Protection Paladin Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Protection Paladin, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
As part of your progression through Shadowlands, you will gain the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. The Legendary powers are obtained via various gameplay sources, and once obtained you can craft your own specific, targeted Legendary! Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will detail the Legendary powers available and which are the best ones to use in any given situation.
Best Legendaries for Protection Paladin
In the table below, the recommended slot for each item is bolded.
|Focus||Legendary||Available Slots||Recommended Slot||Stats|
|Raiding||Relentless Inquisitor||Back or Legs||Torghast (The Upper Reaches, Layer 3+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Single-Target DPS||The Mad Paragon||Waist or Feet||Quest: The Great Vault||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Mythic+||Bulwark of Righteous Fury||Shoulder or Finger||High Adjudicator Aleez (Halls of Atonement)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Generic Legendary||Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil||Head or Waist||Torghast (Fracture Chambers, Layer 3+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
Best Overall Legendary for Protection Paladin
The aim with the new Runecarving system is that you can target specific Legendaries, so you are not in a situation where you have to make the best of a bad situation. However, should you want a Legendary that works for all content types but is not strictly the best for all content types, we would recommend Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil. This Legendary pairs well with the First Avenger talent. While it is not the highest DPS or defensive Legendary, it does a good job for both.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Protection Paladin
If raiding is your main focus, Relentless Inquisitor is especially powerful in this regard. It will provide you with more Haste which is provided as a value rather than Haste rating so it will be unaffected by Diminishing Returns.
Other competitive options for Raiding include:
- The Magistrate's Judgment: This Legendary simply allows you to have more Holy Power over the encounter period by triggering a chance to reduce the cost of your spenders ( Shield of the Righteous mainly).
- Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil: once again focusing on Holy Power economy, this Legendary will let Avenger's Shield have a chance to reset its cooldown.
- The Mad Paragon: If you are wanting to push for more single-target DPS, then this Legendary is the option for you. It pairs exceptionally well with Ashen Hallow as both the bonuses from the ability and the Legendary stack together.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you do not require the defensive benefit from a Legendary, we would recommend simming your character to find out what your highest DPS option is.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Protection Paladin
Other competitive options for Mythic+ include:
- Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil: being able to reset Avenger's Shield will facilitate higher AoE DPS.
- Vitality Sacrifice: as your damage intake will be higher from tanking multiple mobs at a time, this will trigger the effects of this Legendary, thus increasing your DPS.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Protection Paladin
Should you require additional Phantasma in Torghast then, Stable Phantasma Lure is a natural choice, as it will facilitate faster and more reliable Phantasma. Should you not need the additional Phantasma, then we would recommend a more generic Legendary choice, or the Mythic+ choice.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Legendary focus (single-target DPS). Included information around The Mad Paragon being used for Protection.
- 05 Dec. 2020: Updated information about Retribution legendaries used for Protection.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Burning Crusade Classic Beta Updates: Arena Matchmaking, Title and Gear Changes
- Burning Crusade Classic Release Date? Brief Ad Popup On Battle Net Indicates June 1st
- Children's Week Is Here, May 3rd to May 10th
- Fun Fact: Turtle Polymorph Unique Sleep Interaction
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 8: Shadow and Arcane Move Up at the Top
- Ve'nari Reputation Paragon Rewards in Patch 9.1
- World of Warcraft's 17th Anniversary Event Rewards
- A Summary of All Patch 9.1 Build 38511 Class Changes