Fire Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Dragonflight 10.2
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
Fire Mage in Mythic+
Fire Mage is a great choice for Mythic+. It can focus on priority targets during Combustion, has great cleave capabilities and can opt into uncapped AoE Flame Patch and Flamestrike.
The only downside for Fire is that you have to opt into a full-on AoE build at the cost of single-target DPS or opt into a more single-target focused build, with great cleave. Generally, for Mythic+, the AoE-focused build is preferred unless you are doing small pulls. However, the cleave build is also definitely a good option for Tyrannical weeks.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our Dragonflight Mythic+ Season 3 page below.
Fire Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Although the base rotations outlined in the standard rotation page still apply to Mythic+, Mythic+ usually has different types of damage requirements than raids do. If you are unsure about the standard rotations of Fire, check out our rotation page below.
If you go by the "standard" Mythic+ build, your rotation on packs is identical to the AoE build on the rotation page.
Fire Mage Utility
The main reason to bring a Fire Mage to a Mythic+ group is for its damage, but aside from that, it also has some very valuable utility, which makes every Mythic+ group want at least one Mage:
- Arcane Intellect is a big boost for both the other caster DPS in the group, as well as additional healing for the healer.
- Time Warp is a required cooldown for any Mythic+ group.
- Remove Curse can be useful to dispel Curses in some dungeons.
- A Fire Mage can add a lot of crowd control in the form of Dragon's Breath, Polymorph, Blast Wave, Ice Nova, Ring of Frost, or even Mass Slow.
- Spellsteal can be useful in some dungeons to remove dangerous buffs from enemy targets. Sometimes it can also be used as a big DPS boost for the Arcane Mage by Spellstealing beneficial buffs that increase your damage.
- Mass Barrier can be brought as a decent defensive cooldown for the group.
- Mass Invisibility can be very useful to skip certain packs.
Mythic+ Talents for Fire Mage
We generally suggest going the heavy AoE Flamestrike based build for Mythic+. However, the cleave build is also definitely a good option for Tyrannical weeks.
You can easily import the talent trees below into the game with the "Copy export string" button.
AoE based Mythic+ Build
Cleave based Mythic+ Build
There are a couple of options when it comes to setting up your talent tree for Mythic+. Below, we will go over some of the changes you could make to the above trees.
Class Talent Tree Options
- Replace Mass Invisibility for Mass Barrier if your dungeon route does not require the ability to skip enemy packs, or if you have a Rogue in the group who can provide group stealth instead.
- Replace Temporal Warp for Time Anomaly if you are going to be holding onto Time Warp or similar effects for a long time and not using them close to on cooldown.
- Replace Remove Curse for any defensive talent of your choice when there are no Curses to dispel in the dungeon, you plan to do, or if someone else will handle the dispelling.
- Replace Spellsteal for any defensive talent of your choice when there are no buffs worth dispelling in the dungeon you plan to do.
- Replace Ring of Frost and/or Ice Nova for any defensive talent of your choice if you do not need the extra crowd control.
- Replace Blast Wave for any defensive talent of your choosing. Both function as AoE interrupts, so we generally suggest not removing these unless you are 100% certain all interrupts will be handled without you.
- Opt out of Ice Cold (and the nodes leading to it) for any defensive nodes of your choosing if you need the immunity of Ice Block for the dungeon you are doing.
Fire Mage Talent Tree Options
- Switch to the cleave-oriented build instead of the heavy AoE build if you want to focus more on priority target and single target DPS.
- There are some small changes you can make to move in between the AoE and
cleave builds that will let let you do a bit more boss damage at the cost of
some AoE damage:
- Swap Phoenix Reborn to Firestarter for more boss damage at the cost of AoE damage
- Swap one point of Critical Mass to Improved Scorch for more boss damage at the cost of some AoE damage
Trinket Considerations for Fire Mage in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself on Raidbots using the Patchwerk option for raids and single-target and selecting multiple boss targets for simulating Mythic+ or add target fights. Usually, we recommend using trinkets that proc stats rather than single-target damage dealers for Mythic+.
You can also get a quick overview of good Mythic+ Trinkets on our Gearing page, specifically the Simulation chart for multi-target scenarios.
Mythic+ Tier List
For an opinion list of how Fire fares against other DPS specs in Mythic+, please see our Tier List page:
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated talents for 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 01 Aug. 2023: Updated talent choice between improved scorch and critical mass instead of meteor.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated talents suggestions, rotation and utility for after the 10.1.5 Fire rework.
- 12 Jun. 2023: Fix talent import string.
- 01 May 2023: Updated talents based on new optimal talents and removed mentions to the Flamestrike build as it is now too behind to consider, and removed mentions about thundering.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7 and provided some small phrasing tweaks.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Classic Community Council Chat: December 8th
- Ashenvale PvP Event Bug Being Worked On
- New Night Elf Child Model Added in Patch 10.2.5
- Updated Map of Amirdrassil on the 10.2.5 PTR
- Dark Ranger General's (Sylvanas) Transmog Set in Patch 10.2.5
- Bel'ameth is A Neutral City in Patch 10.2.5
- Patch 10.2.5 Development Notes: December 8th
- Shadowfang Keep Soloed By Metamorphosis Warlock in Season of Discovery