Destruction Warlock DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we explain how to easily play Destruction Warlock in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of a Destruction Warlock
Destruction is a flexible specialization that can provide a variety of damage types and pressure without much rotational complexity. In this section, we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the number of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
Talent Choice for Destruction Warlock
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. These talents aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Flashover
- Level 30: Reverse Entropy
- Level 45: Demon Skin
- Level 60: Cataclysm
- Level 75: Demonic Circle
- Level 90: Grimoire of Supremacy
- Level 100: Dark Soul: Instability
Stat Priority for Destruction Warlock
Currently, you will want to prioritize secondary stats as follows:
- Mastery ≥ Haste;
- Critical Strike;
Essence Choices for Destruction Warlock
For single-target, use Vision of Perfection, or Memory of Lucid Dreams paired with Strive for Perfection if you absolutely need more burst; in open world content The Crucible of Flame's Concentrated Flame is a well-rounded and competitive choice.
Essence of the Focusing Iris's Focused Azerite Beam becomes relevant once you have at least 5 targets or you need to burst wave of adds.
For single-target situations, pick any of the following minors:
- Blood of the Dying's Lethal Strikes;
- The Crucible of Flame's Ancient Flame;
- Conflict and Strife's Strife;
- Essence of the Focusing Iris's Focused Energy, if you are not swapping targets frequently.
When dealing with multiple targets, consider opting for at least one of the following:
Azerite Quick Reference for Destruction Warlock
Single Target Rotation for Destruction Warlock
- Maintain Immolate at all times.
- Cast Chaos Bolt if you have 5 Soul Shards.
- Cast Conflagrate if you have 2 charges.
- Cast Chaos Bolt to keep the Eradication debuff applied (if talented).
- Cast Cataclysm (if talented) when available.
- Cast Conflagrate to generate Soul Shards.
- Cast Incinerate to generate Soul Shards.
Multiple Target Rotation for Destruction Warlock
Rain of Fire should become your main Soul Shard consuming spell with at least 3 targets stacked together, unless you are inside a Havoc timeframe, in which case the number of target is 5+. Keep in mind there will be situation where using Chaos Bolt will be more beneficial, such as targets constantly moving away from Rain of Fire area, or particular Mythic+ affixes like Bolstering, and Raging among others.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3.
- 29 Jul. 2019: Updated Essence recommendations.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 11 Feb. 2019: Updated to reflect the changes in gearing from Haste to Mastery.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 09 Nov. 2018: Updated Easy setup recommendation.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Added Azerite Outer Ring simulations (single target and cleave) for quick reference.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Suspensions Coming for Green Scepter Shard Griefing
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Great Vault Mythic Dungeons Item Choices Explained
- Patch 8.3.7 and Classic Hotfixes: July 31st
- Ectoplasmic Distiller Hotfix: July 31st
- Night Elf Male Blindfold Customization Option in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.1 Build 35360: Class Changes