Frost Mage DPS Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.1
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1.
Frost Mage in Mythic+
Frost Mage is highly valued in Mythic+. It's one of the better 2 target cleave specs, and has formidable AoE damage. In terms of utility it brings Arcane Intellect for your casters and healers, Remove Curse as minor utility, and the best AoE slows in the game.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, or affixes you can read more about it on our Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 2 page below.
Frost Mage Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content, compared to raid content. For more information about the Frost Mage DPS rotations, refer back to the Rotation page, found here:
AoEing effectively is key to most of your damage in Mythic+. Most of your AoE is going to be concentrated into Frozen Orb, so understanding how it behaves versus a pack of trash is important. It will slow down on impact with the first target in its radius, so it is usually somewhat beneficial to be almost in melee range to ensure that it is ticking on the whole pack, rather than just the edge of the pack. In addition, Frozen Orb has a fairly high spell power coefficient, so do not feel bad popping cooldowns or trinkets to vastly increase the damage of Frozen Orb.
Frozen Orb also procs Icy Propulsion per-mob, per-tick. You can take advantage of this by throwing Frost Nova into a pack that it is currently ticking on. While the freeze itself will only last just slightly longer than 1 second, Frozen Orb ticks every half-second. This means that you will get at least 2 ticks per mob frozen to benefit from Shatter, thus helping reduce the cooldown on Icy Veins, sometimes drastically so. Utilizing this can allow you to have Icy Veins available almost every pack if you are pulling either quickly, or multiple packs at once.
Arcane Explosion can be a great boon for AoE damage, but you must be able to conserve Mana, lest you be unable to continue even the base single target rotation. Additionally, if Spellsteal is needed, that adds an even greater constraint on your Mana usage of Arcane Explosion.
Frost Mage Utility
Frost Mage provides support for the party through excellent cleave damage, raid buffs, and other additional effects such as mob management and immunity cheesing of mechanics.
- Ice Block can be used to soak mechanics that would otherwise inconvenience or kill other party members.
- Remove Curse allows you to remove curses, a fairly rare power limited to Druids and Restoration Shaman.
- Arcane Intellect grants your party 5% Intellect, a sizable throughput benefit to your casters and healer.
- Time Warp gives your group that extra DPS push.
- With Frigid Winds you have access to the best AoE slow in the game through Cone of Cold, and one of the top single target slows attached to your primary spell.
- Polymorph, Frost Nova, Ring of Frost, and Freeze all give you varying types of crowd control.
- Alter Time, as elsewhere in the game, has the potential to cheese multiple positional mechanics or take pressure off your healers.
Mythic+ Talents for Frost Mages
As stated on the Talent page, Frost's talents are hard set for every scenario. What you're using in raid is what you're using in Mythic+. See our Talent page for more information:
Shadowlands Season 2 Affix: Tormented
Optimal picks to be determined. Check back shortly after Season 2 starts.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power