Demonology Warlock DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Demonology Warlock in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Mythic+ Introduction for Demonology Warlock
Mythic+ has become a large part of the World of Warcraft endgame, but the sheer amount of different variables has left many players feeling overwhelmed. The group composition, weekly affixes, the item level of the group, the keystone level, and the experience and comfort level of the group are just several of the factors that will influence how you approach each dungeon. The purpose of this page is to prepare you for the key differences that set Mythic+ apart from the typical World of Warcraft endgame experience, including talents and rotational anomalies that may not be obvious at first glance.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Tier One Affixes
- Fortified increases the Health pool of all non-boss enemies by 20% and damage dealt by 30%.
- Tyrannical increases the Health pool of boss enemies by 40% and their damage dealt by 15%.
Fortified and Tyrannical are two affixes, one of which is always present on all Mythic+ Keystones, regardless of level. These affixes shift the focus of dungeons from boss damage to trash damage depending on the current affix. Demonology Warlocks are fairly flexible, dealing with either affix well. Fortified can sometimes cause our cooldowns to line up better pack to pack, which can make the specialization feel very fluid.
Tier Two Affixes
- Raging increases the damage dealt by enemies below 30% by 100% until they die.
- Teeming adds additional trash mobs to certain packs throughout each dungeon.
- Bolstering buffs remaining enemies Health pools and damage dealt by 20% when an enemy dies nearby. To counter this affix, DPS all mobs down evenly and focus your casts into high Health mobs if there are any.
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when a mob is slain. This pool will heal remaining enemies who stay inside the zone and also damage players.
- Bursting forces enemy mobs to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their max Health in damage every four seconds..
Tier Three Affixes
- Volcanic spawns volcanic plumes underneath and around players when in combat with any enemy. When damaged by Volcanic, players suffer 50% of their maximum Health pool in damage. The more enemies you are in combat with, the more Volcanic that will spawn.
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking DoT when they fall below 90%.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum Health in damage to each player caught in the zone as well as interrupting any hard casts being finished during the shockwave.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction and minor DoT.
- Skittish reduces the amount of threat generated by tanks throughout the dungeon.
These affixes can be difficult for Demonology as they generally necessitate an interruption in your rotation, which stops most of your damage output. Focus on maximizing movement and casts to improve your damage and lessen damage intake.
Season 4: Awakened
Awakened is the seasonal affix for season 4 of Battle for Azeroth. In each dungeons there will be 4 Black Empire Obelisks in various points. When interacting with an Obelisk, player will cross into N'Zoth's realm and will have to face the Obelisk Lieutenant, which will summon additional adds in aid. After the Lieutenant is defeated a portal will appear allowing the player to phase back. While phased out, players will be immune and invisible allowing to navigate through the instance and skipping parts that would have been otherwise possible only with a Rogue in the party. Players can also opt to not kill every Lieutenant before the end of the run, but doing so will materialize the remaining Lieutenants during the final boss encounter, albeit with no additional adds.
It is important to have cooldowns for each Lieutenant and to pay attention to each ability they cast:
On Blood of the Corruptor, you can interrupt Mindred Tentacles' Mind Flay cast with your Felhunter.
Mythic+ Talents for Demonology Warlock
|15||✗ Dreadlash||? Demonic Strength||✓ Bilescourge Bombers|
|30||✓ Demonic Calling||✗ Power Siphon||? Doom|
|45||? Demon Skin||✓ Burning Rush||✓ Dark Pact|
|60||✗ From the Shadows||✓ Soul Strike||? Summon Vilefiend|
|75||✓ Darkfury||✓ Mortal Coil||✓ Demonic Circle|
|90||? Soul Conduit||✗ Inner Demons||✓ Grimoire: Felguard|
|100||✗ Sacrificed Souls||✓ Demonic Consumption||✗ Nether Portal|
Most of our explanations are geared towards keystones that challenge the current item level of your group. If you are doing keystones that are well below the current power level of the group, you should default to our build recommended above, as you will likely be able to do pulls much larger than intended, which skews the talent choices towards AoE and burst focused choices rather than builds that support sustained damage.
Tier 1/Level 15
Demonic Strength provides burst AoE every minute, on top of offering a single target increase, making it a good choice for virtually all keys if you time your pulls accordingly.
Following the Patch 8.1 buffs, Bilescourge Bombers is the default choice for any situation, offering the best single target and multitarget output.
Tier 2/Level 30
If you struggle to transition to the next pack with enough resources (shards/cores) running Power Siphon can help.
Tier 3/Level 45
Dark Pact is a great choice for challenging keystones, as the cooldown is often necessary to survive lethal boss abilities or the more difficult trash pulls.
Tier 4/Level 60
Soul Strike provides consistent Soul Shard generation, additional mobility, and gives you additional pet control. This talent makes AoE feel a little smoother and helps with affixes that necessitate heavy movement. At 3 or more targets, this is the highest damage choice.
Summon Vilefiend could be used for instances with very difficult bosses on Tyrannical keys, as it is the best choice for up to 2 target situations.
Tier 5/Level 75
Demonic Circle can be used creatively in some dungeons, such as to make certain bosses easier for yourself.
Mortal Coil is a strong choice whenever you do not need the mobility given by Demonic Circle. It offers a noticeable heal on top of an additional form of Crowd Control, which can prevent a wipe, especially in Mythic dungeons.
Tier 6/Level 90
Grimoire: Felguard provides strong single target and AoE damage and helps power through difficult packs.
Inner Demons is a passive choice that provides sustained single target damage at the cost of lower cleave potential.
Tier 7/Level 100
Sacrificed Souls is an all around choice that provides a steady and stable damage increase.
Nether Portal is a viable option for strict single-target situations or if you need a damage boost every 3 minute.
Following the Patch 8.1 buffs, Demonic Consumption is the go-to choice for every type of content, offering a noticeable burst every 90 seconds on top of the highest sustained output.
Essence Choices for Demonology Warlock
Essence of the Focusing Iris's Focused Azerite Beam is an exceptionally strong choice for dungeons, substantially increasing Demonology output during trash pulls, as it provides a powerful AoE cooldown on 1.5-minute cooldown.
Vision of Perfection is another noteworthy choice, enabling higher Tyrant uptime and reduced cooldowns, but lacking the control over when to proc the Essence Tyrant. Overall a solid choice, albeit one more tailored towards single-target output.
Worldvein Resonance can be considered as a balanced approach: strong on trash packs as well as bosses. Treat it like a Mage Rune of Power, and stay in range of the crystals during cooldowns.
Blood of the Enemy is an interesting choice in dungeons where you can easily stand in melee range in order to activate the major power and have your Tyrant or Felguard benefit from both increased critical strike chance and critical damage. The 1.5-minute cooldown makes it line up nicely with Demonology cooldowns, outside of Grimoire: Felguard.
For the choice of minor, if you need to bolster your AoE damage, consider taking Purification Protocol.
Vision of Perfection's Strive for Perfection translates into additional Tyrants during a dungeon run, making it a valuable option.
Stat Priority for Demonology Warlock
- Critical Strike;
When playing with Explosive Potential:
- Critical Strike ≥ Mastery;
Pet Choice for Demonology Warlock
You should be using your Felguard at all times as a Demonology Warlock. In Shrine of the Storm, if you do not run with a dual melee setup consider talenting Bilescourge Bombers and Summon Vilefiend so you can freely swap to Felhunter when you need interrupts.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3.
- 18 Jul. 2019: Updated for Season 3 release.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 08 Feb. 2019: Updated page to reflect influence of Explosive Potential trait.
- 22 Jan. 2019: Updated for Battle of Dazar'alor release.
- 14 Dec. 2018: Updated tier 7 talent checkmarks.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1. Reviewed talent advice.
- 06 Nov. 2018: Updated talent builds and description.
- 04 Sep. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Spirit of Eche'ro Mount Quest Now Available on Live Servers
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 14th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 13th
- Warsong Gulch Exit Portals to Be Removed
- MDI and AWC 2020 Plans and Changes Revealed
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 12th
- Blackwing Lair Cleared in Under an Hour, World First Videos
- Blackwing Lair Raid in WoW Classic (Official Preview)
- Restoration Shaman 8.2
- Mistweaver Monk PvP 8.1.5
- Holy Paladin 8.2
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Lunar Festival
- Mythic+ Affixes
- BfA Level 120 Battle Guide