Destruction Warlock DPS Stat Priority — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Destruction Warlock. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
The Basics of Stats for Destruction Warlock
The stat priority for a Destruction Warlock is:
- Mastery ≥ Haste;
- Critical Strike;
This stat priority was determined using a SimulationCraft profile in standard BiS gear with normalized stats. It was meant to simulate a very "average" set of player gear, but you should refer to this information with care. It is highly recommended you sim yourself to determine which stats your character gets maximum benefit out of, as this is subject to change depending on your ratios.
The general rule is that you want a good balance between Haste and Mastery for single target, but as you add more targets in the scenario, Mastery gradually becomes our best stat, even above Intellect.
Most players will notice their stat priority shifts as they acquire higher item levels, due to the variance in scaling.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Corruption Effects and Stats
With Patch 8.3, Corruption effects have been introduced as replacement for the Titanforged system, and this new system has bigger repercussions in the gearing process and how stats affect each character.
Starting with the more straightforward effects, those that increase by a flat % the rating of a given secondary, there are two implications:
- The more you have of a stat, the bigger the benefit will be from these Corruption effects;
- Inversely, if you drop a corruption effect that increases a secondary you do not stack, its benefits will be minimal.
So as a general rule, flat % values are directly proportional to how much of that stat your gear already has, and how good is that stat for a specific spec.
Secondary stat proc effects do not generally have a big impact on gearing, beside the fact that the least amount of a secondary you have, the more desirable the proc becomes, after factoring DPS per point of a given spec.
Spell proc Corruption effects instead play a major role in how secondary stat values can change. Specifically, as those effects such as Infinite Star have a hasted RPPM, and scale directly with Versatility and Critical Strike ratings, the result is an increased value of Haste/Critical Strike/Versatility, compared to Mastery.
Statistics Explanations for Destruction Warlock
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Haste influences the cast speed of your spells. The tick rate of Immolate is also increased, and the cooldown of Conflagrate is decreased. This contributes to significantly higher Soul Shard generation at higher levels of Haste. Your demons also scale with Haste.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities. Chaos Bolt always critically hits and its damage is increased by your Critical Strike, at a rate of 1% damage per 1% Critical Strike. Immolate criticals have a doubled chance to produce a Soul Shard. Your demons also scale with Critical Strike.
Mastery, through Mastery: Chaotic Energies increases your damage dealt by a random amount as well as reducing damage taken by a random amount, between 0 and the maximum amount which is determined by your current Mastery rating. This does not affect pet damage.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction. Your demons also scale with Versatility.
- 21 Jan. 2020: Added corruption implications on secondary scaling.
- 14 Jan. 2020: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 29 Jul. 2019: Updated for The Eternal Palace.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 08 Feb. 2019: Updated to reflect change in stat priority of Haste and Mastery.
- 25 Jan. 2019: Updated for Battle of Dazar'alor.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer Resets to Stay as They Are for Now
- Ny'alotha the Waking City Raid Finder Wing 3 Now Open
- Second Encrypted Shadowlands Alpha Build Shipped This Week
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 24th
- Updates, Specifics for February 25th Horrific Visions Changes
- Class Balance Changes Update: Death Knights and Monks
- End of Fall of the Lich King Remastered Cinematic
- How Addons Affect Raid Design - A Morgan Day Interview
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Fire Mage PvP 8.3
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Fury Warrior 8.3
- Assassination Rogue 8.3
- Frost Death Knight PvP 8.3
- Titan Research Archive
- Unholy Aoe Question