Frost Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.2.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5.
Frost Mage in Mythic+
Frost Mage is highly valued in Mythic+. It is one of the better 2 target cleave specs, and has incredible AoE damage. In terms of utility it brings Arcane Intellect for your casters and healers, Remove Curse as minor utility, and the best AoE slows in the game.
Frost Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content, compared to raid content. For more information about the Frost Mage DPS rotations, refer back to the Rotation page, found here:
AoEing effectively is key to most of your damage in Mythic+. Most of your AoE is going to be concentrated into Frozen Orb, so understanding how it behaves versus a pack of trash is important. It will slow down on impact with the first target in its radius, so it is usually somewhat beneficial to be almost in melee range to ensure that it is ticking on the whole pack, rather than just the edge of the pack. In addition, Frozen Orb has a fairly high spell power coefficient, so do not feel bad popping cooldowns or trinkets to vastly increase the damage of Frozen Orb.
Frozen Orb also procs Icy Propulsion per-mob, per-tick. You can take advantage of this by throwing Frost Nova into a pack that it is currently ticking on. While the freeze itself will only last just slightly longer than 1 second, Frozen Orb ticks every half-second. This means that you will get at least 2 ticks per mob frozen to benefit from Shatter, thus helping reduce the cooldown on Icy Veins, sometimes drastically so. Utilizing this can allow you to have Icy Veins available almost every pack if you are pulling either quickly, or multiple packs at once.
Arcane Explosion can be a great boon for AoE damage, but you must be able to conserve Mana, lest you be unable to continue even the base single target rotation. Additionally, if Spellsteal is needed, that adds an even greater constraint on your Mana usage of Arcane Explosion.
Frost Mage Utility
Frost Mage provides support for the party through excellent cleave damage, raid buffs, and other additional effects such as mob management and immunity cheesing of mechanics.
- Ice Block can be used to soak mechanics that would otherwise inconvenience or kill other party members.
- Remove Curse allows you to remove curses, a fairly rare power limited to Druids and Restoration Shaman.
- Arcane Intellect grants your party 5% Intellect, a sizable throughput benefit to your casters and healer.
- Time Warp gives your group that extra DPS push.
- With Frigid Winds you have access to the best AoE slow in the game through Cone of Cold, and one of the top single target slows attached to your primary spell.
- Polymorph, Frost Nova, Ring of Frost, and Freeze all give you varying types of crowd control.
- Alter Time, as elsewhere in the game, has the potential to cheese multiple positional mechanics or take pressure off your healers.
Mythic+ Talents for Frost Mages
As stated on the Talent page, Frost's talents are hard set for every scenario. What you're using in raid is what you're using in Mythic+. See our Talent page for more information:
Shadowlands Season 4 Affix: Shrouded
This affix changes a mob into a Dreadlord on many pulls. Killing it successfully will grant you secondary stats of your choice. You pick which stat to gain at the beginning of the dungeon. Bounty: Haste is the best throughput, but Bounty: Versatility on higher level keys is likely an incredibly good option as the defensive benefit of Versatility is going to be heavily valued against mechanics that are so strong as to one shot. See our detailed explanation here:
Legion Timewalking Affix: Infernal
Legion Timewalking adds the option to run Legion-era Mythic+, which replaces the seasonal affix with Infernal. This affix adds three beacons near specific bosses that spawns a commander and waves of adds.
- 03 Aug. 2022: Updated stat pick for Shrouded affix due to having tested it.
- 29 Jul. 2022: Updated for Season 4 and Shrouded affix.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Jan. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Added suggestions for Tormented, and added preliminary information about Infernal.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Evoker Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Mythic+ Tier List for Shadowlands Season 4 (Week 9)
- Mythic Dungeons and Raid Finder Drop Blue Quality Gear in Dragonflight
- Warlock Gladiator/Elite PvP Sets in Dragonflight
- Druid Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Demon Hunter Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- WoW TCG Loot (Only) on Dragonflight Beta, Even if You Don't Own It
- Priest Gladiator/Elite PvP Sets in Dragonflight