Frost Mage DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we explain how to easily play Frost Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Frost Mage
Frost is a very versatile specialization, with a high degree of talent customization. Talents depending, your bars may be either rather empty or overflowing. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons necessary without compromising the output too much.
When Playing Without Lonely Winter
When playing Frost without the Lonely Winter talent selected, you want to make sure that your Summon Water Elemental is always present. It is recommended that you keep it on "Assist", so that it will automatically attack your target when you engage in combat. The Water Elemental has a Freeze ability that you need to either keybind the pet button for, or place on your normal bars. It can be found in the Pet tab of the Spellbook, and placed on your bars like any other spell. It is fairly useful out in the world, allowing you to keep mobs off of you at range. It can also be utilized for Shatter.
Talent Choice for Frost Mage
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although other talents will offer higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players compared to simpler options. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Either Bone Chilling or Lonely Winter
- Level 30: Shimmer
- Level 45: Incanter's Flow
- Level 60: Frozen Touch
- Level 75: Frigid Winds
- Level 90: Splitting Ice
- Level 100: Thermal Void
Stat Choice for Frost Mage
You should simulate your own character to get stat weights, but a decent guideline should be as follows:
- Mastery >= Critical Strike to 33.34%;
- Versatility >= Haste;
- Critical Strike beyond 33.34%.
Critical Strike will fall off after you hit 33.34% Shatter cap. This is the point where all your spells that are considered frozen, such as Ice Lance with Fingers of Frost, will always Critically Strike.
Please note, this is the stat priority for low-gear level Thermal Void usage. This is not the recommended stat priority for raiding, as raids prefer Glacial Spike. For that stat priority, see the Frost Mage Stats page.
Basic Rotation for Frost Mage
- Use your Icy Veins cooldown when possible for more damage. Keep in mind any fight mechanics that would either cause you to lose valuable casting time, or a vulnerability to take advantage of. Perhaps you do not want to pop it the second it comes up if the boss will take extra damage in a few seconds!
- Use your equipped Azerite Essence.
- Cast Frozen Orb when available to generate Fingers of Frost.
- Cast Flurry only when you have Brain Freeze.
- Cast Ice Lance to spend your Fingers of Frost charges, or directly after casting a Flurry.
- Cast Blizzard when there are 2+ targets to help your AoE damage.
- Cast Frostbolt as a filler, and to generate Fingers of Frost and Brain Freeze.
Beginner's Azerite Choices
Get Flash Freeze or Packed Ice, and Undulating Tides, if you are using Benthic tokens, and Heart of Darkness if you are using Black Empire tokens and have at least 25 Corruption. Most other traits are roughly worth the same for this build. As long as you have some of the above traits, you will be fine for a character at this level.
Beginner's Essence Choices
As a beginner, without access to raiding or PVP, you should use some combination of The Crucible of Flame, Memory of Lucid Dreams, Essence of the Focusing Iris, and Breath of the Dying. All of these are fairly easy to obtain, and roughly equal in throughput power.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Added a small note about 8.3's Azerite Essence.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Added basic Azerite notes.
- 08 Jul. 2019: Added basic Essence notes.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Added a disclaimer to the stat priority, updated for Patch 8.1.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Suspensions Coming for Green Scepter Shard Griefing
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Great Vault Mythic Dungeons Item Choices Explained
- Patch 8.3.7 and Classic Hotfixes: July 31st
- Ectoplasmic Distiller Hotfix: July 31st
- Night Elf Male Blindfold Customization Option in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.1 Build 35360: Class Changes