How To Improve As Fire Mage — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, you will find out how you can improve at playing Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2. We list the common mistakes that you should try to avoid and the small details that can greatly improve your performance.
1. Having Low Downtime
As a Fire Mage, due to having filler spells, there is always something you could be casting. Which means, any time you are not casting something, you lose lots of damage. This is most often due to movement. Many people end up casting a lot of Scorch while moving; although this is better than not casting anything at all, Scorch deals very little damage, so there are multiple other better ways to deal with movement.
The first one is not Fire Mage specific, but it goes for all casters. Plan your movement. If you know that in 10 seconds you need to be at a specific position, you should use the Global Cooldown of any instants that you use in your normal rotation to slowly move to that position. Since Fire Mages use quite a lot of instants, especially Pyroblast, you can stutter step towards your desired location during the Global Cooldown.
The second one is quite obvious, but often not optimized properly, and it is Shimmer usage. Shimmer will not interrupt your cast, and should thus always be used over interrupting your cast and manually moving, when possible. If a patch of fire spawns under your feet, you can simply Shimmer out of it. Wherever possible, try to rely on Shimmer before relying on Scorch.
2. Not Using Combustion / Rune of Power at the Wrong Time
Combustion, especially combined with Rune of Power, is a big portion of your damage as a Fire Mage. Which means if you activate Rune of Power and Combustion, and promptly have to move a lot, especially out of your Rune of Power, you will lose enormous amounts of damage. Make sure that you watch Boss Mod timers, to ensure as little mechanics as possible overlapping with your DPS cooldowns.
3. Knowing How To Sim Yourself
It is impossible to correctly play and optimize a Fire Mage without using Raidbots to sim your own character. There are simply too many variables involved to intuitively figure out what gear to wear and so on without simming it first. Generally speaking, a simulation should be the first and final say in the gear you end up wearing for any given situation.
Simming is now very easy with no need to understand SimulationCraft syntax or installation yourself. All you will need is the in-game SimulationCraft AddOn, and the Raidbots website. Below you can find a video on how to sim your own character using the website.
4. Analyzing Your Mistakes as a Fire Mage
When it comes to identifying and improving your mistakes, we strongly recommend the website WoWAnalyzer — it will analyze your logs and give you a report detailing how you did on the problems above and more.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: June 26th
- Runelocked Chest World Quest Change Coming
- Rise of Azshara Crossroads Cutscene
- Anima of Life and Death - Heart of Azeroth Essence Spotlight
- 8.2 Azerite Essence Rank 4 Animations
- Patch 8.2: Undocumented Changes
- Fabious Underwater Mount Secret Discovered
- Quest Reward Ilvl Change, Essence Clarification, Mobile App Update
- Wrong info on the website about Azerite gear patch 8.2
- Sustained DPS
- Protection Warrior 8.1.5
- Enhancement Shaman 8.1.5
- Essence Guide
- Patch 8.2 Tailoring Changes
- Patch 8.2 Leatherworking Changes
- Patch 8.2 Jewelcrafting Changes