Fire Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.1
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1.
Fire Mage in Mythic+
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 2 page below.
Fire Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Although the base rotations outlined in the standard rotation page still apply to Mythic+, Mythic+ usually has different types of damage requirements than raids do. If you are unsure about the standard rotations of Fire, check out our rotation page below.
The main decision to be made on most packs is whether you focus down a priority target by using your Hot Streaks on Pyroblast or on Flamestrike. Focusing down a priority target still does decent AoE damage by spreading Mastery: Ignite via Phoenix Flames, but the overall DPS will be lower than spending your Hot Streaks on Flamestrike. Generally, you will want to burst down priority targets first, but if all enemies in a pack are roughly equal priority, you will want to use Flamestrike instead. If you are running Flame Patch, you will also want to hardcast (cast without Hot Streak) Flamestrike from 3 targets and up if you decide to go the AoE damage route instead of priority damage route.
Fire Mage Utility
The main reason to bring a Fire Mage to a Mythic+ group is for its damage, but aside from that, it also has some very valuable utility which makes every Mythic+ group want at least one Mage:
- Arcane Intellect is a big boost for both the other caster DPS in the group, as well as additional healing for the healer.
- Time Warp is a required cooldown for any Mythic+ group.
- Remove Curse can be useful to dispel Curses in some dungeons.
- A Fire Mage adds some crowd-control in the form of Polymorph and Dragon's Breath.
- Spellsteal can be useful in some dungeons to remove dangerous buffs from enemy targets. Sometimes it can also be used as a big DPS boost for the Fire Mage by Spellstealing beneficial buffs that increase your damage.
Mythic+ Talents for Fire Mage
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+, these talents are recommended for all groups and keys at the current time.
|15||✗ Firestarter||✗ Pyromaniac||✓ Searing Touch|
|25||✗ Blazing Soul||✓ Shimmer||✗ Blast Wave|
|30||? Incanter's Flow||✗ Focus Magic||✓ Rune of Power|
|35||✓ Flame On||✗ Alexstrasza's Fury||✗ From the Ashes|
|40||✓ Frenetic Speed||✗ Ice Ward||✗ Ring of Frost|
|45||✓ Flame Patch||✗ Conflagration||✗ Living Bomb|
|50||✓ Kindling||✗ Pyroclasm||✗ Meteor|
Shadowlands Season 2 Affix: Tormented
Tormented is the seasonal affix in season 2, that is active in all +10 or higher Mythic+ dungeons. Fire Mages do not specifically manage these in any special way, however, it is generally a good idea to have cooldowns available for them (even just a Rune of Power stack helps a lot), especially Incinerator Arkolath, as the group wide damage he does is very high.
Below we have listed the best Anima Powers to take as a Fire Mage:
- Soggodon the Breaker: The Stone Ward
- Incinerator Arkolath: Champion's Brand
- Oros Coldheart: Handbook of Uncivil Etiquette for maximum DPS, but I generally suggest taking Vial of Desperation for survability instead
- ExecutionerVarruth: Volcanic Plumage is incredible for Fortified weeks, or any dungeon where you do large AoE pulls, due to the crowd control it provides. Dagger of Necrotic Wounding is best for Tyrannical weeks if you do not need the additional crowd control on packs.
Trinket Considerations for Fire Mage in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself on Raidbots using the Patchwerk option for raids and single-target, and selecting multiple boss targets for simulating Mythic+ or add target fights. Usually, we recommend using trinkets that proc stats, rather than single-target damage dealers for Mythic+.
You can also get a quick overview of good Mythic+ Trinkets on our Gearing page, specifically the Simulation chart for multi-target scenarios.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Added Anima Power tips.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for season 2.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands season 1.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A New Tradition: Celebrate a Change of Seasons With a Tree Gathering
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40290 Class Changes
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: September 23rd
- In Celebration Of Diablo 2: Resurrected, We're Discounting Our Premium Subscription
- Patch 9.1.5 PTR Notes: September 23rd
- Shadowlands 9.1 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Week 11
- Rogue Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40290)
- Priest Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40290)