Frost Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.0.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.5.
Frost Mage in Mythic+
Frost Mage is highly valued in Mythic+. It's one of the better 2 target cleave specs, and has formidable AoE damage. In terms of utility it brings Arcane Intellect for your casters and healers, Remove Curse as minor utility, and the best AoE slows in the game.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, or affixes you can read more about it on our Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 1 page below.
Frost Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content, compared to raid content. For more information about the Frost Mage DPS rotations, refer back to the Rotation page, found here:
AoEing effectively is key to most of your damage in Mythic+. Most of your AoE is going to be concentrated into Frozen Orb, so understanding how it behaves versus a pack of trash is important. It will slow down on impact with the first target in its radius, so it is usually somewhat beneficial to be almost in melee range to ensure that it is ticking on the whole pack, rather than just the edge of the pack. In addition, Frozen Orb has a fairly high spell power coefficient, so do not feel bad popping cooldowns or trinkets to vastly increase the damage of Frozen Orb.
Arcane Explosion can be a great boon for AoE damage, but you must be able to conserve Mana, lest you be unable to continue even the base single target rotation. Additionally, if Spellsteal is needed, that adds an even greater constraint on your Mana usage of Arcane Explosion.
Frost Mage Utility
Frost Mage provides support for the party through excellent cleave damage, raid buffs, and other additional effects such as mob management and immunity cheesing of mechanics.
- Ice Block can be used to soak mechanics that would otherwise inconvenience or kill other party members.
- Remove Curse allows you to remove curses, a fairly rare power limited to Druids and Restoration Shaman.
- Arcane Intellect grants your party 5% Intellect, a sizable throughput benefit to your casters and healer.
- Time Warp gives your group that extra DPS push.
- With Frigid Winds you have access to the best AoE slow in the game through Cone of Cold, and one of the top single target slows attached to your primary spell.
- Polymorph, Frost Nova, Ring of Frost, and Freeze all give you varying types of crowd control.
- Alter Time, as elsewhere in the game, has the potential to cheese multiple positional mechanics or take pressure off your healers.
Mythic+ Talents for Frost Mages
As stated on the Talent page, Frost's talents are hard set for every scenario. What you're using in raid is what you're using in Mythic+. See our Talent page for more information:
Shadowlands Season 1 Affix: Prideful
While there is nothing particularly Mage-specific to this affix, it should be noted that a 30% damage boost will be ridiculously powerful boon for the next pull. It would be a good idea to try and hold onto at least a charge of Rune of Power, if not Icy Veins itself, for the pull directly afterwards.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- The Grim Fate of Mekgineer Thermaplugg in Patch 9.1
- Pirate Dragon Mount: Yay or Nay?
- Shadowlands 9.0.5 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings and Analysis: Week 6: Major and Chaotic Changes
- The Lucky Ones: 2 Mounts from 1 Gul'dan Kill, Somehow Beaten by an Insane Paragon Chest
- Character Transfers Temporarily Closed in WoW Classic
- Will Torghast Have a New Currency in Patch 9.1?
- The Lowest Mythic Wipe in WoW History?
- Patch 9.1 Raid Testing Schedule: April 22nd