Protection Paladin Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Dragonflight 10.0.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Protection Paladin, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
As part of your progression through Shadowlands, you will gain the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. The Legendary powers are obtained via various gameplay sources, and once obtained you can craft your own specific, targeted Legendary! Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will detail the Legendary powers available and which are the best ones to use in any given situation.
Best Legendaries for Protection Paladin
In the table below, the recommended slot for each item is bolded.
|Raiding||The Mad Paragon||Waist or Feet||Quest: The Great Vault||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Single-Target DPS||The Mad Paragon||Waist or Feet||Quest: The Great Vault||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Mythic+||Bulwark of Righteous Fury||Shoulder or Finger||High Adjudicator Aleez (Halls of Atonement)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Generic Legendary||Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil||Head or Waist||Torghast (Fracture Chambers, Layer 3+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
Best Overall Legendary for Protection Paladin
The aim with the new Runecarving system is that you can target specific Legendaries, so you are not in a situation where you have to make the best of a bad situation. However, should you want a Legendary that works for all content types but is not strictly the best for all content types, we would recommend The Mad Paragon.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Protection Paladin
The Mad Paragon: This Legendary helps you push for more single-target DPS, and pairs exceptionally well with Ashen Hallow as both the bonuses from the ability and the Legendary stack together.
Other competitive options for Raiding include:
The Magistrate's Judgment can be valuable if you are feeling as if you need additional Holy Power generation.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you do not require the defensive benefit from a Legendary, we would recommend simming your character to find out what your highest DPS option is.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Protection Paladin
For Mythic+, Bulwark of Righteous Fury will be your choice, as it allows you to do the highest amount of AoE DPS of any Legendary option.
Other competitive options for Mythic+ include:
- Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil: being able to reset Avenger's Shield will facilitate higher AoE DPS.
- If you are a Kyrian, then Divine Resonance will provide you with additional utility. It will facilitate more AoE damage and silences/interrupts. However, for pure damage there are other options which are better.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Protection Paladin
Should you require additional Phantasma in Torghast then, Stable Phantasma Lure is a natural choice, as it will facilitate faster and more reliable Phantasma. Should you not need the additional Phantasma, then we would recommend a more generic Legendary choice, or the Mythic+ choice.
New Legendary in Patch 9.2 for Protection Paladin
In Patch 9.2 you will obtain Unity through the Zereth Mortis storyline. This will give you the power associated with your active Covenant and will change based on your current covenant. These powers are:
- Kyrian — Divine Resonance simply fires off additional casts of Avenger's Shield to your current target. It can be exceptionally powerful in scenarios where you will get multiple hits on Divine Toll such as Mythic+. This is further enhanced with the Soulbind trait Effusive Anima Accelerator which can reduce the cooldown of Divine Toll significantly.
- Venthyr — Radiant Embers provides you with a reduced cooldown on Ashen Hallow when you cancel the ability. This can potentially be used to allow Ashen Hallow to line up with Avenging Wrath better.
- Necrolord — Duty-Bound Gavel provides you with an additional charge of Vanquisher's Hammer. This Legendary is a respectable gain in power for Necrolord Paladins, however it addresses a concern of Vanquisher's Hammer — where it is forcing you to use your Word of Glory in a non-ideal way — via a Legendary Power, rather than addressing the concerns with the spell on its own.
- Night Fae — Seasons of Plenty enhances your Blessing of Summer and Blessing of Winter, empowering them by 100% for 10 seconds. This feeds into the fantasy of being a support player, however it is yet another external buff to party/raid members in an expansion that has seen community issues arise from these ( Power Infusion being a key example).
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Paladin Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- New Potential Evoker Spells Added in Patch 10.1 Build 48661
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 23rd
- Primordial Stone Hotfix Changes: March 23rd
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Day 1
- Mythic+ Tier List in Dragonflight Season 1 (Week 15)
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 22nd
- Class Set Updates and Clarifications in Patch 10.1: March 22nd
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 PTR Dev Notes: March 22nd