Frost Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5.
Frost Mage in Mythic+
Frost Mage is highly valued in Mythic+. It's one of the better 2 target cleave specs, and has formidable AoE damage. In terms of utility it brings Arcane Intellect for your casters and healers, Remove Curse as minor utility, and the best AoE slows in the game.
Frost Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Frost Mage DPS rotations, refer back to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
That said, most of the AoE damage Frost can put out is concentrated into a Shattered Comet Storm. Comet Storm will deal damage 1 second after it has been cast, and roots will break approximately 1 second after they are applied. Thus, if you cast Freeze either just as the first comet is impacting, or just after, you should gain Shatter benefits on 4-5 comets.
Frost Mage Utility
Frost Mage provides support for the party through excellent cleave damage, raid buffs, and other additional effects such as mob management and immunity cheesing of mechanics.
- Ice Block can be used to soak mechanics that would otherwise inconvenience or kill other party members.
- Remove Curse allows you to remove curses, a fairly rare power limited to Druids and Restoration Shaman.
- Arcane Intellect grants your party 10% Intellect, a sizable throughput benefit to your casters and healer.
- Time Warp gives your group that extra DPS push.
- With Frigid Winds you have access to the best AoE slow in the game through Cone of Cold, and one of the top single target slows attached to your primary spell.
- Polymorph, Frost Nova, Ring of Frost, and Freeze all give you varying types of crowd control.
Mythic+ Talents for Frost Mages
Most talents are viable in Mythic+. Depending on your specific group make up, you may choose to focus heavier on single target rather than AoE, or perhaps more on short term burst over longer duration stability. For the most part, anything you would pick for raiding will carry over easily enough.
Rune of Power is actually rather interesting in Mythic+ given almost all of our AoE burst is within 10 seconds. It is definitely fun in lower keystones, but Incanter's Flow will be better in most higher keys due to length of encounters, and the need to move out of mechanics that will actually kill you.
The vast majority of the time you will be changing the level 90 talent. The rest of your build will carry over from raiding. Comet Storm offers AoE burst, where Splitting Ice is preferred for its single target performance. Freezing Rain is viable if you are pulling large amounts of trash at once and need the sustained AoE. The choice will depend on key level, how large your tank intends to pull, your teammates, and what dungeon it is.
A good general use Splitting Ice. This should cover most pick-up-group scenarios, and just about all keys ten and below.
The way Mythic+ affixes are tiered in Battle for Azeroth has changed quite a bit since their launch in Legion.
There are now three weekly affixes and one seasonal affix. The first affix available instantly at level two, the second affix starts at level four, the third affix enabled at level seven, and finally the seasonal affix at level ten.
Tier One Affixes
- Fortified increases the Health pool of all non-boss enemies by 20% and damage dealt by 30%.
- Tyrannical increases the Health pool of boss enemies by 40% and their damage dealt by 15%.
Fortified and Tyrannical are the two affixes every player will see. These affixes shift the focus of dungeons from boss to trash depending on the week. During Tyrannical weeks players may want to take more single target and sustained damage oriented talents, but that will be both dungeon and key level dependent.
Tier Two Affixes
- Raging increases the damage dealt by enemies below 30% by 100% until they die. Your slows and freezes will come in handy if your tank dies when a pack is nearly dead due to the extra damage output. Kite, your life depends on it.
- Teeming adds additional trash mobs to certain packs throughout each dungeon.
- Bolstering buffs remaining enemies Health pools and damage dealt by 20% when an enemy dies nearby. To counter this affix, DPS all mobs down evenly and focus your casts into high Health mobs if there are any. Bolstering's range is 30 yards and you can hold a mob out of range through either Polymorph, or any of your roots, to prevent that mob from gaining stacks while others die.
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when a mob is slain. This pool will heal remaining enemies who stay inside the zone and also damage players. Take care to not utilize heavy slows during these weeks, and possibly spec out of Frigid Winds entirely so mobs get out of the pools quicker.
- Bursting forces enemy mobs to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their max Health in damage every four seconds. Ice Block will drop stacks applied to you if you are in danger of dying due to an uncontrolled amount of mobs dying.
Tier Three Affixes
- Volcanic spawns volcanic plumes underneath and around players when in combat with any enemy. When damaged by Volcanic, players suffer 50% of their maximum Health pool in damage. The more enemies you are in combat with, the more Volcanoes that will spawn. Ice Floes is fantastic at countering this, since you only need to sidestep slightly in most cases.
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking DoT when they fall below 90%. Ice Block will not drop the stacks, but it will make you immune to the damage, giving your healer a chance to recover.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum Health in damage to each player caught in the zone as well as interrupting any hard casts being finished during the shockwave. Try and Ice Barrier before it goes off to counter the damage taken, as Ice Barrier holds 22% of your total health.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not able to be cleaved, nor do they take damage from AoE, and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies in combat. The damage can be prevented by being out of line of sight to the orb that explodes, however. It should be noted, that while you cannot cleave onto the Explosive Orb from another mob, you can cleave off of them using Splitting Ice.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction and minor DoT. This is Frost's favoured affix. Slow everything, and let the tank run away to drop stacks. 85% AoE slow on Cone of Cold with Frigid Winds is the best in the game, utilize it.
- Skittish reduces the amount of threat generated by tanks throughout the dungeon. Invisibility will drop your threat once you fully fade out, but is of questionable use given the long duration to fully fade.
Beguiling has set spawns throughout the dungeon. There are three different adds which must be handled in certain ways.
- Void-Touched Emissary — This unit attempts to cast an uninterruptable AoE. Every time it completes its cast, it will increase the damage of the next cast by 50%. Ice Barrier, Ice Block, and moving line-of-sight will save you on the third cast, although it should not be allowed to get this far.
- Enchanted Emissary — This unit reflects the damage you deal to all mobs around it. Any attack will knock it away, and it will teleport out of the dungeon after 20 seconds. A quick Ice Lance is more than enough to push it away.
- Emissary of the Tides — This unit makes the mobs around it immune to Crowd Control; however, you can Crowd Control this mob and pull the rest of the pack backwards. Crowd Control has a reduced effectiveness on Emissary of the Tides, following the PVP reduction to 8 seconds maximum, but without the diminishing returns. After 25 seconds, it will have teleport away. Freeze and Frost Nova are both quite valuable if your group does not have something with a spammable root, such as a Druid.
Mythic+ Azerite Traits
Almost all the Frost Mage traits are linked to single target spells. While some are fine to use in general, there are a couple of outliers:
- Packed Ice and Flash Freeze are both quite strong in general, depending on your chosen build. Given that dungeon trash mobs will give you plenty of Frozen Orb resets, Packed Ice gains significantly in comparison to most scenarios.
- Whiteout is not a bad trait if you're running Splitting Ice, for the extra Ice Lance damage. The Frozen Orb cooldown reduction is minor compared to Blizzard tick cooldown reduction.
- Tunnel of Ice should be avoided if possible for Mythic+. It is single target, attached to a hard cast, and the buff resets on hitting a new target ensuring you'll never get much benefit from it in this situation.
- 09 Aug. 2019: Clarified some talent suggestions.
- 08 Jul. 2019: Added Season 3 affix information.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 03 Feb. 2019: Updated for the Season 2 affix, Reaping.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Removed mention of Winter's Reach and added mention of Flash Freeze. Updated for 8.1.
- 16 Oct. 2018: Updated with some notes on Splitting Ice vs Comet Storm, and details on Frost vs Spawn of G'huun.
- 06 Aug. 2018: Updated with preliminary BfA tips.
- Jokerd Removed from Method Org After Ninja Looting
- Pet Battle Changes in 8.3: Visions of N'zoth (Official Preview)
- N'Zoth Raid Testing Streams
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- Fire Mage 8.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.2
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Holy Priest 8.2
- What’s the better PC?
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk