Destruction Warlock DPS Stat Priority — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Destruction Warlock. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
If you were looking for WotLK Classic content, please refer to our WotLK Classic Destruction Warlock stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Destruction Warlock
The stat priority for a Destruction Warlock is as follows:
- Haste to about 30%;
- Critical Strike ≅ Versatility;
This stat priority was determined using a SimulationCraft profile in standard BiS gear with normalized stats. It was meant to simulate a very "average" set of player gear, but you should refer to this information with care. It is highly recommended you sim yourself to determine which stats your character gets maximum benefit out of, as this is subject to change depending on your ratios.
Most players will notice their stat priority shifts as they acquire higher item levels due to the variance in scaling.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Diminishing Return on Secondary Stats
At the Shadowlands release, a diminishing return system was put in place with different tiers that will incur an increased penalty in the overall stat amount. With access to a higher total amount of secondary stats in this tier, players can now feel the effect, and it could alter some gearing choices.
- From 0 to 30%, there is no penalty.
- From 30% to 39%, there is a 10% penalty.
- From 39% to 47%, there is a 20% penalty.
- From 47% to 54%, there is a 30% penalty.
- From 54% to 66%, there is a 40% penalty.
- From 66% to 126%, there is a 50% penalty.
- You can not get more than 126% from gear rating.
In practical terms, it should not have much of an impact when using SimulationCraft/Raidbot, as the tools, are already accounting for it.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
Your stat priority has a direct impact on your gem, enchant, and consumable choices, and you can find recommendations for all 3 on our dedicated page below.
Statistics Explanations for Destruction Warlock
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Haste influences the cast speed of your spells. The tick rate of Immolate is also increased, and the cooldown of Conflagrate is decreased. This contributes to significantly higher Soul Shard generation at higher levels of Haste. Your demons also scale with Haste.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities. Chaos Bolt always critically hits , and its damage is increased by your Critical Strike at a rate of 1% damage per 1% Critical Strike. Immolate criticals have a doubled chance to produce a Soul Shard. Your demons also scale with Critical Strike.
Mastery, through Mastery: Chaotic Energies increases your damage dealt by a random amount as well as reducing damage taken by a random amount, between 0 and the maximum amount, which is determined by your current Mastery rating. This does not affect pet damage.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction. Your demons also scale with Versatility.
Current Tier trend
As the last tier of an expansion, players have access to gear with item level high enough to hit the first tier of Diminishing Return on multiple secondary stats. This situation is further amplified by the current itemisation, which has a prominence of spell damage effect which scales almost exclusively with Critical Hit Chance and especially Versatility, once used to be the least relevant stat but now is becoming more and more important, surpassing Mastery in value as the player approaches Best in Slot.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2
- Full Trading Post Rotation for December 2023
- New Returning Items Tab for Trading Post Items in Patch 10.2.5
- Will Sylvanas Return in Patch 10.2.5?
- Night Elf Paladin NPC Spotted in Patch 10.2.5
- New Trading Post Mount in Patch 10.2.5 - Savage Blue Battle Turtle