Protection Paladin Tank Stat Priority — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Protection Paladin. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Protection Paladin stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Protection Paladin
Defensively, the stat priority for Protection Paladins are as follows:
- Critical Strike.
It is important to take into account that Haste, Mastery, and Versatility are all extremely close in terms of value, and item level is by far the most important aspect of gear upgrades. In most cases this stat priority is only really useful comparing when you have two items of the same item level.
Once you start to approach 30% Mastery you will want to consider balancing this stat budget out with more Versatility where possible to avoid Diminishing Returns.
Getting a Better Understanding of Protection Paladin Stats
Haste reduces your global cooldown and the cooldowns of most of the abilities that are part of your rotation. Haste's main task is to increase Shield of the Righteous uptime, to generally smooth damage intake and make you more predictable to heal. At ～20% Haste you will have more than enough rotational Holy Power to achieve very high uptimes on Shield of the Righteous. At ～25-30% Haste you will be able to cast Word of Glory without fear of dropping Shield of the Righteous uptime. Once you are this level of Haste you will want to start looking to maximise the benefits of other stats over Haste.
Mastery, thanks to Mastery: Divine Bulwark, increases your chance to block attacks and your attack power, as well as increasing the damage reduction you get from standing in your Consecration. It works similar to Versatility since it is straight up damage reduction but also increases damage and healing done, but due to increased attack power. It simply outperforms Versatility due to increasing block chance as well.
Versatility increases all damage and healing done as well as reducing damage taken. Versatility gives you slightly more damage reduction per point than Mastery and it will also be active outside of Consecration. However, it is not as strong as Mastery due to missing out on block chance as well.
Critical Strike increases your damage and healing output, and also gives you Parry, as you get 1 Parry from for every 1 point of Critical Strike. Critical Strike does very little for you defensively, outside of the parry increasing which can increase the frequency at which Grand Crusader can trigger. Word of Glory is also able to critically strike which almost guarantees a full heal, however this is unreliable and just a nice bonus when it does occur. Offensively, it is a great stat, however it is not something that should be sought after as a priority.
Strength increases the Armor gained from Shield of the Righteous, your attack power, and your parry chance (by a small amount).
Against most encounters you need to have a decent amount of health, in order to give yourself the chance to be healed before a subsequent attack kills you. In addition to this minimum amount of Stamina, we feel that Stamina remains quite valuable for Protection Paladins. However, most of your Stamina is innately found on your gear, but it is always a good option to have additional Stamina available, should it temporarily be necessary through trinkets, enchants, and gemming (in that order). As you become more comfortable determining the amount of survivability needed for each encounter, you can shift some of that Stamina into other stats.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Feb. 2021: Re-write of Critical Strike section to clarify strengths of the stat.
- 19 Jan. 2021: Revised information on Strength to include small gains to parry from increasing Strength.
- 06 Dec. 2020: Updated info on Haste.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 13 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st