Frost Mage DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, we explain how to easily play Frost Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
2. The Basics for Frost Mage
Frost is a very versatile specialization, with a high degree of talent customization. Talents depending, your bars may be either rather empty or overflowing. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons necessary without compromising the output too much.
2.1. When Playing Without Lonely Winter
When playing Frost without the Lonely Winter talent selected, you want to make sure that your Summon Water Elemental is always present. It is recommended that you keep it on "Assist", so that it will automatically attack your target when you engage in combat. The Water Elemental has a Freeze ability that you need to either keybind the pet button for, or place on your normal bars. It can be found in the Pet tab of the Spellbook, and placed on your bars like any other spell. It is fairly useful out in the world, allowing you to keep mobs off of you at range. It can also be utilized for Shatter.
3. Talent Choice for Frost Mage
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although other talents will offer higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players compared to simpler options. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Either Bone Chilling or Lonely Winter
- Level 30: Shimmer
- Level 45: Incanter's Flow
- Level 60: Frozen Touch
- Level 75: Frigid Winds
- Level 90: Splitting Ice
- Level 100: Thermal Void
4. Stat Choice for Frost Mage
You should simulate your own character to get stat weights, but a decent guideline should be as follows:
- Mastery >= Critical Strike to 33.34%;
- Versatility >= Haste;
- Critical Strike beyond 33.34%.
Critical Strike will fall off after you hit 33.34% Shatter cap. This is the point where all your spells that are considered frozen, such as Ice Lance with Fingers of Frost, will always Critically Strike.
Please note, this is the stat priority for low-gear level Thermal Void usage. This is not the recommended stat priority for raiding, as raids prefer Glacial Spike. For that stat priority, see the Frost Mage Stats page.
5. Basic Rotation for Frost Mage
- Use your Icy Veins cooldown when possible for more damage. Keep in mind any fight mechanics that would either cause you to lose valuable casting time, or a vulnerability to take advantage of. Perhaps you do not want to pop it the second it comes up if the boss will take extra damage in a few seconds!
- Cast Frozen Orb when available to generate Fingers of Frost.
- Cast Flurry only when you have Brain Freeze.
- Cast Ice Lance to spend your Fingers of Frost charges, or directly after casting a Flurry.
- Cast Blizzard when there are 2+ targets to help your AoE damage.
- Cast Frostbolt as a filler, and to generate Fingers of Frost and Brain Freeze.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Added a disclaimer to the stat priority, updated for Patch 8.1.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- XP Off Boosting Nerf Clarification
- Patch 8.2 Heart of Azeroth Essence Guide
- Classic Stress Test 3 - Everyone from Americas and Oceania Gets Access!
- No More Level 110 Twink Boosting in Patch 8.2
- Sphere of Suppression - Heart of Azeroth Essence Spotlight
- Gathering Professions in Patch 8.2
- "Hunters" Machinima in Unreal Engine 4
- Azeroth's Undying Gift - Heart of Azeroth Essence Spotlight
- Fire Mage 8.1.5
- Who the best Healer PVE ?
- Essence Guide
- Warlock Leveling Guide
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.1.5
- Transmogrification - Warriors
- Feral, m+, wrath or bite