Survival Hunter DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we explain how to easily play Survival Hunter in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of Survival
Survival is a versatile melee spec capable of quite powerful single-target and sometimes very powerful AoE. It also has great crowd control capabilities for a melee.
The talents listed below are selected either for ease of use, or for more a more simple to understand gameplay style. Whilst in a number of cases there are alternatives on the tree that will provide more if played well, they create much more room to play incorrectly and reduce your performance. Due to this, treat this as a starting point and a primer.
- Level 15: Alpha Predator
- Level 30: Guerrilla Tactics
- Level 45: Natural Mending
- Level 60: Bloodseeker
- Level 75: Posthaste
- Level 90: Mongoose Bite
- Level 100: Wildfire Infusion
Stat Choices of Survival Hunter
The general single-target stat priority for a Survival Hunter is:
- Critical Strike;
Haste is the best stat for Survival by a significant margin, and you should be looking out for it on your pieces of gear. Item level should still be the primary concern, but a Haste piece might be better than a higher item level piece without Haste.
Basic Single-Target Rotation
Remember to read and treat this rotation as a priority list. If the top option is not available), move on to the next and so on.
- Cast Kill Command on cooldown. Try not to be at high Focus when using it.
- Cast Wildfire Bomb on cooldown.
- Maintain the Serpent Sting DoT by refreshing it whenever there is less than 3 seconds remaining on it.
- Cast Mongoose Bite to spend Focus when there is nothing else to do. Try to never let your Focus reach maximum by using this ability aggressively when you are close to the Focus cap.
Use Aspect of the Eagle when you will be out of range for a sustained period of time, allowing you to DPS from range.
Azerite Traits play an important role for Survival Hunter. This means you need to decide which Azerite items you should choose. The traits are very close to each other in power, though, so we recommend our Azerite trait page for more details.
We recommend using the Crucible of Flame as your Major essence. You unlock by starting the Patch 8.2 questline. It is upgraded by reaching higher Heart of Azeroth levels. Use the ability it gives you on cooldown.
In the Minor slots that you unlock later on, you can use Worldvein Resonance, which is unlocked by doing Island Expeditions, and The Unbound Force, which is unlocked by gaining reputation with your Nazjatar faction.
Please refer to our Survival essence page, for more information.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Added information about Azerite Traits and Essences to go for.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Crucible of Storms and no changes are necessary.
- 29 Mar. 2019: Updated the Level 90 Talent Recommendation for Survival Easy Mode.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated the optimal talent from Mongoose Bite to Tip of the Spear and updated the stat priority.
- Jokerd Removed from Method Org After Ninja Looting
- Pet Battle Changes in 8.3: Visions of N'zoth (Official Preview)
- N'Zoth Raid Testing Streams
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- Fire Mage 8.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.2
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Holy Priest 8.2
- What’s the better PC?
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk