ground is a very important tool to allow you to kite enemies, it easily has a 100% uptime and the cooldown of Consecration is so short that you can easily drop another Consecration down once they exit the first one.
- Blessing of Protection/ Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice are amazing tools in dungeons to help your group survive both dangerous affixes as well as abilities.
- Hand of the Protector and Lay on Hands are not only self-heal abilities, but can be used on group members to great effect as well to help the healer.
Talents for Mythic+ Dungeons
Some dungeons may require a different set of talents, but in general, you should start with the following talents and only make changes if you know that you will need a different talent for a specific reason in a dungeon.
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents
While you could use Redoubt for an extra Avenger's Shield hit, it is going to be rather limited in how often you can benefit from this 5th hit much at all. Meanwhile Holy Shield can be used to great effect against various magic abilities throughout the dungeons both defensively and offensively. Blessed Hammer provides the most damage, but mainly it excells at allowing you to cast while kiting to procc Avenger's Shield, a huge quality of life improvement.
Tier 2 (Level 30) Talents
Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents
Both Fist of Justice as well as Blinding Light have their uses. We feel Fist of Justice has generally more use due to being able to lock down a target every 25seconds instead of 60seconds, but Blinding Light gives you the ability to do something extra, and can be very efficient at mass interrupting enemies if they have been stunned too many times. Repentance can be used, should your group seriously lack crowd control.
Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents
Cavalier is usually the default choice if you are lazy in dungeons for more movement speed, but you can use Blessing of Spellwarding to great effect in most dungeons, not only on yourself but also on others.
Tier 5 (Level 75) Talents
While all these talents work, and your choice will depend on various factors, but in general Final Stand is the most useful one. Final Stand will add a huge safety net to some massively complicated pulls, and its cooldown is as long as Guardian of Ancient Kings, which allows you to rotate these and have a really strong cooldown every few minutes. Hand of the Protector is really only an option to help with group healing should it be needed. The cooldown reduction on abilities from Unbreakable Spirit is nice, but rarely utilized fully. A lower cooldown on Divine Shield can have its uses.
Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents
Few classes have the ability to slow enemies as reliably as Paladins, thus Consecrated Ground is almost a necessity to have if you want to start to kite. Seeing as the other talents both perform very poorly in dungeons, it is an easy choice.
Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents
The choice of which level 100 talent to use is based a lot on personal preference, but the simple answer is generally Last Defender. It is easy to use and works very well in most AoE tanking situations. It is definitely worth noting that Seraphim often comes out ahead, especially in terms of damage output, but is not recommended if you are under-geared or new to the class. If you do not feel comfortable playing with Seraphim, Last Defender is generally the multi-target option. However, both Last Defender and Righteous Protector suffer from the same problem; they are only good in one situation, while they are really weak in the other. Seraphim contributes greatly to damage output, but also gives you a fair amount of secondary stats that are all great at keeping you alive. The downside is that it is rather costly in terms of Shield of the Righteous charges. However, for dungeons, Seraphim performs well, due to the downtime between mobs, and the ability to almost always start every new pack with Seraphim up and available. You can also choose to skip using it on a smaller pack that is not as threatening, thereby saving it for the next pack that is a lot bigger. The defensive benefit from Seraphim is not massive, but it is not irrelevant, and you are definitely harder to kill during its uptime.
Trinkets for Mythic+
Unfortunately, there are very few trinkets that are that strong for Protection Paladins in Mythic+. Even here, item level is basically the deciding factor on trinkets. We recommend using trinkets with either passive Strength or secondary stat, with a Strength or secondary stat proc/use effect. That is to say trinkets with proc effects that purely deals damage can be a great offensive option, but stats are generally preferred as a more balanced option. The damage output from the tank is generally a lot more important in Mythic+ situations compared to raids, so offensive trinkets here is sometimes the right choice. These are a few trinkets that perform generally better than others.
Xalzaix's Veiled Eye is a solid defensive trinket for Mythic+. Since it can proc rather often, you can use its effect every other pull or so to prevent some initial spikiness. The amount it shields for is still quite a bit in most Mythic+ situations, and while there are still some times where it might trigger a bit too easily and get wasted, it is still a solid defensive option.
Grong's Primal Rage is a really strong offensive option. Being an on-use effect helps greatly to make this trinket a strong option, and can be used together with every second Seraphim. You are still able to dodge, parry, and block abilities during its channel.
Rezan's Gleaming Eye is one of the most well rounded trinkets available. While the amount of Haste it gives is not super high, it has got a fairly high uptime and overall just gives Strength and Haste, which are the cornerstones of Paladin gearing.
Azerite Trait Rankings for Mythic+
Most traits have a chance to proc damage or stats. Those traits could be very useful and more information about how strong they really are is going to come out when tuning ends. As of right now, they are constantly in flux.
Outer and Second Ring Traits
Having at least one trait of Inspiring Vanguard and Soaring Shield is important for dungeons. Try to also obtain as many Bulwark of Light as possible outside of those two traits. Most other traits obtainable on these Rings do not matter as much. You can go for just damage output or traits such as Blood Rite, which have a chance to be rather effective due to the refresh ability. Righteous Conviction can also be a good trait to guarantee high self-sustainability.
Third Ring Traits
Fourth Ring Traits
While Gemhide will be rather reliable in dungeons the healing traits like Impassive Visage gain a lot of ground in Mythic+, even a trait such as Vampiric Speed can gain a lot of benefit due to mobs having different health pools and dying off at different times. Meanwhile Bulwark of the Masses sounds very good and it can have great effect, but will have very low uptime and be useless on most bosses and mini-bosses throughout the dungeons.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams: A good balanced tool when running with Seraphim.
- Anima of Death: A great burst damage dealing tool against large groups of enemies.
- Suppressing Pulse: Helps greatly with kiting, as well as reduce damage from auto attacks with a short cooldown.
- Stand Your Ground: Grants Versatility as well as a heal based on amount of enemies around you which is great for Mythic+
- Sphere of Suppression: Provides a haste buff which is basically always up as a tank.
- Hardened Azerite: Can be strong against Tyrannical with bosses that mainly feature Physical damage.
For general information about affixes, see our general Mythic+ guide (coming up very soon). Below we will mention some of the affixes where a Paladins utility can really help out.
Tier Two Affixes
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when an enemy dies. This pool will heal enemies who stay inside the zone, while damaging players. It can be wise to un-talent Consecrated Ground to easier move mobs out of Sanguine pools.
- Bursting causes enemies to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their maximum health in damage every four seconds. When handling the Bursting affix, make sure to help the rest of the group with Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice if you end up killing off a lot of enemies quickly after each other, and consider using Divine Shield for yourself. You can also spec into Hand of the Protector should more off-healing be needed.
Tier Three Affixes
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking damage over time effect when they fall below 90%. Make sure to help your healer with Hand of the Protector heals on the group should you be using the talent. It is also a good affix to make sure you have Blessing of Protection available to help your healer out, as Grievous is physical and can be removed with Blessing of Protection.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum health in damage to each player caught in the zone and interrupt any casts being finished during the shockwave. Blessing of Protection will make you immune to the interrupt effect as well as the damage. This is a great tool if you have a bad timed Quaking (if, for example, the healer really needs to heal during it).
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not cleaveable and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled. While you should already be running with Crusader's Judgment, it is great against this affix as Judgment is great at dealing with the orbs. Explosive Orbs can be killed with Avenger's Shield as well, as long as you target the orb when casting.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction bleed and a minor damage over time effect. Blessing of Protection and Divine Shield are great tools to remove all your debuffs, coupled with a cancelaura macro. Final Stand can easily help set up a good pull to enable you to get control of the first part of an engagement.
Seasonal Affix: Awakened
With the release of the final patch of Battle for Azeroth comes what may be the last of the seasonal affixes for this expansion, bringing yet another twist to the Mythic+ experience.
Throughout the dungeon, there are four obelisks. These obelisks are in a fixed position throughout the season. These are clickable and start a short, interruptible cast. At the end of this cast, you are taken to a different phase, and a miniboss is there to greet you with their lieutenants; if you do not use an obelisk, they will instead engage when you pull the final boss of the dungeon. These are the abilities of the minibosses:
- The Cursed Spire is guarded by Voidweaver Mal'thir. It will periodically slow attack and casting speed of random party members.
- The Entropic Spire is guarded by Samh'rek, Beckoner of Chaos. Under his watch, three party members will periodically gain Cascading Terror, a debuff that causes anybody in the circle (including the source) to be feared for 3 seconds upon expiration. Get dispelled, since, as a tank, getting feared means taking hits you cannot parry/dodge.
- The Defiled Spire is guarded by Blood of the Corruptor, which just requires constant kiting, as it constantly drops puddles below itself and party members. Think Vol'kaal, just without totems.
- The Brutal Spire is guarded by Urg'roth, Breaker of heroes, and this will be your biggest challenge. Every 15 seconds, this add casts Spirit Breaker on its main threat target, an undodgeable, unparryable, unblockable nuke that also increases your physical damage taken by 300% for 8 seconds after it. It can be LoSed, and should be LoSed.
The lieutenants are only there when using obelisks, and their abilities are as follows:
- Cursed Spire lieutenants are tankable and explode when they die. Get out of the green circle!
- Entropic Spire lieutenants stack a nasty bleed on their primary threat target, and should therefore be a DPS priority.
- Defiled Spire lieutenants cast Mind Flay on random targets, slowing them and dealing a copious amount of damage to them. You should immediately outrange them and group up with your teammates, as this causes them to teleport on you, at which point they are easy to mow down.
- Brutal Spire lieutenants are literally G'huun pustules. Kill them to clear the area
Due to the dangerous nature of the Brutal Spire, we recommend you to always clear it. Depending on the dungeon and the affix combination, up to two obelisks may be kept up before engaging the final boss.
Protection Paladin Dungeon Tips
- AoE stuns are much more effective, since while Hammer of Justice can be used to interrupt Shieldbearer of Zul when channeling Bulwark of Juju, keep in mind that they usually come in pairs and stunning one may just offset their ability usage.
- You can easily lock down a Feasting Skyscreamer or even two by yourself with Rebuke, Avenger's Shield, and Hammer of Justice to prevent a fear from going off.
- Target and lock down the Dazar'ai Confessor from casting Mending Word and Bwonsamdi's Mantle.
- If there are no Dazar'ai Confessors; target and lock down the Dazar'ai Augur to prevent them from casting with Avenger's Shield, especially important is the Fiery Enchant on the trash pack right before Priestess Alun'za.
- The boss will do slightly more damage during her Gilded Claws buff if you can not purge it as it is a magic effect.
- Make sure to always stun Spirit of Gold with Hammer of Justice as soon as it pops up; a 6-second stun before any diminishing return gives you the most amount of time to kill it before it eats the pools on the ground. Consecrated Ground also helps to instantly slow it.
- Help interrupt the Noxious Stench in both phases, either with Avenger's Shield or Rebuke. You can also dispel the Lingering Nausea debuff, so make sure to help the healer out by dispelling it as soon as it is applied; generally it is better to prioritize dispelling other people as it does not hurt the tank as much.
- Help your team with Blessing of Protection if they get devoured, to ignore the damage; it is quite popular to do it intentionally as well to prevent the boss from moving around.
- Mind the increased damage you take during Serrated Teeth and cover appropriately with Shield of the Righteous or cooldowns.
- Make sure to never let a Wracking Pain cast go off; this can easily be done alone with Rebuke, but Avenger's Shield is very handy should you be moving the boss from spiders when she is casting.
- Always have Shield of the Righteous up to reduce the damage from Skewer.
- Watch out for the Irontide Corsairs' Poisoning Strike as they will leap behind you and apply a poison debuff. This can easily be dispelled and you should try to do so as soon as it is applied to reduce damage.
- When in combat with an Irontide Oarsman always keep an eye out for their Sea Spout cast, and make sure it is interrupted. If you pull two, while you can coordinate locking both down, it is easier if you take one while the rest of the group deals with the other one — never let a cast through.
- The Cutwater Duelists will charge another player and stun everyone in its path, avoid this by standing in a direction nobody else is, or try to stun with Hammer of Justice.
- When facing Irontide Stormcallers make sure to always lock one down to prevent it from casting Thundering Squall.
- Always make sure to interrupt his Revitalizing Brew while making sure the boss is not in the path of the bird, to allow melee to deal damage to him without taking damage.
Council o' Captains
The rotation of which two captains you are dealing with is different each week, and whichever captain is inactive is helping you out.
- If Captain Raoul is inactive, he will give you a barrel on the ground which increases damage done by 15%; try to tank the bosses inside this barrel to help with damage.
- When Captain Raoul is active, watch out for his Barrel Smash as it knocks players back and deals damage during its duration.
- Captain Jolly will summon a spinning sword that will slowly travel back to him, make sure you let it travel back into him to get rid of it till he casts it again; positioning is key as to not get knocked around.
Ring of Booty
- You can always help out a person struggling to kite sharks with Blessing of Spellwarding. Note that even tank players can be fixated by the Sharks, as they simply go for the closest player.
- Target the Shadow-Borne Witch Doctor to lock it down from casting spells on you, but always make sure to have Rebuke ready for the Shadow Bolt Volley.
- You can dispel the poison debuff players get from standing in the green pools when Embalming Fluid is active, should they obtain stacks.
- You are also able to dispel the Poison Barrage debuff that the Spectral Beastmaster throws out on a player, especially if that player mistakenly poisons multiple people.
- There is not a lot you can do when fighting Shadow of Zul, outside of trying to heal yourself when you go low. Ardent Defender work well and make it safe to be on low Health, you can then heal yourself back to full with Lay on Hands should the cheat death proc. Blessing of Spellwarding will cause the boss to cast on other players.
The Golden Serpent
- Always have at least Shield of the Righteous up against Tail Thrash.
- If Animated Gold comes close you can stop it from moving with Hammer of Justice to give yourself time to move the boss away, this can be complicated to do without letting it be absorbed by the boss, however.
Mchimba the Embalmer
- If you do not require the healing at the moment, consider helping the healer out to heal the target with Drain Fluids above 90% health; alternatively you can use Blessing of Spellwarding on the player to prevent the healer from having to spend any healing on him.
The Council of Tribes
- You can use Blessing of Protection on a player struck by the Severing Axe to remove it as it is a long duration debuff, or help healing the player with Hand of the Protector.
- You can Blessing of Protection and Divine Shield off the Shattered Defenses debuff away if you wish to tank Aka'ali the Conqueror in the same spot, otherwise kite or use heavy cooldowns.
- If Zanazal the Wise is active early, he will come back and need to be interrupted when casting Poison Nova; Avenger's Shield is great for this as you can interrupt from range.
Dazar, The First King
- Always have Shield of the Righteous up for each the Blade Combo.
- You can pre- Blessing of Spellwarding to avoid the Deathly Roar; alternatively, you can perform a quick Divine Shield and cancelaura macro to get rid of the fear quickly. Do keep in mind, however, that since the boss is riding a mount, you are not able to taunt both of them, so you just want to remove Divine Shield as soon as possible. Final Stand does NOT work reliably, so even if you are using it, you want to cancel it fast, if you are using it to avoid the fear.
Shrine of the Storm
- The Tidesage Spiritualist needs to be locked down to avoid casting Mending Rapids; when there are multiple ones swap what target you Avenger's Shield to keep different ones silenced. Be careful with interrupting everything as when interrupted they get a buff increasing other casts.
- You can pre- Blessing of Spellwarding the Living Current's Rising Tides
- Keep an eye on Sundering Blow stacks from the Ironhull Apprentice as they will reduce your armor.
- Coordinate with your group members who takes the Unending Darkness casts from the Deepsea Ritualists; as a Protection Paladin you are able to take quite a few yourself, so call for backup when you are running out of interrupts, as these adds can not be stunned.
- Both the Drowned Depthbringers as well as the Abyssal Cultists have plenty of casts you can interrupt, however their most important ability has to be stunned or sidestepped. Detect Thoughts will cause the mobs to dodge all attacks for a few seconds, and Consuming Void will cause them to gain a shield which absorbs spell damage and healing them for spell damage taken.
- Abyssal Eel will give you a magic damage debuff that stacks; if these live for a longer time you can either kite to let it drop off or Blessing of Spellwarding to prevent further applications.
- You can always avoid Surging Rush with either Divine Shield or Blessing of Spellwarding should you find yourself in a bad spot and prevent you from getting knocked off.
- Focus Galecaller Faye and coordinate with your group who takes what interrupt if you wish to keep it permanently interrupted. If needed you can delay Avenger's Shield to make sure you get as many interrupts as possible if your group is lacking reliable interrupt abilities.
- Always track the Blessing of Ironsides buff on Brother Ironhull to make sure that you either tank him with heavy cooldowns, or start kiting. Avenger's Shield is excellent for still helping interrupting Faye when kiting Ironhull.
- If you find yourself with too many orbs around you can use Blessing of Spellwarding on yourself and run into a few to clear some up; Divine Shield can also be used if you taunt the boss at the same time, but be careful as to not clear too many as they are needed to break people out of mind control.
- Avenger's Shield is great here to interrupt Void Bolt.
Vol'zith the Whisperer
- Help stun the Manifestation of the Deep should they get too close to allow you to move the boss.
- Blessing of Spellwarding can be used against either tentacles on the ground.
Siege of Boralus
- Interrupt Watertight Shell and lock down Kul Tiran Wavetender from casting spells at all.
- When dealing with the Bilge Rat Tempest make sure to focus and lock it down to make it unable to cast spells. Make sure the Revitalizing Mist is interrupted.
- Make sure to help the healer by dispelling the your Stinging Venom Coating poison effect that the Ashvane Invaders give you. It will stack back up rather quickly but it reduces damage intake for a short while.
Sergeant Bainbridge/Chopper Redhook
- You can help players focused by the boss with Blessing of Protection if they have issues kiting
Dread Captain Lockwood
- Avoid Dread Volley on the ground; if you are cornered Blessing of Spellwarding can make you immune to the damage while you tank the Deckhand to avoid getting Melee hit by their cleave.
- All his abilities can be negated with Blessing of Spellwarding, however his frontal Crashing Tide can be avoided by sidestepping or standing very close to the boss inside his target circle, as it does not start until a bit in front of him.
- Fist of Justice is a great talent for this fight due to being able to stun the Demolishing Terror in case it starts casting Slam in a bad direction, often due to reaching the tentacle late.
- Do not forget to help the healer with Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice against the Putrid Waters debuff, should the healer fall behind on the debuffs.
Temple of Sethraliss
- Use Hammer of Justice to interrupt Drain from Faithless Tenders, and lock them down from healing themselves with Avenger's Shield and Rebuke.
- In the bazaar you can Repentance the Orb Guardian that spawn to prevent it from moving if you can avoid damaging it; otherwise a well timed Hammer of Justice can let the orb pass easier.
- Watch out for the Heart Guardians Heart Attack ability, as it increases all damage taken which stacks, you can Divine Shield it and cancelaura it quickly.
Adderis and Aspix
- Be ready to help the group with Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice when Aspix reaches 100 energy and will begin his Static Shock cast.
- Use Hammer of Justice to clear A Knot of Snakes from allies. Blinding Light also works with a much longer cooldown.
- Remember to help the healer by dispelling Cytotoxin to reduce damage intake when tanking Venomous Ophidians. Move adds out of Dust Cloud that Sand-Crusted Striker spawns.
- Use Blessing of Spellwarding to soak the Galvanize to not only be immune to the damage, but also prevent any stacks for accumulating. This can be done right after soaking one a full Energy Core to soak the second one without getting stacks and this would allow the debuff to reset to then take a third Energy Core again. Divine Shield can also be used to reset the stacks quickly while taunting the boss and canceling the buff quickly again.
Avatar of Sethraliss
- Make sure to interrupt the Plague Doctor so it does not cast Chain Lightning, and you can also stun it when it is trying to cast Snake Charm to save the healer a dispel.
- With Hand of the Protector you can also help the healer heal the boss up during the downtime, or heal other players so the healer can focus on boss. Lay on Hands can also help with healing.
- Feel free run over and soak Plague Toads when able then they will not have to be killed, but make sure to dispel yourself when you can as the plague reduces healing done.
- Wait until Mech Jockeys make it to a mech, and then stun it or disorient with Blinding Light to prevent them from jumping into the Peacekeepers.
- Make sure to lock down the Refreshment Vendor and prevent it from finishing its Kaja'Cola Refresher as it will heal a nearby enemy. The Iced Spritzer cast is also important to make sure you get before the channel finishes as it will stun a player, needing to be dispelled.
- Hired Assassin can be interrupted when casting Toxic Blades to avoid massive AoE damage later on with Hail of Flechettes, this channel can however be stunned as to not deal damage more than once or twice. If you are unable to, you can still help the healer by dispelling the debuff on a party member.
- Focus your attention on both the Feckless Assistant to interrupt the Transfiguration Serum, as well as the Venture Co. Alchemist to interrupt its Transmute: Enemy to Goo. The Transmute ability is not very dangerous if it targets a non-healer as it can be dispelled, but if it does land on the healer and you can not dispel it; he is out of the fight for 10 seconds.
- Help soak the Crawler Mine as long as you are healthy, but remember that outside of cooldown or if you are lucky with Holy Shield blocking the explosion it will hit you for roughly the same amount as non-tank players.
- Make sure to focus target the Devout Blood Priest as both the Gift of G'huun as well as the Dark Reconstitution needs to be interrupted. While Gift of G'huun can be dispelled in case it goes through, or if you need to prioritize which spell to interrupt. Do not forget stuns or Blinding Light to help interrupting should you not have Avenger's Shield procs available.
- If the Diseased Lasher is not properly interrupted you can cleanse the Decaying Mind to remove the stun.
- Coordinate with your group to interrupt the Bloodsworn Defilers Withering Curse before the channel starts, since these adds are not stunnable. You can however still save Avenger's Shield and Rebuke to do it alone.
- When dealing with one or multiple Grotesque Horrors save your Avenger's Shield, Rebuke, and Hammer of Justice to completely lock them down so they do not cast Death Bolt.
- Make sure to interrupt the Blood Mirrors Blood Bolt with Avenger's Shield if she is at range to stack her and her Blood Mirror up.
Cragmaw the Infested
- Consecrated Ground is amazing when tanking Blood Ticks without taking excessive stacks of Serrated Fangs that they apply on successful melee hits. Should you get too many stacks you can Divine Shield or Blessing of Protection it quickly to remove the stacks.
- Cavalier is a great option during the Tantrum to try to cover more ground.
- Before the boss reaches 100 energy you can use Blessing of Spellwarding on a player that quickly runs over as many spore pods as possible without gaining stacks. You can also run over a few and quickly dispel yourself to completely remove them. If the Festering Harvest goes through and gives the whole group debuffs, you can help the healer by dispelling a weaker character to make life easier.
- Cleanse Toxins players who accidentally gets the Decaying Spores debuff.
- Help the healer out with Blessing of Spellwarding and Blessing of Sacrifice if the Putrid Blood stacks reach too high.
- Target and lock down the Bilge Rat Seaspeaker to prevent it from successfully casting Watery Dome; these usually come in packs of two, and you can technically take care of both at the same time, but it is safer if you lock one down completely while the others deal with the second one.
- Some packs feature an Irontide Thug with a Debilitating Shout that needs to be interrupted and stunned to prevent the group for receiving a 50% reduces damage done debuff. Similarly the Ashvane Officer casts Handcuff which silences a player until it is interrupted. Be on top of these interrupts to allow the rest of your group to play efficiently.
The Sand Queen
- Soaring Shield is very efficient here due to helping you pick up an extra target, if it hits its four targets you should have Judgment for one add and Hand of Reckoning for the other to always get threat on all 5 adds and the boss.
- You can use Blessing of Spellwarding and run over a bunch of Sand Traps to clear them at once if needed. During the Upheaval phase you can also use Divine Shield to clear. These traps disappear by themselves eventually but it can be useful to clear a few if you are out of space.
- Help with dispelling the Crippling Shiv with Cleanse Toxins to remove the slow. You can also use Blessing of Freedom but this does not remove the debuff, just negates the movement reduction.
- If you are running Blessing of Protection you can give it to another player so they do not have to hide for the Flashing Daggers cast.
Knight Captain Valyris
- Blessing of Spellwarding can be used if you have bad barrels exploding on top of where you are standing, it will at least save their life even if the others end up dying.
- Most abilities can be negated with Blessing of Spellwarding; it will prevent you from getting knocked back as well during Azerite Rounds: Blast.
- Deadeye is however the only ability that is physical damage, and you can use Blessing of Protection (should you have it) to make a player immune to the hit. If you end up soaking for another player, you can Divine Shield but make sure to taunt him by the end of the cast to give you some time to cancel the shield before boss starts hitting others.
- Focus the Maddened Survivalist to interrupt its Severing Serpent as it debuffs the whole group. If it does go through you can Cleanse Toxins to remove it from a single player.
- Make sure to interrupt and silence Devouring Maggots Infest to keep them from re-spawning. This is usually best done with an AoE stun however you can single target disrupt them with Avenger's Shield, Hammer of Justice, Blinding Light, and Rebuke.
- Watch out for Matron Bryndle and Matron Alma when they get empowered by the Soul Fetish as they will end up hurting a lot until the debuff is dispelled. This can be prematurely interrupted by interrupting the Soul Fetish cast from the Coven Thornshaper, Coven Diviner, as well as the Marked Sister.
- This can be a rather hectic fight, so make sure to use your group utility to great effect. Using Blessing of Spellwarding on the healer during Unstable Runic Mark will make him able to stand still and fully focusing on healing without having to remove Aura of Dread stacks at the same time, greatly increasing your chances of survival.
- If you are running Blessing of Protection, you can use it on the Jagged Nettles to completely remove it if the healer is falling behind. You get this debuff when the boss gains the Aura of Thorns, making Blessing of Protection's benefit two-fold, preventing any thorns damage being taken as well.
- If you are running Blessing of Protection you can quickly use it on a player trapped in Soul Thorns to break them free.
- Always make sure to have Shield of the Righteous up for every Crush.
- By using Blessing of Spellwarding you can allow the healer to stand still and out-heal the Burning Brush without having to be concerned by Burning Souls attacking them.
Raal the Gluttonous
- Use Avenger's Shield to easily pick up Bile Oozelings spawning along the room without leaving melee range of the boss.
Lord and Lady Waycrest
- While you can dispel the Virulent Pathogen make sure to only do it when players have spread out as to not spread the debuff to others again.
- When Lady Waycrest joins the fight, make sure to target her and interrupt the Wracking Chord cast.
- His adds can be stunned with Hammer of Justice once they start to actually channel and incapacitate players. This makes Fist of Justice a great talent for this boss, as you can interrupt each second add.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated with the new seasonal affix Awakened.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Updated with the new seasonal affix Beguiling.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 12 Mar. 2019: Added a note clarifying use of Divine Shield on Dazar in Kings Rest.
- 05 Mar. 2019: Added more advanced tips against Reaping.
- 20 Jan. 2019: Updated Azerite and talent recommendations and seasonal affix.
- 12 Dec. 2018: Avenger's Shield hits Explosive Orbs, updated Heartsbane Triad (Waycrest Manor) text.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Minor updates to talents and Necrotic.
- 04 Sep. 2018: Major update for Mythic+ launch.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Encrypted Shadowlands Alpha Build 22.214.171.124411
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 19th
- WoW Shadowlands Alpha Added to Battle.net Catalog
- Ny'alotha Mythic WF Race, Conclusion: Top 10, N'Zoth Nerf, Limit Tank Goes to Method, Asia Upset and More
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug" List Update: February 19th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 18th
- Burning Crusade Timewalking Event (February 18th - February 25th)
- UI API Change for UnitHealth
- Unholy Aoe Question
- Rustbolt Resistance
- Demonology Warlock 8.3
- Colossus Smash!?
- Protection Warrior 8.3
- Mage Leveling Guide