Fire Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Dragonflight 10.1
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.1.
Fire Mage in Mythic+
Fire Mage is a great choice for Mythic+. It can focus on priority targets during Combustion, has great cleave capabilities and can opt into uncapped AoE Flame Patch and Flamestrike.
The only downside for Fire is that you have to opt into a full-on AoE build at the cost of single-target DPS or opt into a more single-target focused build, with great cleave. Generally, the cleave build is preferred, as it only does a little bit less AoE DPS while doing significantly more single-target DPS.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our Dragonflight Mythic+ Season 1 page below.
Fire Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Although the base rotations outlined in the standard rotation page still apply to Mythic+, Mythic+ usually has different types of damage requirements than raids do. If you are unsure about the standard rotations of Fire, check out our rotation page below.
If you go by the "standard" Mythic+ build, your rotation on packs is pretty much identical to the single target rotation on the page listed above. We do not currently suggest opting into a Flamestrike build, as these builds simply give up too much single-target DPS without even gaining any AoE damage.
Fire Mage Utility
The main reason to bring a Fire Mage to a Mythic+ group is for its damage, but aside from that, it also has some very valuable utility which makes every Mythic+ group wants at least one Mage:
- Arcane Intellect is a big boost for both the other caster DPS in the group, as well as additional healing for the healer.
- Time Warp is a required cooldown for any Mythic+ group.
- Remove Curse can be useful to dispel Curses in some dungeons.
- A Fire Mage can add a lot of crowd control in the form of Dragon's Breath, Polymorph, Blast Wave, Ice Nova, Ring of Frost, or even Mass Slow.
- Spellsteal can be useful in some dungeons to remove dangerous buffs from enemy targets. Sometimes it can also be used as a big DPS boost for the Arcane Mage by Spellstealing beneficial buffs that increase your damage.
Mythic+ Talents for Fire Mage
You can easily import the talent trees below into the game with the "Copy export string" button.
As you can see from the tree above, basically all of the AoE nodes (right side of the tree) are skipped. This is because spreading high Mastery: Ignites is simply a better way to do AoE damage on almost all target counts, and we simply do not have the points to spec into the right side of the tree.
There are a couple of options when it comes to setting up your talent tree for Mythic+. Below we will go over some of the changes you could make to the above trees.
Class Talent Tree Options
- Replace Temporal Warp for Time Anomaly if you are going to be holding onto Time Warp or similar effects for a long time and not using them close to on cooldown.
- Replace Remove Curse for any defensive talent of your choice when there are no Curses to dispel in the dungeon you plan to do or if someone else will handle the dispelling.
- Replace Spellsteal for any defensive talent of your choice when there are no buffs worth dispelling in the dungeon you plan to do.
- Replace Ring of Frost and/or Ice Nova for any defensive talent of your choice if you do not need the extra crowd control.
- Replace Blast Wave for any defensive talent of your choosing. Both function as AoE interrupts, so we generally suggest not removing these unless you are 100% certain all interrupts will be handled without you.
Fire Mage Talent Tree Options
Below, we will list the adaptations to the single target/cleave oriented build that you could make based on your personal preference:
- Replace Cauterize for either Fevered Incantation for more single target/cleave DPS, or Phoenix Reborn for more AoE DPS.
Trinket Considerations for Fire Mage in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself on Raidbots using the Patchwerk option for raids and single-target and selecting multiple boss targets for simulating Mythic+ or add target fights. Usually, we recommend using trinkets that proc stats, rather than single-target damage dealers for Mythic+.
You can also get a quick overview of good Mythic+ Trinkets on our Gearing page, specifically the Simulation chart for multi-target scenarios.
Mythic+ Tier List
For an opinion list of how Fire fares against other DPS specs in Mythic+, please see our Tier List page:
- 01 May 2023: Updated talents based on new optimal talents and removed mentions to the Flamestrike build as it is now too behind to consider, and removed mentions about thundering.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7 and provided some small phrasing tweaks.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Mage Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- Catalyst Item Level Break Points in Dragonflight Season 2
- Shadowlands LFR Solo Queue Option Coming in Patch 10.1.5?
- Galakrond's Head Compared to the Size of Stormwind and Deathwing
- Dragonflight Season 2 DPS Log Rankings for Aberrus, Week 3
- New Victorious Scourge and Sons of Hodir Tabards in Patch 10.1.5
- WoW Prop Hunt Game in Unreal Engine 5
- New Malygos Model in Patch 10.1
- Dragonflight 10.1 Weekly Hotfix Summary: May 22nd - May 28th