Affliction Warlock Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Affliction Warlock in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
1. How Should I Play with Deathbolt?
You should not overthink the usage of Deathbolt. If it is possible to refresh your DoTs without overwriting pandemic several seconds before Deathbolt, this is the ideal time to refresh. You should also apply an Unstable Affliction, which is helpful for both the Deathbolt boost and the 10% damage debuff.
2. What Pets/Demons Should I Use?
In Dungeons and Mythic+, we recommend using/sacrificing the Felhunter, as interrupt is invaluable for such environments. This of particular importance in higher levels of Mythic+, as certain spells can cause wipes for the group.
In raid environments, we recommend using the Imp for the Blood Pact stamina buff that it provides. Singe Magic can also be situationally invaluable, allowing you to clear mechanics on yourself or others that might otherwise require a Healer to dispel.
The Voidwalker is recommended for leveling, or for environments where you plan to use Grimoire of Sacrifice, but do not need the interrupt from Felhunter. Sacrificing a Voidwalker grants the Shadow Bulwark skill to the player, a defensive cooldown that provides increased survivability to the player.
The Succubus does not really have any practical use, but deals roughly similar damage to the Imp and Felhunter, and can be used if you prefer the visuals, or need a permanent 60% slow on a single target.
3. Is Phantom Singularity Affected by Darkglare or Deathbolt?
Yes, and so does Vile Taint.
4. Why Does My Darkglare Fail to Extend My DoTs Occasionally?
If the target breaks line of sight or becomes untargeteable in the same global cooldown as Summon Darkglare occurs, the Darkglare will usually fail to extend the effects.
5. Why is Phantom Singularity a Stronger Choice than Vile Taint?
There are a variety of reasons that may not be evident at first glance:
- Phantom Singularity is instant cast, and costs no resources.
- Phantom Singularity is a single target DPS gain, unlike Vile Taint.
- The healing utility can be noticeable in multi-target situations.
- It is easier to fit Phantom Singularity into a Summon Darkglare or Deathbolt setup.
6. When Should I Use Seed of Corruption?
You should always cast Seed of Corruption to apply your Corruption once 3+ targets are present and stacked. There should be at least 8 targets present before you decide to use Seed as your main Soul Shard dump.
6.1. What About With Sow the Seeds?
7. What Piece is Better, X or Y?
The answer to this question in any context will always be to simulate it. This is because what is an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear has an effect on everything else.
This applies to gear, trinkets, Azerite Traits, and even talents in certain situations.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents, for example. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, Warcraft Logs offers empirical rankings and statistics and is one of the best resources to determine what the top players are doing.
8. How Much of X Stat Should I Have?
We are not being timid when we say that "the stat priority varies with each character". There is no hidden answer or secret stat priority only the "in-club" uses. The truth is that scale factors vary very greatly depending on your character.
Most basic "stat priorities" for guides are determined by simming a character with equal amounts of the secondary stats. This tells you a simple truth; when I have equal amounts of secondary stats, what is the best stat for my character?
The obvious answer is provided in our stats page, and should prove to be a largely universal metric to act by. That said, almost every character will desire differing priorities based on item level, Azerite Traits, and your current distribution of stats.
Long story short; if you want the most accurate answer, use a simulation tool to cater the results to your current gear level.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 30 Oct. 2018: Updated page.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Added an FAQ regarding Darkglare failing to extend the Warlock's DoT effects.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Page created for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: December 14th
- The Hivemind Secret Gets New Clues
- World of Warcraft Greek Community Q&A Roundup: December 13th
- Upcoming Class Tuning - December 18th
- Pet Battle Changes in Patch 8.1
- Tides of Vengeance Live Developer Q&A Roundup: December 14th
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: December 13th
- New Store Fox Mount: Vulpine Familiar
- Sim and pack alpha
- ElvUI: a Comprehensive Guide
- Havoc Demon Hunter 8.0.1
- Bilescourge Bombers better than Demonic Strange?
- Fury Warrior 8.0.1
- Marksmanship Hunter PvP 7.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.0.1