Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve Legendary Cloak Guide (BfA 8.3)
Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve is the legendary cloak being added in Patch 8.3 to help players deal with the new Corruption and Sanity mechanics.
Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve is the latest legendary item to be added to the game with Patch 8.3. It will play a vital role in the gearing and progression systems in the new patch, while being extremely easy to obtain.
Obtaining Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve
To obtain the legendary cloak, you will just have to complete the Patch 8.3 questline, which takes you through the process of unlocking all of the new systems, including Assaults, Visions, and Horrific Visions.
You will obtain the cloak as a reward from Beginning the Descent, a quest that takes you into Blackwing Descent with Wrathion.
The cloak has a base item level of 470 and comes with a plethora of stats and effects, as can be seen below.
The Corruption Resistance allows you to reduce your total Corruption level received from wearing Corrupted items. You can read more about this in our dedicated guide to Corrupted Items below.
The Equip effect reduces the rate at which your Sanity decreases in Visions of N'Zoth, which is essentially a time-gating mechanism for the new content. On your first attempt, your cloak is too low rank to properly prevent Sanity drain in the Visions, so instead, you have to rank it up to be able to clear the Visions fully.
Legendary Cloak Effects
The cloak has 2 special effects that players will unlock at Ranks 6 and 12.
Rank 6 Effect — Steadfast Resolve
Steadfast Resolve is an on-use ability with a 3-minute cooldown that dispels any effects of Corruption, as well as making the player immune to any further effects for 6 seconds.
Rank 12 Effect — Draconic Empowerment
Draconic Empowerment is a main stat proc that grants players a large amount of their primary stat (Strength, Agility, Intellect). The buff lasts 15 seconds and grants 3,500 of the chosen stat for your class/specialisation.
Upgrading Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve
Your cloak starts at item level 470 and "Rank 1", but you are able to upgrade it by completing repeatable quests in Horrific Visions.
The highest rank you can upgrade your cloak to is Rank 15, but there is further progression beyond this for players that complete special objectives. We will go into this in more detail below.
Horrific Visions and the Book Quests
To upgrade your cloak through Horrific Visions, you will need to complete 3 chains of quests with Wrathion, which involve collecting a book for him, followed by repeatable page-collecting quests.
Currently, you are able to upgrade the cloak to Rank 15 freely, making it only take around 3 weeks to get a maxed out cloak, assuming you never fail a vision upgrade and do as many visions as possible every week.
We have listed the full set of quests below, up to Rank 15.
Note that the Tier 1, 2, and 3 zones refer to the Tainted, Corrupted, and Lost zones in Horrific Visions respectively.
Rank 1 to Rank 5
- Remnants of a Shattered World — find The Curse of Stone and return it to Wrathion. This is found by killing the main boss of the Horrific Vision (Alleria or Thrall) and looting their chest.
- Reconstructing The Curse of Stone — find the missing Torn Page of "The Curse of Stone". You will need to complete this 3 times and the pages can be found in the same place as the book, in the chest of Alleria or Thrall.
|Rank||Number of Pages|
|1||None - complete Beginning the Descent|
|2||None - find The Curse of Stone|
|3||1x Torn Page of "The Curse of Stone"|
|4||1x Torn Page of "The Curse of Stone"|
|5||1x Torn Page of "The Curse of Stone"|
Note that the items for the quests above only come from the areas with the main boss, which means that killing additional bosses and clearing other zones will not give you any bonus items for the quests. While you are still completing these first ranks, do not risk failing the Vision; focus on upgrading your cloak and make sure that you kill the main boss every run.
Rank 5 to Rank 11
- Stepping Through the Darkness — find Fear and Flesh and return it to Wrathion. This is found by completing an objective outside of the main boss' area, meaning you must complete one of the Tier 2 or Tier 3 difficulty zones.
- Reconstructing Fear and Flesh — find the missing Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh". You will need to complete this 5 times, with varying numbers of pages required depending on your current rank. These pages can also only be obtained by completing Tier 2 and Tier 3 difficulty zones.
|Rank||Number of Pages|
|6||None - find Fear and Flesh|
|7||2x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh"|
|8||2x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh"|
|9||4x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh"|
|10||4x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh"|
|11||4x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh"|
You receive no additional items for killing the main boss for these quests, so just ensure that you clear as many zones as you can in the time available. If you know you cannot clear an additional zone in the time remaining, just go and kill the main boss instead for additional Corrupted Mementos.
Make sure to clear all of the side areas to get the 4 Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh" required for level 9 upgrades onwards.
Rank 11 to Rank 15
- Walking in the Darkness — find The Final Truth and return it to Wrathion. This can only be found by completing a Tier 3 difficulty objective.
- Reconstructing The Final Truth — find the missing Torn Page of "The Final Truth". You will need to complete this 3 times.
|Rank||Number of Pages|
|12||None - find The Final Truth|
|13||2x Torn Page of "The Final Truth"|
|14||2x Torn Page of "The Final Truth"|
|15||2x Torn Page of "The Final Truth"|
You receive no additional items for clearing any objective except the Tier 3 zones, so budget your time accordingly. If you struggle with the Tier 3 zones and do not have time to attempt the second one, kill the main boss or clear an easier objective for additional Corrupted Mementos.
Beyond Rank 15
After removing the infinite progression from the Heart of Azeroth, Blizzard introduced something similar to the legendary cloak. It functions similarly to how the Archimonde and Argus upgrades worked in previous expansions.
When a player with a Rank 15 legendary cloak kills N'Zoth the Corruptor on Normal or higher difficulty, or completes a Horrific Vision with at least 1 Mask active, they will receive an item that can further increase their cloaks Corruption Resistance level (see our corrupted items guide for more information).
The item, Malefic Core, will grant you an additional 3 Corruption Resistance for each use, up to a cap of 125.
Cosmetic Upgrades by Rank
The legendary cloak will change appearance based on the current rank of it. The appearance will change at the start of each "section" of ranks, as listed above in the upgrades section: Rank 1, Rank 6, and Rank 12.
Below, you can see the 3 appearances side-by-side, with the Rank 1 on the left, the Rank 6 in the middle, and the Rank 12 on the right.
Stat Upgrades by Rank
As you increase the rank of your cloak, the item level will increase by 2 for each rank gained. This brings with it an increase to the stat budgets on the cloak.
Beyond simply increasing the item level of the cloak, the rank upgrades increase the effectiveness of the Corruption Resistance stat and the amount of Sanity loss reduction. You can see the amounts of both in the tables below.
|Cloak Rank||Corruption Resistance Amount|
|2 & 3||12|
|4 — 6||20|
|7 & 8||27|
|9 & 10||35|
|11 — 13||42|
|14 & 15||50|
|Cloak Rank||Sanity Loss Rate Reduction|
|1 & 2||20%|
|3 & 4||25%|
|5, 6, & 7||40%|
|8 & 9||45%|
|11 & 12||65%|
- 19 May 2020: Updated the guide with the recently unveiled reduced page count per upgrade.
- 26 Feb. 2020: Further updated according to page changes.
- 24 Feb. 2020: Added note about upcoming changes to cloak upgrades.
- 31 Jan. 2020: Corrected error in the sanity table.
- 20 Jan. 2020: Fixed incorrect mention of cloak changing appearance at Rank 5, added more information on weekly time-gating.
- 10 Jan. 2020: Guide added.
- Hunter Stable Size Increased to 205 Slots in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34972: Class Changes
- Tyrannical Affix No Longer Affects Boss Mobs in Shadowlands
- Priest Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Shaman Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Changes to Combat Potions on the Shadowlands Alpha
- Demon Hunter Shadowlands Major Class Changes: July 1st
- An Update on Pelagos' Pronouns on the Shadowlands Alpha