Protection Paladin Tank Stat Priority — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Protection Paladin. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5.
The Basics of Stats for Protection Paladin
Defensively, the stat priority for Protection Paladins are as follows:
- Critical Strike.
It is important to take into account that Haste, Mastery, and Versatility are all extremely close in terms of value, and item level is by far the most important aspect of gear upgrades. In most cases this stat priority is only really useful comparing when you have two items of the same item level.
Getting a Better Understanding of Protection Paladin Stats
Haste reduces your global cooldown and the cooldowns of most of the abilities that are part of your rotation. Haste's main task is to increase Shield of the Righteous uptime, to generally smooth damage intake and make you more predictable to heal. There is no Haste cap and there is no reason to not keep stacking it.
Mastery, thanks to Mastery: Divine Bulwark, increases your chance to block attacks and your attack power, as well as increasing the damage reduction you get from standing in your Consecration. It works similar to Versatility since it is straight up damage reduction but also increases damage and healing done, but due to increased attack power. It simply outperforms Versatility due to increasing block chance as well.
Versatility increases all damage and healing done as well as reducing damage taken. Versatility gives you slightly more damage reduction per point than Mastery and it will also be active outside of Consecration. However, it is not as strong as Mastery due to missing out on block chance as well.
Critical Strike increases your damage and healing output, and also gives you Parry, as you get 1 Parry from for every 1 point of Critical Strike. Critical Strike does very little for you defensively, while Judgment critical hits increase Shield of the Righteous uptime, and critical strike giving you parry, these effects are very minimal and too random to rely on. Light of the Protector is also able to critically strike which almost guarantees a full heal, however unreliable outside of Avenging Wrath. Offensively, it is a great stat, however.
Strength increases the Armor gained from Shield of the Righteous as well as attack power.
Against most encounters you need to have a decent amount of health, in order to give yourself the chance to be healed before a subsequent attack kills you. In addition to this minimum amount of Stamina, we feel that Stamina remains quite valuable for Protection Paladins. However, most of your Stamina is innately found on your gear, but it is always a good option to have additional Stamina available, should it temporarily be necessary through trinkets, enchants, and gemming (in that order). As you become more comfortable determining the amount of survivability needed for each encounter, you can shift some of that Stamina into other stats.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 09 Aug. 2018: Added paragraph below stat priority.
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- PvP with the Blues: November 15th
- Ny'alotha, the Waking City Rewards: Ny'alotha Allseer (Mythic N'Zoth Mount) & Wriggling Parasite (Glory of the Ny'alotha Raider Mount)
- Infinite Heart of Azeroth Trait in Patch 8.3: Purity of the Worldsoul
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk
- Fury Warrior 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Gems for Timewalking Arcane Mage