Protection Paladin Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Protection Paladin, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
As part of your progression through Shadowlands, you will gain the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. The Legendary powers are obtained via various gameplay sources, and once obtained you can craft your own specific, targeted Legendary! Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will detail the Legendary powers available and which are the best ones to use in any given situation.
Best Legendaries for Protection Paladin
In the table below, the recommended slot for each item is bolded.
|Raiding||The Magistrate's Judgment||Wrist or Finger||Xav the Unfallen (Theater of Pain)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Single-Target DPS||The Mad Paragon||Waist or Feet (after killing Sylvanas Mythic it is worthwhile to re-craft on Waist for a small gain in stats)||Quest: The Great Vault||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Mythic+||Bulwark of Righteous Fury||Shoulder or Finger||High Adjudicator Aleez (Halls of Atonement)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
|Generic Legendary||Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil||Head or Waist||Torghast (Fracture Chambers, Layer 3+)||Haste and Mastery or Versatility|
Best Overall Legendary for Protection Paladin
The aim with the new Runecarving system is that you can target specific Legendaries, so you are not in a situation where you have to make the best of a bad situation. However, should you want a Legendary that works for all content types but is not strictly the best for all content types, we would recommend Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil. This Legendary pairs well with the First Avenger talent. While it is not the highest DPS or defensive Legendary, it does a good job for both.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Protection Paladin
If raiding is your main focus, The Magistrate's Judgment will be your go-to choice as it simply allows you to have more Holy Power over the encounter period by triggering a chance to reduce the cost of your spenders — mainly Shield of the Righteous.
Other competitive options for Raiding include:
- Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil: once again focusing on Holy Power economy, this Legendary will let Avenger's Shield have a chance to reset its cooldown.
- The Mad Paragon: If you are wanting to push for more single-target DPS, then this Legendary is the option for you. It pairs exceptionally well with Ashen Hallow as both the bonuses from the ability and the Legendary stack together.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you do not require the defensive benefit from a Legendary, we would recommend simming your character to find out what your highest DPS option is.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Protection Paladin
Other competitive options for Mythic+ include:
- Holy Avenger's Engraved Sigil: being able to reset Avenger's Shield will facilitate higher AoE DPS.
- If you are a Kyrian, then Divine Resonance will provide you with additional utility. It will facilitate more AoE damage, silences/interrupts, and Holy Power. However, for pure damage there are other options which are better.
- Vitality Sacrifice: as your damage intake will be higher from tanking multiple mobs at a time, this will trigger the effects of this Legendary, thus increasing your DPS.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Protection Paladin
Should you require additional Phantasma in Torghast then, Stable Phantasma Lure is a natural choice, as it will facilitate faster and more reliable Phantasma. Should you not need the additional Phantasma, then we would recommend a more generic Legendary choice, or the Mythic+ choice.
New Legendaries in Patch 9.1 for Protection Paladin
In Patch 9.1 every class will get one new Legendary for each Covenant. In the case of Protection Paladin the only one that has significant value would be for Kyrian players; the others are not overwhelmingly powerful enough that you would want to replace any of the above options with it.
- Kyrian — Divine Resonance simply fires off additional casts of Avenger's Shield to your current target. It looks to be exceptionally powerful in scenarios where you will get multiple hits on Divine Toll such as Mythic+. This is further enhanced with the new Soulbind trait Effusive Anima Accelerator which can reduce the cooldown of Divine Toll significantly.
- Venthyr — Radiant Embers provides you with a reduced cooldown on Ashen Hallow when you leave the area. However, it causes Ashen Hallow to despawn and ultimately is a low-performing choice.
- Necrolord — Duty-Bound Gavel provides you with an additional charge of Vanquisher's Hammer. This Legendary is a respectable gain in power for Necrolord Paladins, however it addresses a concern of Vanquisher's Hammer — where it is forcing you to use your Word of Glory in a non-ideal way — via a Legendary Power, rather than addressing the concerns with the spell on its own.
- Night Fae — Seasons of Plenty enhances your Blessing of Summer and Blessing of Winter, empowering them by 100% for 10 seconds. This feeds into the fantasy of being a support player, however it is yet another external buff to party/raid members in an expansion that has seen community issues arise from these ( Power Infusion being a key example).
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 21 Jul. 2021: Corrected typo in Legendary table column header.
- 18 Jul. 2021: Updated M+ Legendary choices for Kyrian.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Legendary focus (single-target DPS). Included information around The Mad Paragon being used for Protection.
- 05 Dec. 2020: Updated information about Retribution legendaries used for Protection.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- New Sylvanas Model Remains Encrypted in Patch 9.2 Build 41257
- Zereth Mortis Was in Plain Sight Long Before Patch 9.2
- New Datamined Gladiator's Echoing Resolve PvP Talent in Patch 9.2
- New Incubus / Succubus Warlock Items in Patch 9.2
- Updated Sepulcher of the First Ones Boss Descriptions
- The Jailer's Mace Has Some... Interesting Animations
- Patch 9.1.5 Hotfixes: December 1st
- Patch 9.2 Realms Will Remain Offline Until Tomorrow
- Laughing Skull Orcs Reputation Guide
- Havoc Demon Hunter Shadowlands
- The God-Queen's Fury (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- End of the Risen Threat (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- The Highlord's Return (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- An Impossible Foe (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- Feltotem's Fall (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- Closing the Eye (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)