Feltotem's Fall: a Legion Timewalking Mage Tower Guide
This Mage Tower Challenge for a variety of specializations — Beast Mastery Hunter, Destruction Warlock, Discipline Priest, and Windwalker Monk — is focused on mechanics, positioning, some adds, and keeping yourself alive through unavoidable damage.
You will be fighting Tugar Bloodtotem and his massive worm pet, along with a few adds spawned by Tugar's totems.
This guide will explain everything you need to know to improve your chances of success at Feltotem's Fall, including a strategy on the encounter itself, and how to best prepare your character.
Feltotem's Fall (Tugar Bloodtotem) Mage Tower Guide
Welcome to our strategy guide for the Mage Tower challenge Feltotem's Fall. On this page, we will tell you everything you need to know about the encounter, and how to defeat it. If you are not playing the specs listed below, check out one of our other Mage Tower guides for your spec.
Feltotem's Fall Mage Tower Rewards
Completing this Mage Tower Challenge will unlock a unique recolor of the Tier 20 Raid Set from Tomb of Sargeras. Completing all 7 of the Mage Tower challenges will unlock the Mage-Bound Spelltome Mount.
If you would like to learn more about what else is available during Legion Timewalking or other mounts available in Patch 9.1/9.1.5, please consult our overviews below.
How To Start Feltotem's Fall
This Mage Tower challenge will only be available during Legion Timewalking events, the first of which will begin on December 7th, 2021 (December 8th for European, Korean, and Taiwanese realms). The challenge can be attempted as many times as you want, and there is no minimum gear requirement. To begin Feltotem's Fall, you must be playing one of the following specializations:
To begin this challenge, you need to visit War Councilor Victoria on the Broken Shore (coords. 45, 62). If you have your Dalaran Hearthstone, you can get there very easily. If you do not have your Dalaran Hearthstone, go to Orgrimmar/Stormwind and take the portal to Azsuna to fly to the Broken Shore.
Gear Considerations for the Mage Tower
The effects below will not function within the Timewalking Mage Tower event:
- Any Covenant-related effects (Covenant Ability, Signature Ability, Soulbinds, Conduits)
- Legendary Powers from Shadowlands or Legion (the items will still provide stats, their equip effects will not)
- Legendary items from Questlines ( Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve, Warlords of Draenor Legendary Rings, Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest, Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings)
- Any Shards of Domination
- Any Battle for Azeroth systems (Azerite Gear, Traits, Essences)
- Any tier set bonuses
- Mists of Pandaria Legendary Meta Gems
You should also keep in mind that all items are scaled to item level 50 in the Mage Tower. This means that your item level is completely irrelevant, and that all that matters is the quality of the items you are bringing. This also means that sockets have exceptional value in Mage Tower Challenges.
BiS List for Legion Timewalking/Mage Tower Challenges
Since many specs can do this challenge, we can not offer an individual BiS list for every single spec. However, the sources for nearly all BiS items are the same.
|Helm||Any 2-Socket Helm||Throne of Thunder/Siege of Orgrimmar|
|Necklace||Heart of Azeroth or Prizerock Neckband (enchant with Enchant Neck - Mark of the Hidden Satyr)||Battle for Azeroth Main Storyline/Legion Archaeology|
|Shoulders||Any 2-Socket Shoulders (enchant with Greater Crane Wing Inscription/ Greater Tiger Claw Inscription; Scribes can use upgraded "Secret" versions of these)||Throne of Thunder/Siege of Orgrimmar/Dragon Soul|
|Cloak||MoP Legendary Cloak (enchant with Enchant Cloak - Minor Power)||No Longer Obtainable - MoP Legendary Cloak Questline|
|Cloak Alternative||Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve (enchant with Enchant Cloak - Minor Power)||Patch 8.3 'Through the Darkness' Questline (starts at Magni in the Chamber of Heart)|
|Chest||Any 3-Socket Chest (enchant with Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats/ Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats depending on iLvl)||Throne of Thunder/Siege of Orgrimmar|
|Bracers||Any 2-Socket Bracers (enchant with Enchant Bracer - Super Intellect/ Enchant Bracer - Greater Agility)||Cataclysm Tailoring/Leatherworking|
|Gloves||Any 2-Socket Gloves/ Vigilance Perch for Hunter (enchant with Enchant Gloves - Major Spellpower/ Enchant Gloves - Major Agility)||Throne of Thunder/Siege of Orgrimmar/Legion Legendary|
|Belt||Any 2-Socket Belt||Throne of Thunder/Siege of Orgrimmar or Pandaria Tailoring/Leatherworking. Add extra socket with Living Steel Belt Buckle|
|Legs||Any 3-Socket Legs (enchant with Powerful Ghostly Spellthread/ Shadowleather Leg Armor)||Throne of Thunder/Siege of Orgrimmar or Pandaria Tailoring/Leatherworking|
|Boots||Any 2-Socket Boots/ The Sentinel's Eternal Refuge for Windwalker (enchant with Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step/ Enchant Boots - Assassin's Step/ Enchant Boots - Greater Assault)||Throne of Thunder/Dragon Soul/Legion Legendary|
|Rings||WoD Pre-Legendary Ring (for example, Spellbound Runic Band of Unrelenting Slaughter) (enchant with Accord, or Binding of Haste/Mastery/Crit/Vers depending on iLvl and spec)||WoD Legendary Ring Questline|
|Rings (alternatives)||Logic Loop of Division and Overclocking Bit Band||Operation: Mechagon|
|Trinkets||Chipped Soul Prism for all/ Dragonspine Trophy for Hunter/Melee/ Unblinking Gaze of Sethe for Casters||Supreme Lord Kazzak World Boss/Gruul's Lair/Hellfire Citadel|
|Weapon (Hunter)||Hellscream's Warbow (LFR, Heroic)/ Shiver Venom Crossbow (enchant with Flintlocke's Woodchucker)||Siege of Orgrimmar Heirlooms (unobtainable)/The Eternal Palace|
|Weapon (Caster)||Dying Light (enchant with Enchant Weapon - Machinist's Brilliance)||Icecrown Citadel|
|Weapon (AGI Melee)||Hersir's Greatspear (enchant with Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel (2h) and Enchant Weapon - Crusader (1h))||Icecrown Citadel|
There are also potentially better weapons from utilizing Chromie Time, but they require a leveled character on a second account and so are not within the scope of this guide.
If you prefer not to farm old raids for gear, you can use Crafted Dreadful Gladiator's pieces as an alternative. These can be crafted by all the primary gear crafting Professions, and you will want to use the Relic of the Past V Optional Reagent to upgrade their item level when crafting. These items have plentiful sockets, socket bonuses, and can fill gaps in your gear.
Best Gems and Consumables for Mage Tower Challenges
- Meta Gems: Burning Primal Diamond for Casters and Agile Primal Diamond for Agility users
- Intellect: 1x Timeless Tanzanite and rest Brilliant Queen's Garnet
- Agility: 1x Nightmare Tear and rest Delicate Queen's Garnet
- Any Main Stat Feast/Optimal Secondary Stat Food
Feltotem's Fall Mage Tower Strategy Guide
The fight consists of two phases. During Phase 1, you will kill Tugar Bloodtotem while bringing down the health of his pet worm, Jormog the Behemoth, as much as possible in preparation for Phase 2 where you will fight Jormog alone while its damage is buffed.
Jormog the Behemoth begins the fight with 9 stacks of Fel Hardened Scales, reducing its damage taken by 10% per stack. There is a way to remove these stacks, and once a significant amount of stacks have been removed, it is worth keeping Tugar and Jormog close so that you can cleave them both in Phase 1.
In Phase 1, you will kill Tugar Bloodtotem while interrupting his Fel Burst ability every time it is cast, and cleaving down Jormog the Behemoth. You can use stuns to interrupt it as well. In addition, you will have to deal with a few other mechanics:
- Earthquake causes brown circles to spawn where rocks will fall from the ceiling that stay on the ground. Stand near the rocks to bait Jormog's Jormog's Fury ability to them. If he hits a rock, it will remove a stack of his Fel Hardened Scales buff that gives him reduced damage taken.
- Step out of the "X" pattern of green circles when they spawn.
- Avoid casting spells when Jormog the Behemoth casts Sonic Scream to avoid getting silenced. You can also stun this cast to stop it from going off, but we generally recommend saving stuns for Fel Bursts and only using stuns to interrupt Sonic Scream when Tugar is dead.
- You will also take damage from Fel Shock and Fel-Infused Saliva, but these are unavoidable and should be self-healed through.
- Kill the Bile Spitter Eggs before their cast finishes. If their cast finishes, kill the Bile Spitter that spawns. The add's health is based on the remaining health of the eggs.
- Kill Fel Surge Totems before their cast finishes, or you will be stunned for 4 seconds. They can easily be oneshot, and it is worth making a macro that targets and kills them with a simple, instant-cast ability of your class. We have posted an example below.
- /tar Fel Surge Totem
- /use Cobra Shot
Your choice of when to kill Tugar will depend a lot on your specialization and the quality of your gear. In any case, you should never kill Tugar before all 9 stacks of Fel Hardened Scales have been removed from Jormog. The higher Jormog's health is when Tugar dies, the tougher it will be to kill Jormog before his damage overwhelms you. On the other hand, the fight is drastically simplified when Tugar dies, so you will have to find the best trade-off of DPS requirement and mechanical difficulty for you.
Phase 2 begins when Tugar Bloodtotem dies and dramatically simplifies the fight. During this phase, you will fight Jormog the Behemoth while he does his Fel-Infused Saliva and Sonic Scream abilities that deal heavy damage to you. Due to Fel Rage, these will deal 150% more damage, increasing even more over time. Use Drums of Deathly Ferocity and DPS cooldowns to kill Jormog as quickly as possible before you run out of self-sustain here.
- 01 Dec. 2021: Guide added.
- Dragonflight 10.1 Class Tuning: June 6th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 Hotfixes, June 1st
- Treasure Goblin Sets Portal Trap and Sends Players Away
- Mythic+ Tier List in Dragonflight Season 2 (Week 4)
- Dawn of the Infinite Megadungeon Drops Item Level 421 Loot on the 10.1.5 PTR
- New Headless Horseman Candy Bucket in Patch 10.1.5
- Kalimdor Cup Scheduled for August 15th
- A Video Overview of the June Trading Post Items