Holy Paladin Healing Spell Summary — Shadowlands 9.0.2
On this page, we present you with all spells and procs that you need to understand as a Holy Paladin in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.2.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Holy Paladin Healer spells.
If you are new to Holy, this is a great place to start to get an understanding of how the spec works. On this page we will discuss what abilities you have, what they are used for within the specialisation, how they interact with each other and also with important cooldowns. If you already have experience with Holy and are comfortable with it in Legion, it is recommended you skip this section and move on to the rest of the guide.
Main Resource of Holy Paladins
Mana is your only resource as a Holy Paladin. All of your healing abilities cost Mana, so managing it so that you do not run out over the course of each encounter is crucial to being able to heal competitively.
You have two primary resources as a Holy Paladin, with the first being Mana. The majority of your spells cost Mana and ensuring you do not run out of it over the course of each encounter is crucial to being able to heal competitively. The second resource comes in the form of Holy Power. You generate Holy Power by using abilities like Holy Shock and Crusader Strike. Once you have generated 3 Holy Power, you can then spend it on abilities like Word of Glory and Light of Dawn. In order to be successful as a Holy Paladin, you need to ensure you are generating and spending Holy Power as well as Mana, as efficiently as possible.
Note that this page simply lists all the different abilities, assuming you are at max level. If you are leveling, check out our dedicated Holy Paladin Leveling page, which has detailed information on when you unlock all of these abilities.
Basic Abilities for Holy Paladins
These are your core skills that are available regardless of talents, and form the core gameplay of the specialization.
Beacon of Light is not a healing spell in itself, but rather a buff you place on an ally. The buffed player will receive 40% of the healing you do to all other players, and any healing done to the Beacon target directly with Holy Light and Flash of Light will refund 25% of the Mana cost. Beacon of Light can only be up on one player at a time, and you should essentially always have this buff active.
Holy Light is your most basic, single target heal. It is has a long cast time and it is relatively inexpensive.
Flash of Light is the emergency variant of Holy Light, it is more expensive and faster, and it also heals for slightly less per cast. Using Flash of Light extensively will probably be unsustainable in terms of Mana.
Holy Shock is an instant-cast single-target heal that has a 9-second cooldown, which is reduced by Haste, and a 30% increased critical strike chance. This is typically used on cooldown, as it is not expensive. This ability generates 1 Holy Power when cast.
Light of the Martyr is a strong and cheap instant-cast spell that has no cooldown, but which has the drawback of damaging you for 50% of the amount healed. Moreover, its healing does not heal the Beacon of Light target.
Light of Dawn is an instant-cast spell that costs 3 Holy Power. Light of Dawn heals up to 5 injured allies in a cone in front of you.
Word of Glory is an instant-cast spell that costs 3 Holy Power. It will heal your target for a large amount. It is one of the strongest single-target heals at our disposal.
Shield of the Righteous is an instant cast ability that consumes 3 Holy Power to do AoE damage in front of you. It also increases your armor.
For more information on how to use these abilities together in combat, please read our rotation page.
Utility for Holy Paladins
Divine Shield makes you immune to all damage and loss of control effects for 8 seconds, and is an excellent way for you to survive dangerous mechanics and continue healing your raid in the meantime.
Blessing of Freedom removes movement-impairing effects from the targeted ally, also granting them immunity to such effects for 8 seconds.
What ability you choose to use your infusion on will depend on the situation. Holy Light is one of the best heals available to us, but it does have a rather long cast time that can be difficult to weave in. If you have the chance to cast Holy Light without putting yourself in danger and without impacting the rest of your rotation, then you will want to prioritize casting that. If you are unable to safely cast it or don't have the time, you can use Flash of Light on a member of your group who is in danger, or on your Beacon of Light target to generate 1 Holy Power. In the past it has not been worth to cast healing spells on your Beacon target, but with the introduction of Holy Power, it is now acceptable.
Cooldowns for Holy Paladins
Holy Paladins have a number of cooldowns in their arsenal.
- Avenging Wrath increases your healing done and Critical Strike chance by 30% for 20 seconds. It is very useful during periods of high sustained damage.
- Lay on Hands heals the targeted ally for an amount equal to your maximum health, and has a 10-minute cooldown. It should be used to save dying raid members, especially tanks.
- Blessing of Sacrifice lasts 12 seconds, transferring 30% of the damage taken by the target to you, and reducing this damage transferred by 25%. The effect is automatically canceled if the transferred damage would cause you to fall below 20% health. This cooldown is excellent for reducing the damage taken by the tank, or other raid members.
- Aura Mastery empowers your chosen aura (tier 4 talent), increasing its range to 40 yards and also improving its efficiency. It is a raid cooldown, and it should be used at a time designated by your healing officer or raid leader.
- Blessing of Protection protects the targeted ally from all physical damage for 10 seconds, and it has a 5-minute cooldown. It can be used to clear harmful physical damage debuffs and bleeds from the target. Bosses will not attack targets affected by Blessing of Protection.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated spells to include new spells from leveling in Shadowlands.
- 29 Oct. 2020: Added information regarding Shield of the Righteous.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Spec Tier List for Mythic+ in Shadowlands
- Fan Concept of Nightborne Customization Options
- Vicarious Visions Studio Being Merged Into Blizzard by Activision
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 22nd
- Upcoming PvP Class Tuning: January 26th
- Official Overview of All Shadowlands Mounts, Pets and Toys Part 1
- Castle Nathria Tank and Healer Log Rankings and Analysis
- 21 Billion Gold Moves Through WoW Each Day