Demonology Warlock Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Demonology Warlock in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
1. When Should I Cast Implosion?
Implosion should become a part of the regular rotation whenever 2 or more targets are stacked together. You should cast Implosion once every 2-3 casts of Hand of Gul'dan to maximize Soul Shard efficiency.
The damage that Wild Imps do when they Implode is based off of their remaining Energy on the primary target, while secondary targets take always full damage.
Please notice that Implosion does slightly more damage than letting Wild Imps cast their 5 Firebolts onto a target; however, beside Explosive Potential cases, you should not use Implosion single target, unless the enemy is about to die. Use that global cooldown to cast a generator instead.
2. How Do I Play With Explosive Potential?
After Battle of Dazar'alor heroic week hotfixes, Explosive Potential has become a very desirable trait to use even single target. The correct play is to try and aim for the highest uptime on its haste buff while trying to minimize the amount of globals spent casting Implosion outside Tyrant. In order to do so, you want to cast Implosion every 15 seconds with at least 3 imps out.
3. How Do I Use Demonic Core?
Demonic Core is an interesting proc, because it allows the player a wide degree of freedom to shape the gameplay to suit the encounter. These stacks essential equate to Soul Shards on demand, which can be used to fuel increased AoE, Cooldown Windows, and so on.
4. Is Doom Worth Using?
Doom is actually a competitive talent for 1-5 target scenarios, but only if the spell will actually tick.
5. What Piece is Better, X or Y?
The answer to this question in any context will always be to simulate it. This is because what is an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear has an effect on everything else.
This applies to gear, trinkets, Azerite Traits, and even talents in certain situations.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents, for example. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, Warcraft Logs offers empirical rankings and statistics and is one of the best resources to determine what the top players are doing.
6. How much of a specific Stat, like Haste, is required?
We are not being timid when we say that "the stat priority varies with each character". There is no hidden answer or secret stat priority only the "in-club" uses. The truth is that scale factors vary very greatly depending on your character.
Most basic "stat priorities" for guides are determined by simming a character with equal amounts of the secondary stats. This tells you a simple truth; when I have equal amounts of secondary stats, what is the best stat for my character?
The obvious answer is provided in our stats page, and should prove to be a largely universal metric to act by. That said, almost every character will desire differing priorities based on item level, Azerite Traits, and your current distribution of stats.
Long story short; if you want the most accurate answer, use a simulation tool to cater the results to your current gear level.
7. Which race is best for Demonology Warlock?
Racial traits in general have minimal impact on your overall DPS; however, if you absolutely want to maximise your output, you can look at the sims on our Simulations page.
8. How good is Demonology Warlock in Patch 8.2?
Demonology did not really change from the previous patch. It remains the best spec for high-level dungeons, thanks to extremely strong AoE, coupled with innate damage mitigation and short but meaningful cooldowns.
The introduction of Essences further empowered Demonology in its strong points, namely single-target and AoE, but did nothing to mitigate the spec's lack of multi-target capabilities, which is something that may end up hindering the viability in Eternal Palace last bosses.
In the end, Demonology is still a dominant choice in Mythic+ and a competitive pick in raid, unless spread cleave is required, in which case you may want to look elsewhere.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Updated for Eternal Palace release.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 11 Feb. 2019: Updated page to expand the opportunity cost of Implosion single target.
- 05 Feb. 2019: Updated page to include Explosive potential.
- 19 Dec. 2018: Updated page with additional questions.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 06 Nov. 2018: Updated Implosion/Doom info.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Eternal Palace Race Day 2: 5/8, Method and Limit Exchanging the Lead
- Quick LFR Wing 1 Tips from WoW Instagram
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 17th
- WoW Classic Global Stress Test Postponed
- World First Glory of the Eternal Raider Completed
- Eternal Palace Race Day 1: 3/8 Down, Ashvane Stands + Kill Videos
- Not a Bug List Updated with Many Issues
- Conflict and Strife Rank 2 Hotfix Now Live
- Mechagon and Junkyard Tinkering
- Retribution Paladin 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Essence Guide
- Destruction Warlock 8.2
- Arcane Mage PvP 8.1.5
- Priest Leveling Guide