Demonology Warlock Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Demonology Warlock in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
1. When Should I Cast Implosion?
Implosion should become a part of the regular rotation whenever 2 or more targets are stacked together. You should cast Implosion once every 2-3 casts of Hand of Gul'dan to maximize Soul Shard efficiency.
The damage that Wild Imps do when they Implode is based off of their remaining Energy on the primary target, while secondary targets take always full damage.
2. How Do I Use Demonic Core?
Demonic Core is an interesting proc, because it allows the player a wide degree of freedom to shape the gameplay to suit the encounter. These stacks essential equate to Soul Shards on demand, which can be used to fuel increased AoE, Cooldown Windows, and so on.
3. Is Doom Worth Using?
Doom is actually a competitive talent for 1-5 target scenarios, but only if the spell will actually tick.
4. What Piece is Better, X or Y?
The answer to this question in any context will always be to simulate it. This is because what is an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear has an effect on everything else.
This applies to gear, trinkets, Azerite Traits, and even talents in certain situations.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents, for example. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, Warcraft Logs offers empirical rankings and statistics and is one of the best resources to determine what the top players are doing.
5. How much of a specific Stat, like Haste, is required?
We are not being timid when we say that "the stat priority varies with each character". There is no hidden answer or secret stat priority only the "in-club" uses. The truth is that scale factors vary very greatly depending on your character.
Most basic "stat priorities" for guides are determined by simming a character with equal amounts of the secondary stats. This tells you a simple truth; when I have equal amounts of secondary stats, what is the best stat for my character?
The obvious answer is provided in our stats page, and should prove to be a largely universal metric to act by. That said, almost every character will desire differing priorities based on item level, Azerite Traits, and your current distribution of stats.
Long story short; if you want the most accurate answer, use a simulation tool to cater the results to your current gear level.
6. Which race is best for Demonology Warlock?
Racial traits in general have minimal impact on your overall DPS; however, if you absolutely want to maximise your output, you can look at the sims on our Simulations page.
7. How good is Demonology Warlock in Patch 8.1?
Demonology has received many changes in Patch 8.1. With some much-needed talent buffs, it now performs extremely well in sustained It still suffers in spread multi-target situations, but at the moment, is a top pick for both Uldir farming and pushing high Mythic+ keys, despite Felguard lacking an interrupt.
- 19 Dec. 2018: Updated page with additional questions.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 06 Nov. 2018: Updated Implosion/Doom info.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- WoW Esports in 2019
- PvP Season 1: Arena and RBG Title Cutoffs
- Tides of Vengeance Part II: Survival Guide
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 28938: Class Changes
- BfA PvP Season 2 Preview [Official]
- Tools of the Trade in Patch 8.1.5
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Druid Empowered Moonkin Form
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Guardian Druid 8.1
- Need help with BoS
- Feral Druid 8.1
- when to use blizzard/aoe as frost?
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.1
- Unholy Death Knight PvP 8.1
- Survival Hunter PvP 8.1