Guardian Druid Tank Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.0.2
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Guardian Druid in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.2.
Guardian Druid in Mythic+
While not necessarily "meta" yet, Guardian Druid is definitely one of the strongest tanks in Mythic+, in Season 1 of Shadowlands. Our defensive capabilities are almost unmatched, and our unique utility tools such as Soothe and Remove Corruption are extremely valuable within the Shadowlands dungeons.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 1 page below.
Guardian Druid Mythic+ Rotation
The single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Guardian Druid rotation, refer to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
Covenant Abilities and When to Use Them
- Kyrian — Kindred Spirits should generally be used off cooldown on your highest DPS player or a DPS who is going to use cooldowns while it is active on them.
- Night Fae — Convoke the Spirits has a couple of unique uses; for the highest damage you should shift into Moonkin Form and cast Sunfire before casting Convoke the Spirits, which will generate huge amounts of threat, as when you shift back into Bear you will almost always have a buff of Starfall, which does massive AoE damage. Alternatively, you can shift out of any form before casting Convoke the Spirits if your group requires large amounts of healing and you are safe to do so. You may also just cast in Bear form if you are in danger of dying or looking for more of a personal survival boost.
- Venthyr — Ravenous Frenzy is best used in combination with Berserk or Incarnation: Guardian of Ursoc, as it will drastically boost the power of these abilities and the cooldown syncs up perfectly.
- Necrolord — Adaptive Swarm is generally best to be used off cooldown, as it is quite short and stacks up to 5 times if it is already active on the target you are trying to cast it on. Alternatively, you can cast it on yourself right before casting Frenzied Regeneration, as it will boost the healing from this massively.
Guardian Druid Utility
- Ursol's Vortex conjures a ground zone for 10 seconds that will slow all enemies affected by 50%. It will also pull them to the center after the first time they attempt to leave the circle. It is an extremely powerful tool for kiting, especially during Necrotic weeks.
- Incapacitating Roar disorients nearby enemies that are not immune to being crowd-controlled. Use this as a mass interrupt, or as a quick crowd control to help you put distance between yourself and the enemy to catch up on healing.
- Remove Corruption removes all harmful curse and poison debuffs from the target. Many dungeons apply these types of effects, and being able to dispel them is a great piece of utility.
- Soothe will remove all enrage effects on a single enemy. In particular, this works against the Raging affix, making it a very powerful tool in Mythic+.
- Entangling Roots can be used to root patrolling enemies to prevent them from entering combat with you, or to skip them entirely. Casting it will cancel Bear Form however, so do not cast it while you are actively tanking.
- Hibernate can be used similarly to Entangling Roots, but it can also be used as a hard crowd control against attacking beasts and dragonkin to prevent them from casting spells or auto attacking nearby players.
- Skull Bash interrupts spell casts, and prevents spells from the same school from being cast again for 4 seconds. Skull Bash has a 13 yard range, and casting it from out of melee range will cause you to charge into melee range to interrupt. Note that although the charge animation has travel time, the interrupt happens as soon as you use the spell.
- Rebirth resurrects dead allies in combat. This costs 30 Rage, but it can be especially useful if your healer dies during an encounter.
- Regrowth is a single target heal. Casting it will cancel Bear Form, but it can be used between pulls to help the healer top people off or get rid of Grievous.
- Stampeding Roar is mainly used for short bursts of movement speed indoors or during combat. It is generally used for kiting or going from one pack to the next, but is also useful for speeding your friends out of dangerous ground mechanics.
- Restoration Affinity, unlocks spells that can provide huge amounts of healing to both you and your group. Fantastic for affixes such as Grievous and Bursting.
- Wild Growth, unlocked through Restoration Affinity, is a group-wide heal over time. Like Swiftmend, Wild Growth cancels Bear Form when cast. Use it to assist your healer between pulls or during periods of heavy group damage, when you are not actively tanking.
Mythic+ Talents for Guardian Druids
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+. These talents are recommended for all affixes and keystone levels. For more information on particular talents and when to use them, refer to Talents and Builds page linked below.
|15||✓ Brambles||✓ Blood Frenzy||? Bristling Fur|
|25||✗ Tiger Dash||✓ Renewal||✓ Wild Charge|
|30||✓ Balance Affinity||✗ Feral Affinity||✓ Restoration Affinity|
|35||✓ Mighty Bash||? Mass Entanglement||✓ Heart of the Wild|
|40||✗ Soul of the Forest||✓ Galactic Guardian||✓ Incarnation: Guardian of Ursoc|
|45||✓ Earthwarden||? Survival of the Fittest||✗ Guardian of Elune|
|50||✓ Rend and Tear||✗ Tooth and Claw||✗ Pulverize|
Legendary powers for Guardian Druid
The Natural Order's Will is one of the best options for us in any content that is remotely dangerous; the massive defensive boost from this legendary power is extremely noticeable and it is a hard one to take off once you get used to having it. One thing to note is that this is a pure defensive legendary, so it loses value in content such as low level keys where you are not necessarily in need of a fully defensive-focused legendary.
Ursoc's Fury Remembered is a balanced alternative, boosting both our offensive and defensive capabilities by a significant margin. This is a really enjoyable legendary to play with, and you will definitely be impressing your group with the huge healing numbers you are able to sustain with this.
While the two above are preferable Legendaries for Mythic+ there are plenty of other effects out there. For more in-depth information about Legendaries take a look at our Legendary page.
Best Covenants for Guardian Druid in Mythic+
All 4 covenant choices for Guardian Druid are extremely close, and there is no single "best" choice. Each will have different strengths and weaknesses depending on dungeon/pull type/key level and your group personally. This is fantastic news! Blizzard's excellent covenant balance means you can pick whatever covenant you feel the most comfortable on and not be at a disadvantage.
If you wish to know more about Covenants, take a look at our Covenant guide. It will go over all 4 of them explaining their strengths and weaknesses.
Trinkets and Gearing for Guardian Druids in Mythic+
When choosing the optimal trinkets and gear for Mythic+, you first have to choose whether you want to focus on a defensive setup, an offensive setup, or a balance of the two. This will depend on the level of key you are doing and the gear of your group. Generally, we suggest using one large healing/defensive trinket and one offensive trinket for better threat management. For an in-depth analysis of the best gear for the right situations, check out our BiS Gear page below.
The Importance of Kiting
In higher level Mythic+, it is extremely common to kite mobs when you and your healer start to run out of cooldowns; this gives your healer a chance to catch back up and a chance for both of your personal cooldowns to come back up. Kiting is usually a very small damage loss for your DPS but, if you have the option, it can be a good idea to communicate to them that you are going to kite so they do not drop any strong ground abilities and waste large amounts of damage.
Remember to try not to turn your back to enemies while you are kiting, as you cannot dodge from behind and it can cause you to quickly take massive amounts of damage.
- 06 Dec. 2020: Page updated for Season 1 of Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- An Excellent Class and Spec Pick Flowchart Meme (Or Is it?)
- There Are Worse Fates than Being Carried by a Kyrian...
- Players Manipulate Turn Speed Variable while Mind Controlling Others
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 15th
- How to Get Raid, PvP and Any Legendary Memories Without Doing the Related Activity
- How to Loot Faster in World of Warcraft
- How to Fool Bots With Toys
- Patch 9.1 Will Be Released in Spring 2021