Frost Mage DPS Gems, Enchants, and Consumables — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, we list the best gems, enchants, flasks, potions, and food you can get for your Frost Mage, based on your stat priority. We also give budget alternatives. This page is updated for World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
If you were looking for WotLK Classic content, please refer to our WotLK Classic Frost Mage gems and enchants.
Item Quality Ranks
Profession Consumable Ranks
As part of Dragonflight's overhaul of Professions, many crafted items and consumables may have multiple ranks of quality that impact their effects. For consumables, there are potentially three ranks of an item that may be used, with Rank 3 items (shown as item level 415 in-game and with three gold stars) providing the most powerful bonuses. However, higher quality consumables will generally be more expensive and not always necessary depending on the content you are doing. You should be willing to use whatever rank of an item is most within your budget, and save higher-quality consumables for content where you will really need the extra boost!
If you would like to learn more about quality ranks on profession items, or the overhaul to professions as a whole, please see our overview below.
You should always take the highest rank available to you.
Best Gems for Frost Mage
You should use Skillful Illimited Diamond in one socket, and Keen Neltharite in all other sockets. At higher gear levels, this will change to Sensei's Neltharite. The difference will be minor, but keep in mind that your sims may change your gem selection somewhere around the 430 range.
Best Enchants for Frost Mage
Keep in mind that you should sim your character to find out which secondary stat is best for your gear. It may change from the suggestions below depending on various factors. More information on how stats work and interact with Frost Mage can be found here:
|Rings||Enchant Ring - Devotion of Mastery or Enchant Ring - Writ of Mastery (cheaper)|
|Weapon||Enchant Weapon - Sophic Devotion or Enchant Weapon - Earthen Writ (cheaper)|
|Chest||Enchant Chest - Waking Stats|
|Bracers||Enchant Bracer - Devotion of Avoidance|
|Belt||Shadowed Belt Clasp|
|Cloak||Enchant Cloak - Graceful Avoidance|
|Boots||Enchant Boots - Watcher's Loam|
|Legs||Frozen Spellthread, or Vibrant Spellthread (cheaper)|
Consumables for Frost Mage
Best Phials and Potions for Frost
Elemental Potion of Ultimate Power is the best potion to use. Elemental Potion of Power is about 0.3% behind, however, and a great cost saver.
Iced Phial of Corrupting Rage should be used as your Phial of choice. In theory, Phial of Static Empowerment is best, but in practice, it seems to have enough downtime that Corrupting Rage will pull ahead.
Phial of Tepid Versatility is a decent option as well, especially for higher-level Mythic+ keys, as the static Versatility is a massive boon from a defensive standpoint.
Hissing Rune is usually the better of the temporary runes. However, the difference between them is tiny. There are certain gear points late in the 10.2 season where Howling Rune will actually be marginally better, but in a practical sense, use whichever you have on hand.
Healthstones heal for 25% of the user's maximum health. Dreamwalker's Healing Potion does not share a cooldown with Healthstones and should also be used when extra healing is required.
Potion of Withering Dreams heals for about twice as much health as a Dreamwalker's Healing Potion and shares the same cooldown. However, you will suffer the same amount healed as damage over time.
Best Food for Frost
Grand Banquet of the Kalu'ak (or any 76 Intellect buff) is the best food option, followed by Sizzling Seafood Medley, and then Salt-Baked Fishcake. The difference is about 1% between them, but the Intellect food is best once you start pushing out of the initial levelling gear.
Augment Runes for Frost
In addition, if you can afford it, you should use Draconic Augment Runes to increase your primary stat. Since there is a finite amount of the consumable runes available, you should make sure to use them wisely and to stock up on them for when you need them.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated with 10.2's consumables and new head enchant.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated for 10.1.5 with new phial and weapon rune suggestions.
- 01 May 2023: Added the new belt enchant.
- 23 Mar. 2023: Updated Primordial Stone section with new recommendations due to hotfix changes.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Added notes about Primordial Stones.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 10 Jan. 2023: Updated Phial choice, and added Rune choice.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for beginning of Dragonflight Season 1 with weapon enchant and food choice changes.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)