Protection Warrior Tank Macros and Addons — Shadowlands 9.0.5
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.5.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Warrior addons and macros.
Generic Macros for Warriors
Mouseouver Interrupt Macro
- #showtooltip Pummel
- /cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] Pummel; Pummel
This macro allows you to cast Pummel on your mouseover target, or on your current target if your mouseover target is not valid.
Specific Macros for Protection Warriors
Mouseover Heroic Throw Macro
- #showtooltip Heroic Throw
- /cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] Heroic Throw; Heroic Throw
This macro allows you to use Heroic Throw on your mouseover target, or on your current target if the mouseover target is not valid.
Mouseover Taunt Macro
- #showtooltip Taunt
- /cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] Taunt; Taunt
This macro allows you to Taunt your mouseover target, or your current target if the mouseover target is not valid.
- #showtooltip Charge
- /cast [target=mouseover,help,exists,nodead]Intervene;Intervene
- /cast [target=target,harm,exists,nodead]Charge;Charge
Generic Addons for Warriors
Having a functional and readable interface is an extremely important aspect of the game that many overlook. What defines a good interface is subjective, but at the very least it should present any and all important information in a clear and direct way. What that important information is varies depending on your role and the kind of content you are doing, but over time you will figure out what information you need and do not need to display. Note that this section only goes over what is recommended for PvE content such as dungeons and raids. "Quality of Life" addons, such as bag addons, quest addons, etc, are not discussed here.
Most solid interfaces have the following:
- Centered action bars or WeakAuras. Whether it is just a couple WeakAuras tracking important procs, or all of your action bars, moving rotational information close to the center of your screen can be extremely beneficial.
- Centered unit frames. That is, the player frame and target frame.
- A boss mod, such as Deadly Boss Mods or BigWigs.
- While this pertains to some roles more than others, tracking the availability of things like other players' interrupts, external cooldowns, etc.
Again, a good interface is subjective. If you are the kind of player the only does open world content, then a more minimal interface may be better for you. Spending the time to create an interface that works for you is more than worth it. The above are simply suggestions. That being said, if you are not sure where to start, centering important information around your character and making sure that your various addons/interface elements do not overlap is a good guideline to follow.
The following addons are recommended for building a solid interface:
ElvUI is a complete replacement of the default interface. It is highly customizable and provides many useful features that the default interface does not. If you are looking to get up and running quickly, and do not want to mess around trying to build your own interface out of many different addons, ElvUI is highly recommended.
Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or BigWigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is BigWigs.
If you use Deadly Boss Mods, the addon DBM Voicepack VEM is highly recommended. This addon audibly warns you of upcoming mechanics.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
Details! Damage Meter
Details! is a well-known addon that many people use for displaying the current DPS of the members of your group. It has many more uses in addition to that, such as seeing the events that led up to a death, checking who dealt damage to a particular enemy, etc. It is an extremely versatile and useful addon.
If you are not using ElvUI (or another complete interface replacement), a good nameplate addon is a must. Plater Nameplates comes highly recommended for this. Nameplates are the health bars/names that appear above units' heads in the world.
If you like doing Mythic+, then a Mythic+ addon will prove to be very useful. An addon such as Angry Keystones displays more detailed information about time remaining, how many enemies are needed to complete the dungeon, and more.
Exorsus Raid Tools
Exorsus Raid Tools provides a vast array of useful functions. It is mostly modular, so you can enable only what you need. Take a look at the addon page to see all the different things it provides.
Specific Addons for Protection Warriors
Basic Threat Bar
For tanks, tracking threat can be extremely helpful in certain situations. Knowing if another player is going to take aggro from you or knowing if you are going to take aggro at a bad time can prevent wipes. For this, Basic Threat Bar is recommended.
Omen Threat Meter is a good alternative as well.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Covenant Flying Mounts (All Variants) and Pepes Preview Video
- Burning Crusade Beta Notes: April 15th
- 9.1 Chains of Domination Intro Questline: Battle of Ardenweald Video
- Sanctum of Domination 9.1 Raid Sneak Peek Video Previews
- Mammoth Walk Animation Updated in Patch 9.1
- Mage Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- Dreadlords Are Returning in Patch 9.1
- Druid Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- Havoc Demon Hunter Shadowlands
- Balance Druid Balancing Guide is . . . sloppy?
- Death Knight Legendary Powers
- Restoration Shaman Shadowlands
- Fire Mage PvP 9.0.5
- Mythic+ Tank Tier List
- Frost Mage Shadowlands
- I made TellMeWhen rotations for all classes based on the guides here. Great for leveling